Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reason to Worry?

Legend

User Info Menu

Reason to Worry?

Local rag has been publishing stories on T. Richardson with shots from OTAs. I will admit not having seen much of him in college but this guy is a physical beast. He makes Ray Rice look like a JV'r. If the Browns can put together even an average passing attack, could we be in a tougher division with Cinci and Baltimore nipping at us?

Legend

User Info Menu

If their Offense can get moving, we'll be in the toughest division in football. Clevelands D is pretty good and their O could be on its way. Maybe Cincy will regress once again....
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There's no doubting that the sky is the limit with this guy. But I wouldn't say I'm worried, as if we can't stop the guy. Even if the best RB in the league (McCoy, MJD, Peterson) came to CLE, I don't think I'd be worried.

The worry comes from our side of the ball; not what the other team has. I do worry about the run defense this year, recalling Houston (and a couple other teams I think) run roughshod through us last year.

That all being said, I don't think CLE is that far off as most fans on this board would have you believe. As said, if Weeden can come in and play "game manager", they'd be a tough out for anybody... they've quietly assembled a lot of quality talent (not just athletically talented guys like some teams do... but high-character guys who won't be on a LOSER forever).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    There's no doubting that the sky is the limit with this guy. But I wouldn't say I'm worried, as if we can't stop the guy. Even if the best RB in the league (McCoy, MJD, Peterson) came to CLE, I don't think I'd be worried.

The worry comes from our side of the ball; not what the other team has. I do worry about the run defense this year, recalling Houston (and a couple other teams I think) run roughshod through us last year.

That all being said, I don't think CLE is that far off as most fans on this board would have you believe. As said, if Weeden can come in and play "game manager", they'd be a tough out for anybody... they've quietly assembled a lot of quality talent (not just athletically talented guys like some teams do... but high-character guys who won't be on a LOSER forever).
    Statistically, last year was the worst rush defense the Steelers have had since 2003. I didn't realize the Steelers rush defense was No. 3 or better in 8 out of the last 10 seasons. ... a marvel of consistency. (interestingly, 2003 had what i think was the Steelers weakest secondary in many years, with Chard Scott, Burnt Alexander, and Dewayne Washington playing. The last half of that season the Steelers were a doormat for opponent run games. So I wonder if the LBers were playing back to help the secondary...??)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Statistically, last year was the worst rush defense the Steelers have had since 2003. I didn't realize the Steelers rush defense was No. 3 or better in 8 out of the last 10 seasons. ... a marvel of consistency. (interestingly, 2003 had what i think was the Steelers weakest secondary in many years, with Chard Scott, Burnt Alexander, and Dewayne Washington playing. The last half of that season the Steelers were a doormat for opponent run games. So I wonder if the LBers were playing back to help the secondary...??)
    That's an interesting point. While I can't really remember much of that season (that trio you mention though, is enough), my suspicion is that last year's slippage wasn't due to the same sort of overcompensation. I think the "age" thing that was harped upon early last season was relevant. A lot of people want to brush it under the rug because we ended up being ranked so high, but people who watched every game know that this was far from a "top-ranked" defense, or any Steeler defense of note from the past.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    but high-character guys who won't be on a LOSER forever).
    Except at WR...they keep spending 2nd round picks on wideouts who missed their last full year of college football due to suspension. But as for the original point of the topic...yeah, Richardson is going to be a beast. And they have a pretty solid line in front of him too, highlighted by perhaps the best LT in football in Joe Thomas plus a top notch center in Alex Mack...I thought they overdrafted Mitchell Schwartz in round 2 this year, though...I heard that he may have some lingering injury issues...they could have had Cordy Glenn, Jonathan Martin, or Mike Adams there instead (or they could have drafted Riley Reiff with pick 1b, then taken Weeden in the early second (which is where they wanted to take him if they were able to get Kendall Wright at 1b if Tennessee didn't swipe him first).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

What do you expect a "local rag" to say? They are desperate for any good news. Do they have a QB yet? Sorry, a 28 year old rookie doesn't have me worried.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm sure the Ravens will have a bounty on him.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that Richardson will be good, and as Ruthless pointed out, the Browns have a very solid line.

The Browns also have a solid defense. They don't get much attention because the offense is so bad and they do not really have a star outside of maybe Haden, but the Browns D is good.

I wouldn't take the Browns lightly, but Weeden and their WRs don't scare me at all.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

All teams in AFC North has good defense. T-Rich i think is a great talent and Browns do have a great O-line but their biggest problem is QB and WR position.

When Browns are spending Rd-2 draft pick in Supplementary draft for a WR who has played one college season well they are desperate.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT