Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Redman may not be the starting RB.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Dwyer has a lot of raw talent, but he is lazy. He is always over weight and sluggish. If he shows up to camp in shape and motivated, well its a no brainer to start him, until he loses it mentally.
    I think Dwyer has to do a lot more than show up in shape to earn the starting job... showing up in shape shouldn't be applauded... it's expected.

Legend

User Info Menu

Big, beefy interior OL, emphasis on a renewed ground game...winter football in Pittsburgh...

Everyone's forgotten John Clay?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Frankly this topic is ridiculous and the title is a random opinion.
    Redman starts barring injury. And you better pray nothing happens to him cause we have a splattering of other backs with some talent. But none of them are going to handle 15-20 carries a week.
    Clay is pretty much a plodding nobody though he could linger as a backup for a couple years.
    Batch and Rainey can't handle a heavy workload, but will be nice compliment backs.
    Dwyer has been dodging the Turk for a couple years.
    He'll be on the team, but will again be an afterthought.
    If he had to carry 15 times in a game, he'd need to be put on life support after the game. His 'talent' has been over-valued for years by a select group of Steelers fans. Dude is limited in many ways. He always has a nice first play, then rolls into the fetal position if he has to have back to back plays.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Frankly this topic is ridiculous and the title is a random opinion.
    Redman starts barring injury. And you better pray nothing happens to him cause we have a splattering of other backs with some talent. But none of them are going to handle 15-20 carries a week.
    Clay is pretty much a plodding nobody though he could linger as a backup for a couple years.
    Batch and Rainey can't handle a heavy workload, but will be nice compliment backs.
    Dwyer has been dodging the Turk for a couple years.
    He'll be on the team, but will again be an afterthought.
    If he had to carry 15 times in a game, he'd need to be put on life support after the game. His 'talent' has been over-valued for years by a select group of Steelers fans. Dude is limited in many ways. He always has a nice first play, then rolls into the fetal position if he has to have back to back plays.
    I agree... I know Largo gets good info but it sure seems like Redman has to prove himself time and time again while every other unproven RB needs little more then a heartbeat in order to take over as the starter.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Redman is going to rack up 430 yards and 6 TDs through the first 4 games and we are going to forget this thread ever existed.
    That is what I'm envisioning/hoping for too.

TBH, I have very high hopes for Redman. I liken his situation to Barry Foster way back when. Now, it would be unrealistic to expect Redman to break the single-season team record for rushing (like Foster did), but I think the potential to take the job is there.

I would be DISAPPOINTED if Redman isn't the Week 1 starter and bellcow.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Redman is going to rack up 430 yards and 6 TDs through the first 4 games and we are going to forget this thread ever existed.
    Agreed. I believe Dwyer has about as much chance starting (barring injury) as I do.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Eich][/B]Fine by me. I already think that Redman is better than Spindenhall. If Dwyer is better than Redman, plug him in !
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Personally I'm tried of reading this. Yes Redman plowed the hell out of any hole he saw and I wished Mendenhall would do the same but Mendenhall sees the cut back lanes etc that Redman doesn't see and because of our spotty line play Redman ran better at time. Mendenhall behind a vastly improved line IMO is a top 8 back in the NFL. Hopefully we get a chance to see what he's capable of behind a solid line.
    Personally, I got tired of watching Mendy spin and dance to try to avoid first contact rather than picking a hole and hitting it. I think Mendy is a better athlete than Redman and is quicker, faster and able to cut more drastically but all that talented seemed to get stifled at the line rather than unleashed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Eich I hear what you are saying. I think with our old OL, that Redman was actually the clear choice to start. Behind that line, I believe Redman to be the more effective back. But, behind this OL? Woo wee...I would love to see Mendenhall run behind these guys. He needs holes, and some space...and if you give it to him he can be a top back in this league.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Eich I hear what you are saying. I think with our old OL, that Redman was actually the clear choice to start. Behind that line, I believe Redman to be the more effective back. But, behind this OL? Woo wee...I would love to see Mendenhall run behind these guys. He needs holes, and some space...and if you give it to him he can be a top back in this league.
    I sorta agree with this, but looking back, I seen plenty of times the holes were there, Mendy just plain didnt see them or took the wrong cut. I question his vision at times. Odd thing is he ran pretty well behind a full back that led the way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Give me less talent, but a hunger for football, over more talent, but a hunger for nachos.

If Dwyer shows up in shape and motivated, he'll get his shot. But how in the world can any of the coaches consider Dwyer to be their first choice coming out of OTA's and minicamps where there is no hitting allowed?

An in-shape Dwyer is going to look better than an in-shape Redman while in shorts every day of the week. But NFL football is not played in shorts. Let's see what happens when the bullets are live. I know that Redman can take a hit from NFL players, get up, and ask for more. All I know about Dwyer is that he can run through a gaping hole untouched and still get caught from behind.

Would I like to see Dwyer step it up and compete? Certainly! Do I expect it? Well...he'll have to show me. My view has been that if Mendenhall never blew out his knee at the end of last season, our RB corps for this year would be Mendenhall, Redman, Batch, and Rainey, with both Dwyer and Clay on the outside looking in. Now, with Mendenhall on the shelf for the start of the season, Dwyer has his shot to prove that he is a legit NFL back, and not just a triple option college back with some nice YouTube clips. I hope he emerges...we'll see soon enough...after all, players report TOMORROW!!!

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.