Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do We Have Too Many DLinemen?

Legend

User Info Menu

Do We Have Too Many DLinemen?

All of a sudden we're more stocked on the DLine than LB. Seems a little odd for a 3-4, doesn't it?

Hampton, McClendon, Keisel, Heyward, and Hood

vs

Timmons, Harrison, Woodley, Foote

Add in the rookies on each unit and call them a wash for now. Of course we've got Sly and Worlids, but I haven't seen enough out of those 2 yet to know what we have.

Just seems like we've got more guys on the line and not enough LBs and this is supposed to be a LB's defense. What's going on?

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

shift to a 4-3 base front.

Legend

User Info Menu

We are stockpiling the DL so when LeBeau goes out the door we can transition to the 4-3. Why else have we been picking up more DL versus LB the last couple of years? LeBeau is the only reason we aren't going to the 4-3 right now.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We are stockpiling the DL so when LeBeau goes out the door we can transition to the 4-3. Why else have we been picking up more DL versus LB the last couple of years? LeBeau is the only reason we aren't going to the 4-3 right now.
    -------JH---------Timmons------Woodley
    --Heywood----Hood-----McClendon-----Kiesel

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pops8 View Post
    -------JH---------Timmons------Woodley
    --Heywood----Hood-----McClendon-----Kiesel

Woodley is a 4-3 DE if we would ever shift. Guy would be a beast.

Timmons would be OLB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Woodley is a 4-3 DE if we would ever shift. Guy would be a beast.

Timmons would be OLB.
    I really don't know about that. Woodley is awfully short for a 4-3 DE. He plays like a base end but doesn't really have prototypical height or weight for the position. I'm sure he'd be good in a rotation.

I wouldn't be against switching to a 4-3. And, I agree that Tomlin has hedged his bets a bit with some of the personnel he has taken. But, I'm not sure Woodley is as natural a fit at 4-3 end as you suggest.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

We're thin at DL.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Current DL players:

NT = Hampton, McClendon, Ta'amu, Cade Weston

DE = Keisel, Hood, Heyward, Al Woods, Corbin Bryant, Jake Stoller, Ikponmwosa Igbinosun

Thin? I wouldn't say thin, necessarily...

But, with Hampton recovering from ACL surgery, I would say much of the DL depth is unproven...

We know McClendon can play and we strongly suspect that Ta'amu can as well, but we haven't seen it...Weston was a Pats* pick in 2010 who went on IR and was waived...he was on the Colts PS last year...

After Heyward, there are several unproven guys at DE...

Al Woods was a 4th round draft pick of the Saints in 2010 who was cut and signed to the Pittsburgh Practice Squad after Training Camp...the Buccaneers signed him from our PS and he played in 2010 as a reserve...in 2011, he was with Seattle for a short stint as a reserve before he was cut...Pittsburgh signed him to the active roster...so, he was on our PS last year and the team thought enough of him to bring him back...after Woods, there is no one who has played a regular season snap in the NFL...

Legend

User Info Menu

Hampton (entering his 12th season and turning 35 in September) and Keisel (entering his 11th season and turning 34 in September) won't be around much longer. This is the last year of Hampton's contract, and Keisel is signed for this season and next. When Big Snack and Da Beard join Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke in retirement, we'll have McLendon and Ta'Amu splitting time on the nose plus Hood and Heyward starting at the ends, with Corbin Bryant and Al Woods behind them for rotational depth purposes (they have shown some promise in training camps past, but have been primarily practice squadders up to this point...it remains to be seen if they can take the McLendon route from the P.S. that stands for Practice Squad to the P.S. that stands for Pittsburgh Steelers). If not, perhaps someone else like Kade Weston or Ikponmwosa Igbinosun (everyone's favorite name since Chris Fuamatu-Ma'Afala) can step and make the team take notice instead.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    We're thin at DL.
    As long as Casey Hampton remains on our roster, we'll never be accused on being thin at DL.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.