Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will the Steelers distance themselves from Franco Harris?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have to agree or at least I'm that same kind of person. When I know something is wrong , I don't let it drop. If it was me that heard about this and I had the opportunity to tell the higher ups or to phone the police, I would in a heart beat. Just the way I am, I wouldn't let it drop because I would be doing the follow up with questions like, " what are you doing about this, do you have the evidence, shouldn't more be happening, are you not going to keep this guy away from the children until you know it's safe , what's taking so long, I can't stand to see this person around children or the campus, if more isn't done soon I will need to take further steps.
    Also, to me the entire school dropped the ball with Sandusky when, they knew he was showering with little kids. It's not normal to shower with kids be it sports or whatever, it should have been a red flag from that point. I doubt my kids have ever seen me with my shirt off unless we were swimming and I haven't been in the pool or the ocean since I was single. It was wrong all the way from the start.
    Here's another thing too. We all know the right thing to do was to tar and feather Sandusky from the start but, Paterno, the college and anyone that knew about this from the start could have been hero's had they just come out with it from the start. I would have been very proud of Paterno and the college or whomever that would have done the right thing. No, they allowed these kids to get brutalized for life all in the name of trying to want a clean image.
    Joe's not here to defend himself and I'll give him the benifit of doubt that he did turn the matter over to whomever but, it was not enough and it should have sickened him to the point that, he should have done a lot more.

Legend

User Info Menu

great post Fezz!!!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree JoePa had a role in not following up and bears some blame, but I think the coverup is more administration and the Board. Certain Board members knew and buried it, yet noone talks about them.
    The Freeh report really added nothing knew to the story, he just sprinkled Joe around the report loudly. No emails or anything incriminating. I think everyone just turned and pointed at a dead man. Its easy. Sandusky did it and its Joe's fault.
    I can appreciate his family wanting the FULL truth out there and not hide behind a felon and a dead man.

I went to school in Texas, so have no real dog in the fight. But I doubt JoePa was spending time dealing with this at all. He might have periodically asked about it, then walked away. Frankly, I don't believe JoePa was purposely doing anything other than blindly not paying attention to it. Which is bad enough, but I don't think he's the ring leader people have made him out to be.
    And you'll never have someone get into the Board's emails. And why haven't they PUBLISHED the emails. None were from Joe though.

Legend

User Info Menu

aggie... do you really see JoePa using email? I bet he didn't even use a computer. Joe knew.. the board knew and instead of turning Sandusky in they hid him and gave him access to kids and shower stalls.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    and expect Steeler fans to respect him?
    I don't think Franco is condoning the actions my PSU at all. I think he's just stating that people shouldn't be publicly crucified or considered guilty until proven guilty. Jerry Sandusky has been proven guilty and deserves every piece of **** thrown his way. Joe Paterno however has not been proven quilty for any involvement and does deserve to live under the realm of "innocent until proven guilty".

I understand my comment might be a bit controversial and I am in no way condoning the actions of PSU. However, when it comes to legalities you need to separate your personal opinions from the facts when making a quilty or not guilty ruling.

The best example I can give to defend Franco's statements is how Big Ben was treated in the media after the allegations against him. Ben was never proven guilty for anything but was publicly crucified and publicly stamped guilty. In everyone's eyes but Steeler fans, Ben committed those crimes. Think how we still defend Ben today "he was never charged", "he was never proven quilty". Think how bad it pisses you off when fans of other teams still throw that in our faces when it comes to Ben.

I'm just saying... you're innocent until proven guilty, that's what the Nations Law states.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAddicted View Post
    I don't think Franco is condoning the actions my PSU at all. I think he's just stating that people shouldn't be publicly crucified or considered guilty until proven guilty. Jerry Sandusky has been proven guilty and deserves every piece of **** thrown his way. Joe Paterno however has not been proven quilty for any involvement and does deserve to live under the realm of "innocent until proven guilty".

I understand my comment might be a bit controversial and I am in no way condoning the actions of PSU. However, when it comes to legalities you need to separate your personal opinions from the facts when making a quilty or not guilty ruling.

The best example I can give to defend Franco's statements is how Big Ben was treated in the media after the allegations against him. Ben was never proven guilty for anything but was publicly crucified and publicly stamped guilty. In everyone's eyes but Steeler fans, Ben committed those crimes. Think how we still defend Ben today "he was never charged", "he was never proven quilty". Think how bad it pisses you off when fans of other teams still throw that in our faces when it comes to Ben.

I'm just saying... you're innocent until proven guilty, that's what the Nations Law states.
    Hmm... Not trying to get into another Ben debate but I think most Steeler fans and people in general think Ben is guilty of putting himself in a compromising position after his last incident.

I think most people view JoePa the same way... he was guilty of not doing enough to put Sandusky under the jail... I don't care how much info Joe had... as soon as he heard kid, shower, sandusky it should have been multiple calls to get this guy in jail, off campus, off property. One phone call isn't enough...

I don't think we need a jury to decide how guilty Joe and others were... if they let this guy stay on PSU property and continue to run a camp... they are guilty of a cover up. IMO of course...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't fault Joe for the original steps he took about Sandusky. Pulling this from my memory, Joe said he handed the matter over to the higher ups. I know Joe is big man on campus but I would have to believe that something like this, Joe was out of his league on how to handle it, should have handle it or whatever. I get all that but, but, but, there is one thing that will never sit well with me and that is, Joe or whomever knew about this and all the way down to the janitors, they did not enough. They should have been sickened to the point of following through. Sandusky is the monster here and you have to be one sick unit to do what he did but, to allow it to go on without stamping it out as quickly as possible, your just as guilty. Society is at a loss or is lost when good people do nothing in the face of evil/wrong doing.

We were out for dinner this past Saturday and in the mens room they had pictures of Sandusky in the urinals. There wasn't a splash of pee on the floor lol.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    We were out for dinner this past Saturday and in the mens room they had pictures of Sandusky in the urinals. There wasn't a splash of pee on the floor lol.
    They should put pictures of Roger Goodell, on fire, in the urinals in the Steeler locker room to see what happens when Deebo has to take a leak...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I don't fault Joe for the original steps he took about Sandusky. Pulling this from my memory, Joe said he handed the matter over to the higher ups. I know Joe is big man on campus but I would have to believe that something like this, Joe was out of his league on how to handle it, should have handle it or whatever. I get all that but, but, but, there is one thing that will never sit well with me and that is, Joe or whomever knew about this and all the way down to the janitors, they did not enough. They should have been sickened to the point of following through. Sandusky is the monster here and you have to be one sick unit to do what he did but, to allow it to go on without stamping it out as quickly as possible, your just as guilty. Society is at a loss or is lost when good people do nothing in the face of evil/wrong doing.

That last line is hilarious...

The Red Sox organization distanced themselves from a colleague who was defending Joe or defending the handling of Sandusky... I think he even said something along the lines of coaches showering with young kids being normal back in his day.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't want to be a Paterno basher because he has done a lot of good and he isn't here to defend himself. I would like to think he did all that was possible. Had this happened to one of our kids or to one of us........geeze ! We would probably want the college shut down. I do believe that the football program should continue. It's not the players fault this all happened. Possibly if they want to punish the football program send all their earnings to help abused kids or something like that. It will be a long time before people can look at Penn State and not associate it with the crimes that have happened.