Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Smith retires at age 28

Legend

User Info Menu

Anthony Smith retires at age 28

Anthony Smith retires at age 28
    Posted by Evan Silva on July 21, 2012, 11:53 AM EDT

Steelers 2006 third-round pick Anthony Smith looked to be emerging as Pittsburgh’s free safety of the future when he made 14 starts his first two seasons, collecting 97 tackles and intercepting four passes during that span. But Smith’s career took a nosedive after he unsuccessfully guaranteed a December 2007 win over the 12-0 New England Patriots.

The Patriots torched the Steelers’ secondary in a 34-13 win, as quarterback Tom Brady passed for four touchdowns and 399 yards. And Smith’s career never recovered.

Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported Saturday that Anthony Smith is now retiring from football, after bouncing between five teams the past four years. Smith’s career ends after six seasons and 76 games played, with 19 starts. He is 28 years old.

Smith was once a promising NFL safety who appeared destined to become Troy Polamalu’s long-term running mate in the back end of Pittsburgh’s vaunted defense. Unfortunately, the majority of those who remember Smith’s career will think of his failed guarantee and subsequent torching by Brady.

And it’s fair to wonder whether, had Smith bit his tongue, things might have worked out for him much differently.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/21/anthony-smith-retires-at-age-28/[/URL]

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I nominate Anthony Smith for the All Mouth and the All Biceps teams. The dude ruined himself more with headhunting than the the stupid 07 prediction. If he had just stuck to disciplined football he would have done much better and gotten in some of the hits he was slobbering to make. He made himself predictable and that made him much easier to beat.

Starter

User Info Menu

Lethon Flowers V2

Legend

User Info Menu

Anthony Smith had what arguably could be called the worst combination of attributes a football player can have; he was either very dumb and couldn't learn an NFL playbook, or he had the worst football instincts of any safety to have played a pro game in the last 5 years...

Legend

User Info Menu

Wonder what really happened?

Hopefully someone took a cheap shot on him in practice and ended his career. This kid was a goon.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Wonder what really happened?

Hopefully someone took a cheap shot on him in practice and ended his career. This kid was a goon.
    I can understand not being favorable toward a ball player, but to hope that somebody took a cheap shot on him? Really??

Starter

User Info Menu

Didn't Amanda Bynes do something like this. She retired or something and then un-retired soon after.

Have we seen the last of T-Bone???

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I can understand not being favorable toward a ball player, but to hope that somebody took a cheap shot on him? Really??
    He was known for taking cheap shots on his teammates in practice.

He was a knucklehead wanting to hurt everyone around him.

He was Belton Delton Hall on steroids.

I was just joking. Nice to see someone finally take something I say seriously for once

I fear bugs. I'd hate pain. I seriously fear for everyone's safety in most situations and wish no one any harm.

Starter

User Info Menu

flippy said: "I was just joking. Nice to see someone finally take something I say seriously for once "

I don't think hardly anyone did not think you were joking.

Anyway, for some reason this player was one that got a lot of attention. Here are a couple things I remember.

When he was drafted I was watching the draft wrap-up show with the usual cast. Savron, Bouchette, Dulac maybe a couple others.

When Smiths clip came on the very 1st play the opponent busted through the middle and the safety [Smith] came up to meet the play dove at the runner and missed and the guy went on about 65 yards and scored. A couple of the panel guys took a look at each other. On play 2 someone was split out wide right, took off down the sidelines, no one near him and he caught a pass near the right ob line. It was a real bad pass and the wr caught it but lost his balance and fell ob. Then someone [Smith] came over very late and several yards off the play. [More puzzled looks from the reporters] Play 3 showed the safety real deep in the middle and the wr came across the middle in front of him and caught the pass but for some reason the safety [Smith] had retreated from the already very deep position to an even deeper spot???. The wr then caught the pass and started upfield and collided with the safety [Smith] bounced off and started for the goal line around the 15 and the clip did not complete the play. There were a couple more plays shown equally puzzling.

Then when the clip ended the panel sort of looked at each other and someone said any comments--there weren't any. Savran said the next player drafted was etc.

I remembered this because I posted that maybe Smith was fooling around with whoever put that clip together's girlfriend or something.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jj28west View Post
    Lethon Flowers V2
    That's an insult to Lee Flowers.

Flowers was solid in run support and a solid hitter. He was just never particularly fast, and when he lost a bit of the speed, became too much of a liability in coverage.