Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: He's BAAAACK

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He's BAAAACK

Max Starks just tweeted a photo of his new Steelers contract!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quality depth for OL...good news!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Now if Mike Adams cannot handle the LT position they have a proven backup. Bye Bye Jonathan Scott.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Max Starks just tweeted a photo of his new Steelers contract!
    Best news I could've heard leading up to camp. Now I'm really psyched about our OL. No more crappy Guards and experienced OTs.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    Now if Mike Adams cannot handle the LT position they have a proven backup. Bye Bye Jonathan Scott.

for now it's Bye Bye Chris Scott as the Steelers waived him to make room for Starks on the roster but Jonathan Scott will now face an uphill battle to make the team.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Wonder if Max got some of Mike Wallace's money?

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers re-sign veteran tackle Max Starks

July 17, 2012
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers moved to strengthen an offensive line heavy on youth and pedigree by re-signing veteran tackle Max Starks to another one-year contract today.

The signing of their starting left tackle since 2008 gives the Steelers the luxury of keeping second-year pro Marcus Gilbert at right tackle, where he started as a rookie. Starks and rookie Mike Adams, their second-round draft choice, will contend for the starting job at left tackle in training camp.

Before they drafted Adams, the Steelers planned to move Gilbert to left tackle. Gilbert practiced on both sides during the spring.

Starks, an unrestricted free agent this year, underwent ACL surgery in January but proclaimed on Twitter this afternoon that "It's a great day, doc gave me a great report! On my way to being game ready."

Starks' experience with the Steelers since they drafted him on the third round from Florida in 2004 has been a mix of success and oddity. He became their starting right tackle in 2005, when they won a Super Bowl, and stayed there until Willie Colon beat him out in 2007.

Nevertheless, the Steelers made him their transition player in 2008 and paid him a one-year deal of nearly $7 million. He opened that season again as a backup but started 11 games at left tackle for an injured Marvel Smith.

In 2009, the Steelers named him their franchise player and paid him nearly $8.5 million for one season and he started every game at left tackle. Before training camp in 2010, they signed him to a four-year, $26.3 million contract. However, his season ended after seven games because of a neck injury and before the 2011 camp began, they released him for salary cap purposes.

They opened last season with Jonathan Scott as their left tackle but after four games, they signed Starks to a one-year contract and he started the rest of the way at left tackle, injuring his knee in the second quarter of their playoff loss to Denver. He became an unrestricted free agent in March and general manager Kevin Colbert said then that they would wait until the summer to determine whether to re-sign him.

No financial terms of Starks' one-year deal were available.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-re-sign-veteran-tackle-max-starks-645041/#ixzz20trDnY00[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is good news. I've always liked Max.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    for now it's Bye Bye Chris Scott as the Steelers waived him to make room for Starks on the roster but Jonathan Scott will now face an uphill battle to make the team.
    They were only at 89 for the roster spots....They had 1 free. Max was 90.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm OK with the signing--it proves to me the value of being BFF with the star QB. I'll be honest... I've always been a Max Starks basher, and to be even more honest--I'm dumbfounded at how successful he's been in the NFL, especially this past year.

That all being said, I don't think he'll be anything but a body out there. At best, a serviceable RT. He is overweight, slow (even in his prime), coming off major leg injury (problem for a BIG BIG man like this)... and even though his arrivable seemed to coincide with better o-line play, I thought he had the second Most Embarrassing performance by a Steeler player last year (1st place = Ike Taylor), when Aldon Smith absolutely abused him like a red-headed stepchild.