Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OT - Anyone Think NCAA Sanctions Against PSU Were Enough?

Legend

User Info Menu

My point was (before it was removed??) that the records and accomplishments of the past PSU players should not suffer for this. It's clear the NCAA is playing the Goodell role here and acting in a way that the media wants them to, but there is no benefit in taking the past records away. It is also clear that the NCAA wants PSU to have no football program anymore. That program is done.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    My point was (before it was removed??) that the records and accomplishments of the past PSU players should not suffer for this. It's clear the NCAA is playing the Goodell role here and acting in a way that the media wants them to, but there is no benefit in taking the past records away. It is also clear that the NCAA wants PSU to have no football program anymore. That program is done.
    Well, I don't think the NCAA wanted Joe Paterno, given what we've learned, wanted him as their winningest all-time coach. I can't blame them for that at all.

Listen, both sides here make GREAT points. I always weighed on the side that NCAA shouldn't do anything. But after seeing the penalties, I thought they actually made some sense.

At the same time... when ESPN was showing the reaction of people watching the fall-out (as read to the public), I first thought "What a bunch of lemmings..." the way they were reacting. But then I realized--probably many of those were student-athletes there, and they were realizing that this would hurt them personally (since the football program helped fund so much). And someone made the extremely relevant point, of all the business owners this might affect.

But you also realize the nature of this scandal, and the institutional aspect to it all. Why did they not only bring Sandusky to justice, but actively try to cover-up the situation? Because of the problems it would've brought to PSU. It wasn't because everyone wanted to shield Sandusky.

In the end, there is no right side of it. It is a situation that is being dealt with, and hopefully the school/community can move on soon.

Legend

User Info Menu

The more I think about this and the fact that the new PSU president was so quick to agree to this, the more I think they know something worse is coming. And they're probably trying to position that they've already received a harsh punishment.

I suspect once the lawsuits start piling up, this will look like nothing in comparison. And they'll try to use these NCAA sanctions in their defense.

It may also be a CYA move for the NCAA so the NCAA can avoid liability in the personal lawsuits?

I'm sure there's some legal angle to all of this that none of us understand.

Legend

User Info Menu

In the end, there is no right side of it. It is a situation that is being dealt with, and hopefully the school/community can move on soon.
    This is the best comment on the whole issue that I have heard yet. If this had been handled 14 years ago, we would be 14 years down the path to "Moving on."
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]