Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chris Rainey Could Be Contributing X-Factor For Steelers As Rookie

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    Rainey is as good as on the team. The battle will be between Batch and Dwyer....I am hoping Batch wins that battle...Dwyer has done very little with his time in the league.
    I would disagree that Dwyer has done noting but he has at least carried the football in a real NFL game where Batch watched games last year.

I still expect Dwyer to have abreakout season this year but I also want Batch on the team in the Mdwelde Moore role.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Administrator

User Info Menu

Tomlin apparently has plans for Rainey and that does NOT include him being on blitz pickup duties as a 3rd down back. When he was asked yesterday why Rainey didn't participate in backs on backers, he said “I’m not going to pull my boat with a Ferrari,”
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Tomlin apparently has plans for Rainey and that does NOT include him being on blitz pickup duties as a 3rd down back. When he was asked yesterday why Rainey didn't participate in backs on backers, he said “I’m not going to pull my boat with a Ferrari,”
    In that drill, RBs aren't allowed to cut-block...that is why Rainey was held out...

Legend

User Info Menu

Rainey is as good as on the team. The battle will be between Batch and Dwyer....I am hoping Batch wins that battle...Dwyer has done very little with his time in the league.

If Mendenhall were healthy, yeah, but assuming Rashard starts the season on PUP as expected, then Redman, Dwyer, Batch, and Rainey should all make the team (Clay might battle for a spot, I expect him to be on the practice squad instead).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If Mendenhall were healthy, yeah, but assuming Rashard starts the season on PUP as expected, then Redman, Dwyer, Batch, and Rainey should all make the team (Clay might battle for a spot, I expect him to be on the practice squad instead).
    How does moving DJ to fullback impact the final roster? Will DJ take a spot from the RB pool? Will we keep an extra RB? Will he take up a roster spot from the TE position?

Legend

User Info Menu

Could Pittsburgh Steelers RB Chris Rainey help boost passing game without WR Mike Wallace

Submitted by Syndicated sources on July 29, 2012

Yesterday, we talked about how rookie running back Chris Rainey is turning heads during the opening days of Pittsburgh Steelers training camp. For some, this is understandable, due to his shiftiness and speed.After some thought and a long discussion with some fans, one has to wonder it his potential vertical speed actually assisted the decision to extend wide receiver Antonio Brown. While this is no slap at Mike Wallace, but the reality is that, he is an unpolished route runner with excellent speed on the football field.

In fact, he even stated something to that extent earlier in the offseason where he discussed his game being totally predicated on speed. With that in mind, is it far off to think that the diminutive, 5-8, 180 pound, Rainey could not be successful taking the top off the defense with his explosive skill set? During his career at Florida, he did split time between multiple positions and looks the part of a natural receiver with the ability to stretch the field. More importantly, he, like Brown (and unlike Wallace), is under contract.

Now, we at Steelers101 can only speculate that this is a potential reality for the offense. With Brown now under contract for the long haul, the Steelers appear to be prepared for the eventual loss of Wallace, and it is not a stretch to see how Rainey could help lessen the blow of his loss.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/could_pittsburgh_steelers_rb_chris_rainey_help_boo st_passing_game_without_wr_mike_wallace/11324203[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

How does moving DJ to fullback impact the final roster? Will DJ take a spot from the RB pool? Will we keep an extra RB? Will he take up a roster spot from the TE position?
    How does DJ on the final roster effect it? It wastes a position! Hope that helps.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Could Pittsburgh Steelers RB Chris Rainey help boost passing game without WR Mike Wallace

Submitted by Syndicated sources on July 29, 2012

Yesterday, we talked about how rookie running back Chris Rainey is turning heads during the opening days of Pittsburgh Steelers training camp. For some, this is understandable, due to his shiftiness and speed.After some thought and a long discussion with some fans, one has to wonder it his potential vertical speed actually assisted the decision to extend wide receiver Antonio Brown. While this is no slap at Mike Wallace, but the reality is that, he is an unpolished route runner with excellent speed on the football field.

In fact, he even stated something to that extent earlier in the offseason where he discussed his game being totally predicated on speed. With that in mind, is it far off to think that the diminutive, 5-8, 180 pound, Rainey could not be successful taking the top off the defense with his explosive skill set? During his career at Florida, he did split time between multiple positions and looks the part of a natural receiver with the ability to stretch the field. More importantly, he, like Brown (and unlike Wallace), is under contract.

Now, we at Steelers101 can only speculate that this is a potential reality for the offense. With Brown now under contract for the long haul, the Steelers appear to be prepared for the eventual loss of Wallace, and it is not a stretch to see how Rainey could help lessen the blow of his loss.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/could_pittsburgh_steelers_rb_chris_rainey_help_boo st_passing_game_without_wr_mike_wallace/11324203[/URL]
    I don't see Rainey being Wallace. But hopefully he can be an athletic Wes Welker.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    How does DJ on the final roster effect it? It wastes a position! Hope that helps.
    LOL...fair enough...

I was trying to determine whether the FB will count towards the RB total or since he is converted TE and can supposedly play both positions, that he would count against the TEs...

With Mendenhall, Redman and Rainey as locks and DJ counting as a RB, how many other RBs will we keep???

Legend

User Info Menu

LOL...fair enough...

I was trying to determine whether the FB will count towards the RB total or since he is converted TE and can supposedly play both positions, that he would count against the TEs...

With Mendenhall, Redman and Rainey as locks and DJ counting as a RB, how many other RBs will we keep???
    I would think Rainey could be counted as a #5/#6 WR and not necessarily take a RB spot.