Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Redman may not be the starting RB.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Give me less talent, but a hunger for football, over more talent, but a hunger for nachos.

If Dwyer shows up in shape and motivated, he'll get his shot. But how in the world can any of the coaches consider Dwyer to be their first choice coming out of OTA's and minicamps where there is no hitting allowed?

An in-shape Dwyer is going to look better than an in-shape Redman while in shorts every day of the week. But NFL football is not played in shorts. Let's see what happens when the bullets are live. I know that Redman can take a hit from NFL players, get up, and ask for more. All I know about Dwyer is that he can run through a gaping hole untouched and still get caught from behind.

Would I like to see Dwyer step it up and compete? Certainly! Do I expect it? Well...he'll have to show me. My view has been that if Mendenhall never blew out his knee at the end of last season, our RB corps for this year would be Mendenhall, Redman, Batch, and Rainey, with both Dwyer and Clay on the outside looking in. Now, with Mendenhall on the shelf for the start of the season, Dwyer has his shot to prove that he is a legit NFL back, and not just a triple option college back with some nice YouTube clips. I hope he emerges...we'll see soon enough...after all, players report TOMORROW!!!

I understand what you are saying but when the desire is equal talent always wins out in the long run. Redman is a feel good story and a decent NFL back but is he a difference maker...I'm not convinced. IMO he is holding the seat warm until Mendy comes back. Wouldn't be the first or last time I'm wrong but I think he will do OK but not great.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Big, beefy interior OL, emphasis on a renewed ground game...winter football in Pittsburgh...

Everyone's forgotten John Clay?
    Clay is overrated as a power back. He runs much lighter than his size. I would take Redman everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I understand what you are saying but when the desire is equal talent always wins out in the long run. Redman is a feel good story and a decent NFL back but is he a difference maker...I'm not convinced. IMO he is holding the seat warm until Mendy comes back. Wouldn't be the first or last time I'm wrong but I think he will do OK but not great.
    That is the key portion of the statement...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    That is the key portion of the statement...
    Yes, and it not JUST Desire. There's more to it than that. It's also heart, courage, confidence and mental toughness. You can't coach those. I'm not saying Mendy doesn't have any of that. I'm saying that for whatever reason, it feels like Redman has more of it than Mendy at this point. And I can't help but think that coming back from an ACL isn't going to do wonders for any of those intangibles. To me, Mendy felt tentative at times. And now, a knee is in the back of his mind.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Thank goodness you aren't the one Redman needs to convince. LOL

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Clay is overrated as a power back. He runs much lighter than his size. I would take Redman everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.
    I agree. Clay hasn't impressed me at all.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, I guess the coaches will get to see all of this and make their choices. Just put the best guys out there, I don't care what their names are.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Redman has shown no weakness in getting necessary yards, whether short yardage or grabbing 6 yards here and there and always keeps the chains moving. No he can't go the distance, but that is relatively rare anyway. Mendi has shown to be clearly better in some aspects and may be a more productive overall RB, but it is not by much and Redman won't fail on ANY plays...unlike Mendi.

Dwyer has exaggerated talent by a few on these boards. He's shown very little outside of 4th Q preseason or preseason games meaning little. He has shown ALL the bad products you don't want in football player MANY times.
    Get him the 'F out of da Burgh before his attitude spreads. Give him to the Browns or similar program. This is not a guy we need. He is not going to become a legit starting RB in the league, nor can he be counted on for extended spot duty. He has no redeeming qualities.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Well, I guess the coaches will get to see all of this and make their choices. Just put the best guys out there, I don't care what their names are.
    you mean you would rather have the Steelers coaches decide this than us message board geniuses?

preposterous...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebones View Post
    Dwyer has exaggerated talent by a few on these boards. He's shown very little outside of 4th Q preseason or preseason games meaning little. He has shown ALL the bad products you don't want in football player MANY times.
    Get him the 'F out of da Burgh before his attitude spreads. Give him to the Browns or similar program. This is not a guy we need. He is not going to become a legit starting RB in the league, nor can he be counted on for extended spot duty. He has no redeeming qualities.
    You hit the nail right on the head with Dwyer... and it's why I've never been high on him. Coming into his final year in college, he was on the radar of all the scouts. He was generally touted as a potential 1st round pick.

Now, when that's the case, eyes are on you. Basically, they aren't going to miss on you. Even if you have a subpar season, they've watched you enough, that they still will be willing to use a premium pick (i.e. 1st to 3rd round) on you.

In Dwyer's case, he fell all the way to the 6th. Why? Well basically, all the scouts who's job it was to (among other players) evaluate this player, didn't think he was worthy. That's not to say he can't be a contributor (e.g. that one game he came in and produced for us), but in terms of taking a starting job and running with it? I personally don't see it.