Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Rainey Could Be Contributing X-Factor For Steelers As Rookie

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The reason is his size. It certainly wasn't ability.
    And the text-threat to his former girlfriend...many teams may have written him off as just another thug-type, but we have access to Maurkice Pouncey, who lived with him for several years in high school. Pouncey's mother and stepfather are very good people, and they allowed Rainey into their home and vouched for him when our scouts were investigating him as a potential draft prospect.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

I wasn't overly impressed with the text/threat thing. While obviously not something you want to see a prospect doing, I don't believe that makes him a bad guy. Love...lust makes men do stupid things.

But, I agree it didn't help him with his draft slot.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

I'm stoked about Rainey. I fully expect him to win that role from Batch. Speed kills...and I think the wild card for him is Haley. Arians would've gotten this dude hurt. At least Haley knows what to do with these little guys, he had McCluster rockin and rollin in Jamal Charles' absence last year.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek View Post
    I'm stoked about Rainey. I fully expect him to win that role from Batch. Speed kills...and I think the wild card for him is Haley. Arians would've gotten this dude hurt. At least Haley knows what to do with these little guys, he had McCluster rockin and rollin in Jamal Charles' absence last year.
    Batch and Rainey fill 2 different roles...Batch is more of a traditional 3rd down back while Rainey is more of a scatback. Remember, Batch weighs 30 lbs. more than Rainey...he's better equipped to protect Ben if a rusher comes free, while Rainey would be more dangerous with the ball in his hands in space.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Batch and Rainey fill 2 different roles...Batch is more of a traditional 3rd down back while Rainey is more of a scatback. Remember, Batch weighs 30 lbs. more than Rainey...he's better equipped to protect Ben if a rusher comes free, while Rainey would be more dangerous with the ball in his hands in space.
    Just call Rainey the #6 WR and KR and be done with it. Don't put him in the backfield.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek View Post
    Great point. Could not understand why Stefan Logan was not used in space in some package in a rich man's Wes Welker role. Crap, I have seen only one good screen play by the RB's since 2005!

Ask The Steelers: Chris Rainey

Posted Jul 23, 2012
    Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Rookie running back Chris Rainey

Brad Williams, Greenville, North Carolina: Rainey: How do you feel that your experience with the spread offense and your track background will affect your playing style as you develop with the Steelers?
    Rainey: It will affect every aspect of my game, every play and every phase of the game. It’s definitely going to help.

William Maximilien, Miami, Florida: How do you feel you will fit in on a team like the Steelers who are infamous for tough hard hitting football, especially when it comes to the running back position?
    Rainey: My style will fit with it. It’s basically the same as it was in the SEC, so it should be nothing all that different.

Joshua Sisler, Rock Hill, South Carolina: How much will playing in a conference like the SEC help you as you adjust to the NFL?
    Rainey: The way I feel it was the NFL in our conference. They trained us in everything, media, football smarts, school and life. It was the same thing as here.

Kenneth Lewis, Lafayette, Louisiana: What do you believe is your greatest strength as a running back?
    Rainey: Definitely vision and speed.

C.J. McMunn: How fast are your times on the track? How do you think you can translate that to the NFL?
    Rainey: My track times aren’t that good, but the endurance helps a lot so I can be ready for the no-huddle and stuff like that.

Joy Burke, Erie, Pennsylvania; What is your first impression of Pittsburgh?
    Rainey: As far as the team, it’s a great team, good program, great coaches and all of the Super Bowls. As far as the city, it’s a beautiful city. There are great fans. Everybody represents the Steelers every day.

Keith Patiag, Los Angeles, California: What is the first thing you will buy with your first paycheck?
    Rainey: I am not going to buy anything. I am just saving all of my money.

Jeffrey Gregg, Iowa: Who was your favorite football player growing up?
    Rainey: Emmitt Smith, Reggie Bush, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, Jim Brown and Walter Payton.

Dawn Edwards, San Diego, California: What is the best advice you ever received?
    Rainey: Stay humble and it will come to you.

Henry Ellis, Rock Hill, South Carolina: What has Maurkice Pouncey told you to expect with the Steelers?
    Rainey: Be who you are and play like you have been playing your whole life.

http://prod.www.steelers.clubs.nfl.c...b-66582f4a7487

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie RB Chris Rainey is the early buzz in training camp

Submitted by Syndicated sources on July 28, 2012

On Friday, the Pittsburgh Steelers finally opened their 2012 training camp to the fans, and all the buzz was about rookie running back Chris Rainey, who flashed confidence, speed and one of the brightest shirt and show combinations to hit Latrobe in some time.Rainey is a small 5-8, 180 pounds, but extremely versatile and explosive athlete that has the ability to make an impact on both offense and special teams. In fact, he may have the most natural explosion with the ball in his hands of any player in this draft. During his career at Florida, he split time between multiple positions and looks the part of a natural receiver and change-of-pace back in the NFL.

In fact, during the brief glimpses of the new offense, he looked quite at home as a receiver out of the backfield on the multiple screen passes and flairs that were put on display.

More importantly for teams, he was also a special teams dynamo at Florida school and SEC records with six blocked punts over his career on top of his return skills. This trend looks to continue with the Steelers as the young speedster talked about the importance of special teams performance during multiple interviews.

While he is talented, there are some red flags, as he has both medical (shoulder) and character concerns. That being said, he was a teammate with All Pro Center Maurkice Pouncey in high school and in college at Florida, which should help his transition to the NFL.

Not practicing on Friday were Mike Wallace (holdout), James Harrison, Casey Hampton, Jason Worilds, Damon Cromartie-Smith, Rashard Mendenhall and Max Starks (PUP), Heath Miller (ankle) and Alameda Ta’amu (foot). On Saturday, the Steelers will hold their first practice in full pads, which will change the days dynamic tremendously.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._camp/11319991

Legend
    I saw where Tomlin pulled Rainey out of the back on backers drill. His logic was he knew Rainey would get killed if he couldn't cut block and he didn't want him cut blocking and of his team mates.

On the other hand I read where Batch did a decent job.

Can anyone confirm because I think it clearly shows they are not competing for the same spot? Like I said just call him a WR who can occasionally play in the backfield versus a RB who can occaisionally play WR.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Rainey is as good as on the team. The battle will be between Batch and Dwyer....I am hoping Batch wins that battle...Dwyer has done very little with his time in the league.