User Info Menu

Ray Rice Signs With Ravens

5 years - $40 million

[URL]http://profootball.scout.com/2/1202812.html[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Can Look Forward To Ray Rice In 2012

Jul 16th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

The questions surrounding Ray Rice’s future with the Ravens can be put to rest, and the Steelers can look forward to facing off against the pesky former Rutgers running back in 2012. Prior to today’s franchise tag deadline, the Baltimore Ravens signed Ray Rice to a 5-year deal totaling $40 million dollars should he hit all his incentives.

Rice would have cost the Ravens over $7 million against the cap were he to retain the franchise tag without signing a new deal before the end of today. By signing Rice now, the Ravens will save $2.7 million in cap room. Should Rice become injured between now and March, and Rice is guaranteed another $7 million. The deal is set up so that it can be restructured to help the team again in 2013 should they run into more cap issues – kudos to the agent and Ravens for constructing a pretty solid and incentive filled deal.

With Rice taken care of, the Ravens can now turn their attention to Joe Flacco, who is in the final year of his rookie contract. Were the two sides continue to be at odds at the start of the off season in 2013, then the Ravens can slap him with a franchise tag to delay him walking away. But, just as what happened with Rice, the team will need to reach a deal with him or else get hit with a pretty hefty cap hit for the franchise tag.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/07/16/steelers-can-look-forward-to-ray-rice-in-2012/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Is Mike Wallace worth more than Ray Rice? Answer=NO!!!

Wallace's contract should not be more than what Rice just got. I think it was about $7M per with incentives.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

Wallace's contract should not be more than what Rice just got. I think it was about $7M per with incentives.
    That's a silly comparison. Right now receivers have a higher market value than running backs. Ask yourself this question ... Do you think Calvin Johnson is worth the money he signed for? Even though he is arguably the top receiver in the league right now but I don't think he is worth what he got.

Ray Rice is a very good back and it sounds like the Ravens signed him to a reasonable deal
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    That's a silly comparison. Right now receivers have a higher market value than running backs. Ask yourself this question ... Do you think Calvin Johnson is worth the money he signed for? Even though he is arguably the top receiver in the league right now but I don't think he is worth what he got.

Ray Rice is a very good back and it sounds like the Ravens signed him to a reasonable deal
    What is silly is that some bad teams have given out some ridiculous contracts for receivers. We should not repeat their mistakes because of an abstract notion of market value. I don't think there is anyone in the NFL that wouldn't take Ray Rice over Mike Wallace in a heartbeat. That is the measure of value not bad decisions other teams have made.

You said it "signed him to a reasonable deal." It is totally in Wallace's court to be reasonable too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I generally agree that Wallace will not impact a game more than Rice. The difference is that Rice is much less likely to be performing at the same level at the end of his contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I generally agree that Wallace will not impact a game more than Rice. The difference is that Rice is much less likely to be performing at the same level at the end of his contract.
    For a WR whose main asset is speed and has flaws in other WR skillsets I think we can easily say the same thing about Wallace. A leg injury of any kind will have a greater impact on him than Rice.

Both are great players and probably deserve close to the same amount of money. The trouble comes in when we consider that Wallace may want more. he isn't worth it.

Legend

User Info Menu

It has been reported when negotiations started that Rice wanted an Adrian Peterson sized contract. Did he get one? No.

It has been reported when negotiations started that Wallace wanted a Larry Fitzgerald sized contract. Will he get one? No.

Peterson's contract is the RB equivalent of the Fitzgerald contract for wideouts. I think many Steeler fans got their panties in a bunch over the Fitz contract rumor unnecessarily.

Report: Ray Rice Wants An Adrian Peterson Sized Contract
    Adrian Peterson, Baltimore Ravens, NFL, Ray Rice | Comments

Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice would like his next deal to be similar to the seven-year, $100 million contract running back Adrian Peterson signed with the Minnesota Vikings last year, according to Sports Illustrated’s Peter King.

Rice, 25, is likely to be given a franchise tag by the Ravens this month in order to keep him from becoming an unrestricted free-agent. That would open up negotiations over the course of next season on a possible long-term deal for the Pro Bowl running back.

Last season Rice ran for 1,364 yards and 12 touchdowns. He also hauled in 76 passes for 704 yards and three touchdowns through the air. It marked the third consecutive season that Rice has ran for 1,200 or more yards and caught 60-or-more passes.

In the three-years prior to signing his $100 million deal, Peterson averaged 1,480 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns.
    [URL]http://tracking.si.com/2012/02/20/report-ray-rice-wants-a-adrian-peterson-sized-contrct/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Players should start at AP and Fitz numbers and work down from there...

What player/agent starts a negotiation in the "reasonable" range? LOL...

Legend

User Info Menu

What is silly is that some bad teams have given out some ridiculous contracts for receivers. We should not repeat their mistakes because of an abstract notion of market value. I don't think there is anyone in the NFL that wouldn't take Ray Rice over Mike Wallace in a heartbeat. That is the measure of value not bad decisions other teams have made.

You said it "signed him to a reasonable deal." It is totally in Wallace's court to be reasonable too.
    Ovie you make it sound like Wallace said no to 40 mill or 7 or 8 mill per season. If he doesn't sign a deal in that range then he is being unreasonable. Right now he is being a smart business man.