Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Redman may not be the starting RB.....

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    You hit the nail right on the head with Dwyer... and it's why I've never been high on him. Coming into his final year in college, he was on the radar of all the scouts. He was generally touted as a potential 1st round pick.

Now, when that's the case, eyes are on you. Basically, they aren't going to miss on you. Even if you have a subpar season, they've watched you enough, that they still will be willing to use a premium pick (i.e. 1st to 3rd round) on you.

In Dwyer's case, he fell all the way to the 6th. Why? Well basically, all the scouts who's job it was to (among other players) evaluate this player, didn't think he was worthy. That's not to say he can't be a contributor (e.g. that one game he came in and produced for us), but in terms of taking a starting job and running with it? I personally don't see it.
    Two years ago would you have ever thought Redman would be entering the season as the "presumed" starter??????
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Two years ago would you have ever thought Redman would be entering the season as the "presumed" starter??????
    A lot happened in two years...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    A lot happened in two years...
    Yea, Mendy got hurt. Let's not forget that is the only reason Redman is the "presumed" starter. If Mendy is healthy he is the starter.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Yea, Mendy got hurt. Let's not forget that is the only reason Redman is the "presumed" starter. If Mendy is healthy he is the starter.
    Mendenhall is the 1st round draft pick and has been the starter for the last several years...of course he's the starter...

Redman is the "presumed" starter simply because he performed well when his number was called over the last two years...

I sure wouldn't have. Isn't this the same guy that wasn't in game shape and pulled himself- drawing Coach's ire? He's turned things around and it's something to be proud of. Of course, I'm a little surprised that people think that Dwyer couldn't do the same thing. I guess life IS like a box of chocolates, lol.

Legend
    No... but during these 2 years we have witnessed Redman run over opponents and score a game winning TD in Baltimore.

Once we see Dwyer consistently produce it wouldn't be shocking to see him starting if the starting RB goes down.

The other concern with Dwyer is his blocking... Redman was the best blocking RB on the roster when Mend was healthy...

Hall of Famer
    I'm just saying that scout's are trained professionals. They miss of course... but their job is to delve in, sift through circumstance, and see potential in any football player. I'm not saying that Dwyer can't... I'm just saying that he was under the microscope, they really looked at him... and for a guy of Dwyer's physical attributes... if they think they can land a blue-chip RB, they aren't likely to let that guy slide to the 6th round.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I'm just saying that scout's are trained professionals. They miss of course... but their job is to delve in, sift through circumstance, and see potential in any football player. I'm not saying that Dwyer can't... I'm just saying that he was under the microscope, they really looked at him... and for a guy of Dwyer's physical attributes... if they think they can land a blue-chip RB, they aren't likely to let that guy slide to the 6th round.
    Its all about taking advanatage of situations. Dwyer could have done better. Maybe now he realizes that. There are lots of RBs drafted higher than Dwyer who aren't in the NFL so it isn't an exact science. IMO this is the season that Dwyer puts it together. It will be fun to watch.

Pro Bowler
    Why would you think that? You sound like his parents.

He dropped in the draft because his skill wasn't good enough to carry his mental flaws. Then his mental flaws come shining through as predicted. He never looked like Earl Campbell with a bad attitude. He was maybe Bam Morris at best. So are we really fighting to turn around some hump so we can have Bam Morris...
    He better show ALOT or I'd say can him and bring in someone that represents the attitude of the Steelers before he rubs off on someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Why would you think that? You sound like his parents.

He dropped in the draft because his skill wasn't good enough to carry his mental flaws. Then his mental flaws come shining through as predicted. He never looked like Earl Campbell with a bad attitude. He was maybe Bam Morris at best. So are we really fighting to turn around some hump so we can have Bam Morris...
    He better show ALOT or I'd say can him and bring in someone that represents the attitude of the Steelers before he rubs off on someone else.
    It's hard to know, of course. However, he wouldn't be the first kid to not take his talent as seriously as he should at first. That doesn't mean he can't. The guy isn't even 25 yet. He's already purportedly in the best shape he's ever been in so I'd say that's a start.