Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Anyone Think NCAA Sanctions Against PSU Were Enough?

Legend

User Info Menu

OT - Anyone Think NCAA Sanctions Against PSU Were Enough?

While Franco probably thinks they're too much, I think PSU got off easy.

The one thing I did like is they decided to let any current scholarship players keep their scholarships even if they decide not to play football for PSU.

Legend

User Info Menu

They are way too much. What positive is accomplished? Nothing. It is a typical feel good gesture where a bunch of bureaucrats pat themseleves on the backs and say how good and righteous they were.

This was an act of individuals who should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. An institution is not a living, thinking being. The institution did not choose to do anything, individuals working in jobs aligned with that institution did.

Are currents and future students benefiting from this decision...NO

Are the victims benefitting...NO

How many fewer scholarships and aid will be available to students because Penn State is giving up $60M? Anyone benefit from that...NO

How many student athletes don't get a scholarship now because PSU has to forfeit them? Does that benefit student athletes...NO

How many students in non-revenue producing sports suffer because the football program is not bringing in money? Does that benefit anyone...NO

Are current football players who have worked their whole lives for a chance to play in the NFL benefitting...NO

Are the numerous small businesses in Central PA who make a large amount of their annual revenue during football weekends benefitting...NO

It was a poorly thought out, short sighted gesture to make people "feel good." Feel good gestures rarely have any real positives. The NCAA is a bunch of self-righteous buffoons.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 07-23-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

I think that PSU was made an example of for society in general. Any company, institution, or individual that is aware of child abuse taking place will now think twice about ignoring it or sweeping it under the rug.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    They are way too much. What positive is accomplished? Nothing. It is a typical feel good gesture where a bunch of bureaucrats pat themseleves on the backs and say how good and righteous they were.

This was an act of individuals who should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. An institution is not a living, thinking being. The institution did not choose to do anything, individuals working in jobs aligned with that institution did.

How many fewer scholarships and aid will be available to students because Penn State is giving up $60M? Anyone benefit from that...NO

How many student athletes don't get a scholarship now because PSU has to forfeit them? Does that benefit student athletes...NO

How many students in non-revenue producing sports suffer because the football program is not bringing in money? Does that benefit anyone...NO

Are current football players who have worked their whole lives for a chance to play in the NFL benefitting...NO

Are the numerous small businesses in Central PA who make a large amount of their annual revenue during football weekends benefitting...NO

It was a poorly thought out, short sighted gesture to make people "feel good." Feel good gestures rarely have any real positives. The NCAA is a bunch of self-righteous buffoons.

What happened at PSU was a legal issue and individuals involved in cover-up should be punished to the maximum by the court.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Why is this subject in the Steelers talk forum???

Legend

User Info Menu

I view it as JoePa, Sandusky, and the administration's fault.

1 guy cost Siemens, Enron, JPMorgan, etc Billions, it seems to me that PSU got off light. To this day there are still PSU homers that are sticking up for the school and JoePa.

I look at the money as blood money. Should anyone want a scholarship paid at the expense of some innocent child?

What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong. People always suffer the consequences of the sins of others.

Plus the money's going to support abused kids. And PSU signed off on it and agreed to it. So given that they signed off, I suspect it's too light a punishment and they only signed off because they know they deserve far worse.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I view it as JoePa, Sandusky, and the administration's fault.

1 guy cost Siemens, Enron, JPMorgan, etc Billions, it seems to me that PSU got off light. To this day there are still PSU homers that are sticking up for the school and JoePa.

I look at the money as blood money. Should anyone want a scholarship paid at the expense of some innocent child?

What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong. People always suffer the consequences of the sins of others.

Plus the money's going to support abused kids. And PSU signed off on it and agreed to it. So given that they signed off, I suspect it's too light a punishment and they only signed off because they know they deserve far worse.
    Should anyone want a scholarship paid at the expense of some innocent child?
    Really? What innocent child is paying? The person who committed the crime has been convicted. Others are DEAD or awaiting trial so how exactly is an innocent child paying?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Really? What innocent child is paying? The person who committed the crime has been convicted. Others are DEAD or awaiting trial so how exactly is an innocent child paying?
    PSU Football is the 2nd most profitable program in the country. It pays for loads of programs at PSU. It's the reason PSU gets $200M/yr from alumni.

And the program was used by a pedophile to lure young innocent children. And this program was deemed to be so important, it protected the pedophile for the good of the program.

JoePa and the school administration decided that the program was worth more than the innocence of these kids. That was a trade that JoePa and the college president made. Keeping this covered up for 14 years paid for a lot of programs at PSU and a lot of scholarships.

Anyone that went to PSU over the last 14 years may have gotten a scholarship that may not have been available if Sandusky was exposed 14 years ago. Maybe there would have been sanctions 14 years ago. Maybe there would have been scholarships cancelled. But they weren't.

JoePa enabled students to get their college education paid for because he didn't do the right thing.

I'm glad I didnt go to PSU in the last 14 years and get a scholarship. Actually I applied to PSU but got turned down. I wasn't smart enough. Thank goodness.

The way the current PSU president supported these sanctions makes me think that they accepted to avoid something worse that may be coming. It's like this $60M is to sweep this whole thing under the rug.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

I'm glad I didnt go to PSU in the last 14 years and get a scholarship. Actually I applied to PSU but got turned down. I wasn't smart enough. Thank goodness.
    Is that where all of this overblown hate is coming from?

I went to PSU, and graduated from there 3 years ago. I had some scholarship money. I also hated the culture that propped up the football program on such a pedestal and in which the students felt entitled to whatever they wanted. Does that mean I should feel bad about what school I went to or the fact that I got some money while there? Heck no.

I didn't get money funded at the expense of children losing their innocence. For you to attempt to put that on people who went there is just crazy and leaves you sounding like a tin foil wearing conspiracy theorist.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Is that where all of this overblown hate is coming from?

I went to PSU, and graduated from there 3 years ago. I had some scholarship money. I also hated the culture that propped up the football program on such a pedestal and in which the students felt entitled to whatever they wanted. Does that mean I should feel bad about what school I went to or the fact that I got some money while there? Heck no.

I didn't get money funded at the expense of children losing their innocence. For you to attempt to put that on people who went there is just crazy and leaves you sounding like a tin foil wearing conspiracy theorist.
    I agree with you.

However, someone (figuratively) has to pay. Joe Pa continued to allow Sandusky free run of the Penn State football facilities after he knew about things happening that turned out to be horrific. The administration was complicit. While I don't feel that Penn State students were responsible in any way, and while the vast majority of the faculty and staff had no idea what was happening, the football program was made an example. I can definitely understand that.