Thread: Troy Polamalu says he has lied about concussions to keep playing

Legend

User Info Menu

Troy Polamalu says he has lied about concussions to keep playing

Polamalu says he has lied about concussions to keep playing
    Posted by Michael David Smith on July 18, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu seems to value being on the field for his teammates more than he values his own health and safety.

Polamalu said on the Dan Patrick Show that he has lied about symptoms of concussions so that he’d be cleared to stay on the field.

“Yes, I have, for sure,” Polamalu said.

Polamalu, however, seems to see a distinction between just saying he doesn’t feel dazed after a hit to the head when maybe he actually does, and blatantly lying about a significant injury.

“I wouldn’t say I’ve had any major lies,” Polamalu said. “Somebody may say, ‘Is your knee messed up?’ It may be kind of messed up but you just kind of push yourself to be out there with your brothers. I wouldn’t say there are any major lies where I totally lied may way out of concussions. In fact, during concussions, if it’s serious enough you can’t even be conscious enough to lie.”

According to Polamalu, there’s a difference between the kind of concussion that takes you off the field and the kinds of dings that doctors might call a concussion but football players view as the cost of doing business.

“I’ve had, I believe, eight or nine recorded concussions. We’ll have another conversation after I’m done playing football,” Polamalu said. “When you get your bell rung they consider that a concussion — I wouldn’t. . . . If that is considered a concussion, I’d say any football player at least records 50 to 100 concussions a year.”

So why is Polamalu willing to lie? He says it’s all about being there for his team.

“There’s so much built up about team camaraderie and sacrifice, and football is such a tough man’s game,” Polamalu said. “I think that’s why it’s so popular, why so many blue-collar communities and people feel really attracted to it, because it’s sort of a blue-collar struggle that football players go through in terms of the physicality of the game and the commitment you need. . . . It’s that commitment you need to play football. You feel sore, you’re beat up, you’re injured, you’re legitimately injured, most people may take three months off to work in an office, we choose to play the next week.”

And sometimes Polamalu even chooses to keep playing in the very game when the medical staff would tell him he shouldn’t.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/18/polamalu-says-he-has-lied-about-concussions-to-keep-playing/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I was actually going to just post a Troy-related thread. Just last night I read some comments that Jim Wexell had posted on Steel City Insider. I was really surprised in one of them he commented on how slow and lethargic Troy looked during the recent OTAs.

I always was worried Harrison going into this season because I really believe that back problems never go away, but if Troy isn't 100% we have real issues on this defense and the Front Office really blew it by ignoring the Safety position for so long.

Could be nothing but after reading that yesterday it will now be something I will want to watch during training camp and the season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I was actually going to just post a Troy-related thread. Just last night I read some comments that Jim Wexell had posted on Steel City Insider. I was really surprised in one of them he commented on how slow and lethargic Troy looked during the recent OTAs.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    If that is really Troy on the left then I am very concerned

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Troys brain is going to be mush by the time he's 50.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm sure the NFL Attorneys in the Head trauma case appeciate Troy's honesty and will make him a witness at the trial.

NFLPA is blasting out emails telling everyone the need to deny ever having a concussion before the NFL and they never chose to play with one.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm sure the NFL Attorneys in the Head trauma case appeciate Troy's honesty and will make him a witness at the trial.

NFLPA is blasting out emails telling everyone the need to deny ever having a concussion before the NFL and they never chose to play with one.
    I'm also thinking that testimony from guys like Troy is going to carry a bit more gravitas than these players who have been canvassed by the plaintiffs side.

Legend

User Info Menu

And exactly which three people were surprised by this revelation? My guess is that not lying about a concussion in the NFL is probably the rarer occurrence.

Legend

User Info Menu

If that is really Troy on the left then I am very concerned

check out this short video, Ryan Clark is poking fun at how chubby Troy the Polynesian is...

[URL]http://burgh.us/f83[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha