Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Will the Steelers distance themselves from Franco Harris?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I have a few friends who still vehemently defend Paterno. To them I have 2 questions:

1. If YOUR son was abused by Sandusky, would you feel the same towards Paterno?

2. If at YOUR job, you found out that someone below you was abusing kids and YOU reported it to the authorities and they did nothing, would YOU continue to work there for years without saying anything else - just to protect your company's image and your own job????
    I don't think it could explained any better Eich. I think it's criminal to keep quite when you know wrong stuff is going on.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've tried to distance myself from Franco.... But the guy follows me everywhere!
    imagejpeg_2_10.jpg

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This article may interest some here. It is written by Jim Wallis and posted on the Sojourners website. I think his assessments are spot-on about the Penn State situation, and of the even bigger societal picture of institutions protecting their interests at the expense of the less powerful, the vulnerable and the weak. Too big to fail should never be true, I think.

[URL]http://sojo.net/blogs/2012/07/26/suffer-little-children-crime-and-punishment-penn-state[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    This article may interest some here. It is written by Jim Wallis and posted on the Sojourners website. I think his assessments are spot-on about the Penn State situation, and of the even bigger societal picture of institutions protecting their interests at the expense of the less powerful, the vulnerable and the weak. Too big to fail should never be true, I think.

[URL]http://sojo.net/blogs/2012/07/26/suffer-little-children-crime-and-punishment-penn-state[/URL]
    Maybe the NCAA can bring sanctions against the Catholic church.

The parallels between the Catholics and the PSU fans is eery.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I went to Penn State, graduated in the 80s. My brother was recruited by Joe out of a high school just outside of Pittsburgh. Joe came to our home, my parents went to the Paterno's home during the recruiting period. He was a very decent man. Some of the other coaches who recruited my brother were not. My brother chose another school, but while I was at PSU, I saw Joe on campus occasionally. One time I mentioned my brother and he remembered him and was very kind.

With this said, I understand the outrage people are feeling. But it will take some time for those of us who went to PSU, especially those of us who had a chance to meet Joe, to digest it. It is so contrary to the person so many of us felt we knew in some way. We are not stupid. We are just in shock, I guess. When you look up to someone, it's sometimes difficult to accept that they are not perfect......