Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT - Anyone Think NCAA Sanctions Against PSU Were Enough?

Legend

User Info Menu

Why was my post removed?
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    PSU Football is the 2nd most profitable program in the country. It pays for loads of programs at PSU. It's the reason PSU gets $200M/yr from alumni.

And the program was used by a pedophile to lure young innocent children. And this program was deemed to be so important, it protected the pedophile for the good of the program.

JoePa and the school administration decided that the program was worth more than the innocence of these kids. That was a trade that JoePa and the college president made. Keeping this covered up for 14 years paid for a lot of programs at PSU and a lot of scholarships.

Anyone that went to PSU over the last 14 years may have gotten a scholarship that may not have been available if Sandusky was exposed 14 years ago. Maybe there would have been sanctions 14 years ago. Maybe there would have been scholarships cancelled. But they weren't.

JoePa enabled students to get their college education paid for because he didn't do the right thing.

I'm glad I didnt go to PSU in the last 14 years and get a scholarship. Actually I applied to PSU but got turned down. I wasn't smart enough. Thank goodness.

The way the current PSU president supported these sanctions makes me think that they accepted to avoid something worse that may be coming. It's like this $60M is to sweep this whole thing under the rug.
    So all those students who benefited from the money PSU football brought in are now being punished. Yeah...that is really accomplishing alot!!!! Once again they are punsihing those who are just as innocent in this thing as the victims. Small business owners could lose their livlihood all for a gesture gone wrong.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Is that where all of this overblown hate is coming from?

I went to PSU, and graduated from there 3 years ago. I had some scholarship money. I also hated the culture that propped up the football program on such a pedestal and in which the students felt entitled to whatever they wanted. Does that mean I should feel bad about what school I went to or the fact that I got some money while there? Heck no.

I didn't get money funded at the expense of children losing their innocence. For you to attempt to put that on people who went there is just crazy and leaves you sounding like a tin foil wearing conspiracy theorist.
    You got me. I do wear the tinfoil on occasion.

I don't really hate anyone. And you shouldn't feel bad. You didn't do anything. This is just all messed up. And while it probably wouldn't have impacted you specifically, I bet someone wouldn't have gotten a scholarship if JoePa told the truth from day 1.

I just think this whole thing is pretty whack. I hate every kind of pain and suffering. And a pet peeve of mine is anyone that doesn't stand up for those that cannot stand up for themselves.

I hate that one bad apple can spoil the bunch. That doesn't seem fair either. But it's more fair in my mind than any type of pain and suffering.

I was irritated 20 years ago when PSU didn't think I was smart enough to go there. Their loss, right No resentment though. It's all good. Just think the facade JoePa created is insane.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I agree with you.

However, someone (figuratively) has to pay. Joe Pa continued to allow Sandusky free run of the Penn State football facilities after he knew about things happening that turned out to be horrific. The administration was complicit. While I don't feel that Penn State students were responsible in any way, and while the vast majority of the faculty and staff had no idea what was happening, the football program was made an example. I can definitely understand that.
    The courts are punsihinh those who should be punished. The NCAA were cowards because they punished Penn State to avoid their own scrutiny in the media. They didn't want to answer tough questions so they threw Penn Sate and all those who had nothing to do with the tragic events under the bus. They are self righteous hypocrites because they had no problem taking the money that Penn State football generated under Paterno.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    You got me. I do wear the tinfoil on occasion.

I don't really hate anyone. And you shouldn't feel bad. You didn't do anything. This is just all messed up. And while it probably wouldn't have impacted you specifically, I bet someone wouldn't have gotten a scholarship if JoePa told the truth from day 1.

I just think this whole thing is pretty whack. I hate every kind of pain and suffering. And a pet peeve of mine is anyone that doesn't stand up for those that cannot stand up for themselves.

I hate that one bad apple can spoil the bunch. That doesn't seem fair either. But it's more fair in my mind than any type of pain and suffering.

I was irritated 20 years ago when PSU didn't think I was smart enough to go there. Their loss, right No resentment though. It's all good. Just think the facade JoePa created is insane.

