Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace officially a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Can the Steelers reduce the tender now?
    why in the hell would they?

this is just posturing. Some of you guys need to take a deep breath.

the wallace deal will get done. Jeez louise.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    why in the hell would they?

this is just posturing. Some of you guys need to take a deep breath.

the wallace deal will get done. Jeez louise.

Maybe they could try and trade him instead.

Legend

User Info Menu

I still think he'll report soon. The Steelers will usually contact hold-outs and tell them they'll negotiate in good faith once he reports. That translated means they are close in numbers and a contract will get done.

But if this drags on, both sides are way off.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Settle down...give it a couple of days for the nuts & bolts to be ironed out & he'll be there. Maybe not even that long. Wes Saunders just about let the cat out of the bag- the deal looks to be just about in place.
    I think there's a correlation between being rational and living far away from Pittsburgh. I'm only 500 miles away so this drama gets me going.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bus Cook, Agent for Mike Wallace, Has a Client History of Training Camp Drama

by Neal Coolong on Jul 25, 2012

Steelers WR Mike Wallace's decision whether to sign his restricted free agency tender offer of $2.7 million has been the headline-grabbing story this off-season.

With that off-season all but finished (players report to training camp today for the infamous conditioning test with practice beginning Thursday), that one-year contract is nothing but unsigned.

Will Wallace show up today, sign the contract, run his 16 110-yard sprints (or some other ungodly amount) and let his agent and the front office continue negotiating a long-term deal? Or will he sit it all out?

There's been nothing but conjecture and speculation to this point (including a poorly timed joke Tuesday announcing Wallace had signed a five-year deal, just an hour after the Steelers announced an extension for head coach Mike Tomlin), but the fact is Wallace cannot practice with the team until his contract is signed.

The team wants him in training camp. Ergo, he isn't going to get a long-term deal until he signs the offer in front of him.

That's what makes this situation different for Wallace than it was for former Steelers WR Hines Ward, who held out the first two weeks of the 2005 season. Ward was under contract, and subjected to fines for missing practice. Wallace is not, and cannot be fined.

So what are the odds he signs either his tender offer or a long-term deal today?

Taking a look at the client list of his agent, Bus Cook, a few notable names pop out. First is Lions WR Calvin Johnson, who signed an eight-year, $132 million contract - $60 million guaranteed - this offseason. While no one would confuse Wallace for Johnson, it shows Cook has negotiated the largest wide receiver contract in history.

Not dramatic, but it shows Cook's vision. If Wallace is seen as half the player Johnson is, it's a pretty substantial deal.

Another Cook client, Jaguars TE Marcedes Lewis, held out for five days starting training camp last year. He differs from Wallace in that Lewis signed the franchise tag he was given before camp started, so he was fined for each of the five days he missed before he reported. The Steelers do not have that leverage on Wallace.

Lewis signed a five-year, $25 million contract five days after his holdout ended.

Cook also handles Bears QB Jay Cutler, perhaps best known for his stint in Denver where he eventually requested a trade from the team that drafted him. Put the blame for that on Cutler or Cook or former head coach Josh McDaniels, the fact is there isn't much precedent for a franchise quarterback demanding a trade three years after his selection.

And let's not forget Brett Favre. His "Will-He-Or-Won't-He" act will be forever a part of football and pop culture history. Perhaps not something to blame on the agent, but again, something you just don't see much of throughout the league.

This isn't to suggest Cook's clients all pull stunts, or even that Wallace would be wrong for holding out, it does show recent history of some of his clients taking action that would not place them with their respective teams at the start of camp.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/7/25/3185702/steelers-training-camp-holdout-mike-wallace-bus-cook-marcedes-lewis-hines-ward[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

F you wallace. this is exactly why i wanted the steelers to reduce his tender on the first day eligible. the organization showed good faith by not reducing it and wallace repays that gesture by not showing up to camp...........F you.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ed: Tomlin to Wallace: This 'Thing' Bigger than You

WEDNESDAY, 25 JULY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Coach Mike Tomlin held a press conference after the run-test this afternoon and listed six players who will open training camp on the PUP or physically unable to perform list: James Harrison (knee), Max Starks (knee), Rashard Mendenhall (knee), Casey Hampton (knee), Jason Worilds (wrist) and Damon Cromartie-Smith (shoulder).

He also addressed Mike Wallace’s absence:

“Obviously Mike Wallace was not here today. I don’t know when he’s going to be here. Obviously we have a desire for him to be here. We want him to be a part of this thing both short term and long term. We’ve been in negotiations with him. He’s not here today. It’s unfortunate for him.

