Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Steelers distance themselves from Franco Harris?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Are companies less like to hire Catholics because there have been priest after priest after priest (not just one single former defense coordinator) who have sexually abused young boys, and they were just simply transferred to new (unknowing) parishes to continue their disgusting vile behavior with all new innocent children without prosecution of any kind?
    Are companies less likely to hire people who were educated in public schools? After all, there has been far more sexual abuse in schools than in the Catholic church. We could go on and on and on. Hopefully, people are hired and accepted for their own abilities and attitudes and not because somebody did something wrong in an otherwise good institution that they were part of.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I suspect companies will be less likely to hire a PSU grad just because they don't want to be associated with this scandal in any way.
    I don't think so. If a student is talented he is going to get a job. For example Penn State Engineering Program is pretty well respected in industry. Students are going to get job. The only reason they might struggle to get a job is because of Economy and Joe Pa has nothing to do with it.

Say Joe Pa was associated with Carnegie Mellon. Do you think people will stop hiring Computer Science students from that school? No way. They will be still having 3-4 job offers before they graduate.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    I don't think so. If a student is talented he is going to get a job. For example Penn State Engineering Program is pretty well respected in industry. Students are going to get job. The only reason they might struggle to get a job is because of Economy and Joe Pa has nothing to do with it.

Say Joe Pa was associated with Carnegie Mellon. Do you think people will stop hiring Computer Science students from that school? No way. They will be still having 3-4 job offers before they graduate.
    The way I look at this is everyone knew as soon as the scandal broke that JoePa was calling the shots and probably covered everything up for the good of the program.

Yet as the story unfolded, the students and alumni stood up for JoePa. The players stood behind him. The alumni still gave their $200M in support of JoePa and this school.

I know that's only a subset of people, but it make people associated with PSU look foolish. So I suspect some will see PSU on a resume and look for the next resume. There's close to 20% unemployment. Employers can be as picky as they want and try to find the right candidate. They can use whatever they want to disqualify a candidate.

And corporate ethics is important given the backdrop of Enron, Siemens, etc. with corporate scandals out the ying yang. With CEOs and CFOs signing off on financials with personal accountability, companies have to be even more careful about who they hire.

Many companies don't want to hire employees associated with business scandals because they don't want it to impact their culture. I'm just suggesting some people may think this way. And I could see why they would with so much personal accountability.

We all know the people at PSU are just people like every other kind of people. But the most important piece of hiring is protecting your corporate culture. And companies try to minimize risk. Why hire someone from PSU when there's just as good a candidate available from Pitt or some other college?

There's a ton of luck associated with where someone ends up working. No matter what it is you do, there's probably thousands of others that could do your job better than you can if they were given the opportunity.

PSUers will get jobs. I just bet it might be harder.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

PSU students get hired so much because the people doing the hiring are PSU people. I went there...I know plenty of people who got jobs and I said to myself...What? How?

The PSU alumni network is huge and biased, and that wont change.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Individuals are at fault for what happened at Penn State not the institution. To punish the current students, teacher and thousands of alumni is stupid
    Not really. The institution is at fault for not having established rock-solid checks and balances. No different than the rogue trader that caused the oldest bank in England to go bankrupt on a billion dollar gamble. Yes, it was one individual. But the institution suffered the consequence.

Legend

User Info Menu

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--graham-spanier-penn-state-freeh-report-joe-paterno-curtis-enis-jeff-nalley.html[/url]

interesting article questioning what other unethical things were allowed at PSU?

I tend to agree with this article that the way this Sandusky issue was handled, it probably indicates there were a lot of other bad things happening at PSU and I bet a lot more people knew how unethical the university was.

More negative articles keep popping up and I suspect this is just getting started.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When Joe said he first learned about the sex crimes and he turned the matter over to the college, was that not true ? BTW, I have no use for the janitors that knew it was going and kept quite about it in fear of losig their jobs. They're just as accountable as everyone else.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    When Joe said he first learned about the sex crimes and he turned the matter over to the college, was that not true ? BTW, I have no use for the janitors that knew it was going and kept quite about it in fear of losig their jobs. They're just as accountable as everyone else.
    Every single human being that knew it was going on and didn't do more is just as accountable.

I love how the people who defend Paterno by saying he turned it over to the authorities and it's the authorities' fault that they wouldn't do anything. Complete rubbish. If I knew something like that was going on where I work, I wouldn't shut up until it stopped and I certainly wouldn't remain employed by the company that was covering it up.

There is no worse crime on earth than abusing a defensless child.

Legend

User Info Menu

I heard somewhere other coaches and players knew Sandusky took showers with kids, but they said they didn't know anything bad was going on.

The more I hear about this, the more it feels like a lot of people knew.

Legend

User Info Menu

Joe knew and he didn't do enough... they hid it. Any grown man who knows a guy is touching kids shouldn't rest until that man is in jail.

Unfortunately we keep seeing PSU fans and alum carry on the same mentality as Joe and the other people who knew.