Putting pain and suffering on those who had nothing to do with this going forward does not alleviate past pain and suffering. It is just feel good nonsense.

Backup

User Info Menu

The irony in this whole debate about what "should" happen to Penn State is that many of the people who claim that Penn State fans care more about the football program than they do about Jerry Sandusky's victims seem to care more about the punishment than they do about the victims, and often blur the line between justice and revenge to boot. When people say that they're "praying for the death penalty," then they're squandering whatever moral authority they have. Why not pray for the victims instead? Or are Penn State fans the only ones who have to do that?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    The irony in this whole debate about what "should" happen to Penn State is that many of the people who claim that Penn State fans care more about the football program than they do about Jerry Sandusky's victims seem to care more about the punishment than they do about the victims, and often blur the line between justice and revenge to boot. When people say that they're "praying for the death penalty," then they're squandering whatever moral authority they have. Why not pray for the victims instead? Or are Penn State fans the only ones who have to do that?
    Good catch.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know what the proper course of action is on this situation. You have individuals that were culpable and one has been prosecuted and sentenced, a couple are waiting their day in court and another is deceased. It seems the people responsible for the entire fiasco are going to be punished within the framework of the legal system. At this point what do the sanctions and fines levied against Penn State accomplish? I know it feels like something should be done due to the heinous nature of the crimes, but the criminals are being tried and my guess is that they will all be punished. I don't see Spanier and Schultz not serving time right along with good ol Jerry.

So, the fines and sanctions will now penalize PSU students, recruits, businesses that had absolutely nothing to do with the crimes of 14 years ago. The current students were somewhere between 4 and 8 years old while this was occurring. There are going to be civil lawsuits from each and every victim of Sandusky and I'm certain the remuneration handed out will approach 1 billion dollars before its all said and done.

I'm a Pitt graduate and there's no love lost with the PSU football program, but I'm not certain that this is accomplishing anything positive. The players who have signed on to play at PSU are being given the option to seek scholarships elsewhere, but what if other colleges don't see their skill set as one that fits into their program? This year's seniors, what are they going to do? Does the scholarship loss affect the Title IX scholarships that are awarded? It seems there is more down side to this and I have yet to rationalize an upside.

The perpetrator is being punished and his enablers will be tried and dealt with legally and one of them is dead. The victims will be compensated which is the best that anyone can do for them now. It would be nice to go back in time and stop Sandusky before he committed the heinous acts, but we can't, so the best society can do is compensate the families and that will be done. Punishing the current students, former students, local businesses, the University itself seems fruitless in my humble opinion.

The PSU football program may never be relevant again and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. SMU has never been a relevant football program since they received the death penalty in 1987 (I think). Their transgressions were NCAA football related, they were not criminal and they deserved what they received. In this case, it's deviant behavior and the cover-up of the behavior which isn't really football related at all. It could have just as easily been a professor of the engineering department and the director of the department and the president of the university covering it up because, the professor was one of the best mechanical engineers in the country.

I guess, something had to be done, but I'm not sure this is the answer. Couldn't the University been made to start some type of foundation to raise awareness of child molestation and fund the foundation nationally, not just in Centre county Pennsylvania? Wouldn't that be more beneficial to more people?

Who benefits from this decision?
    Anyone at all?
    Students? No
    Athletes? No
    Business? No
    Parents? No
    The victims? No
    Current administration? No
    NCAA? No

I just don't see anything positive out of this decision.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

the whole "innocent kids are paying for this" is nonsense... when a football program gets punished it's usually the incoming players who had nothing to do with the infractions who are punished....

The program hid this and let innocent kids get raped so they could increase the stadium size and school population.
    PSU "hiding" Sanduysky's actions....

PSU alum shouldn't feel shamed for scholarships they earned but how many of these scholarships would have been wiped out or non-existent if PSU put it out there 10 years ago? Would you still go to PSU if it was put out there 10 years ago? Just asking?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel View Post
    Why is this subject in the Steelers talk forum???
    I'm also trying to figure that one out.