One thing that experience has taught me is that this is bigger than all of us. It’s bigger than Mike, it’s bigger than me, so I mean that when I say it’s unfortunate for him that he’s not here.

“This group that is the Pittsburgh Steelers will continue to push on. We’ll focus our energies of readying the people who are here and when he shows up, he shows up.”

As we’ve written, a source told us the Steelers will end negotiations on a multiple-year contract until Wallace reports.

“I’m less concerned about negotiations from a coach’s standpoint,’’ Tomlin said. “I want the player here. We’ve extended a tender to him, of course he hasn’t signed it. But I’m focused on the guys here working so I won’t focus on him until he gets here.”

And as for Emmanuel Sanders possibly winning Wallace’s job the longer he stays out, Tomlin said, “I’m not going to get into the hypotheticals. What I’m going to do is work with Emmanuel Sanders because he’s here, and be excited about doing it.”

[URL]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117345-ed-tomlin-to-wallace-this-thing-bigger-than-you[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Ed: Tomlin to Wallace: This 'Thing' Bigger than You

WEDNESDAY, 25 JULY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Coach Mike Tomlin held a press conference after the run-test this afternoon and listed six players who will open training camp on the PUP or physically unable to perform list: James Harrison (knee), Max Starks (knee), Rashard Mendenhall (knee), Casey Hampton (knee), Jason Worilds (wrist) and Damon Cromartie-Smith (shoulder).

He also addressed Mike Wallace’s absence:

“Obviously Mike Wallace was not here today. I don’t know when he’s going to be here. Obviously we have a desire for him to be here. We want him to be a part of this thing both short term and long term. We’ve been in negotiations with him. He’s not here today. It’s unfortunate for him.

One thing that experience has taught me is that this is bigger than all of us. It’s bigger than Mike, it’s bigger than me, so I mean that when I say it’s unfortunate for him that he’s not here.

“This group that is the Pittsburgh Steelers will continue to push on. We’ll focus our energies of readying the people who are here and when he shows up, he shows up.”

As we’ve written, a source told us the Steelers will end negotiations on a multiple-year contract until Wallace reports.

“I’m less concerned about negotiations from a coach’s standpoint,’’ Tomlin said. “I want the player here. We’ve extended a tender to him, of course he hasn’t signed it. But I’m focused on the guys here working so I won’t focus on him until he gets here.”

And as for Emmanuel Sanders possibly winning Wallace’s job the longer he stays out, Tomlin said, “I’m not going to get into the hypotheticals. What I’m going to do is work with Emmanuel Sanders because he’s here, and be excited about doing it.”

[URL]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117345-ed-tomlin-to-wallace-this-thing-bigger-than-you[/URL]
    Tomlin's one passive aggressive cat.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Tomlin's one passive aggressive cat.
    How so? What leads you to believe that?

Legend

User Info Menu

Source: Mike Wallace doesn't report

Updated: July 25, 2012
    ESPN.com news services

Talks between the Pittsburgh Steelers and unsigned restricted free agent Mike Wallace have broken off, and the Steelers don't plan to talk contract until the wide receiver reports to camp, a source told ESPN senior NFL writer John Clayton on Wednesday.

The sides exchanged proposals Monday without resolution.

On Tuesday, according to the source, contact between the sides was minimal as they hoped a break in the talks would create a fresh chance of resolution. But with Wallace not reporting for the start of Steelers camp Wednesday afternoon, Pittsburgh isn't planning to do much more in trying to resolve the dispute, the source said.

The Steelers had a Wednesday deadline of 3 p.m. ET to report to training camp. With Wallace not under contract, the team won't have the ability to fine him.

"Obviously, we have a desire for him to be here," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "We want him to be part of this thing, both short term and long term. We've been in negotiations with him. He's not here today. That's unfortunate for him."

Wallace skipped all of the team's offseason workouts and has not signed his $2.7 million first-round tender. The Steelers have the franchise tag available after the season if Wallace plays out this year under the one-year restricted tender.

General manager Kevin Colbert reiterated last month the speedy Wallace remains in the team's future plans.

"Our intention has always been to sign Mike to a long-term contract," Colbert said.

Steelers team president Art Rooney II also has said the team wants to sign Wallace to a multiyear contract.

Wallace caught 72 passes for 1,193 yards and eight passing touchdowns last season, all team highs. In three seasons, he has 171 catches for 3,206 yards and 24 TDs.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8199991/source-pittsburgh-steelers-wide-receiver-mike-wallace-break-contract-talks[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha