No deal imminent between Ravens and Ray Rice

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 10, 2012

With the clock ticking toward next Monday’s deadline for franchised players to sign long-term deals, you can tell who has leverage, and who doesn’t.

Drew Brees knows he can squeeze the Saints, while Ray Rice apparently doesn’t have the same kind of juice.

According to Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times, “no deal is imminent,” for the Ravens running back.

If Rice doesn’t get a long-term deal by next Monday, he’ll play out the year under a $7.742 million franchise tag.

That’s not bad for the short-term, but it’s far from recent deals for Texans running back Arian Foster (five years, $43.5 million) and Eagles running back LeSean McCoy (five years, $45.615 million)

Rice has yet to sign his tender, and has worked out on his own away from the team.

“I miss it,” Rice said during cornerback Lardarius Webb’s charity softball game. “That’s one thing you miss is the camaraderie with the guys. As far as playing football, I know I’m always going to be up to speed.

“The best thing about my situation is that we have the same offensive coordinator. I miss the camaraderie. It’s sort of like the lockout last year. It’s sort of that feeling for me. I know those guys are working hard. I’m just happy to be out here with these guys having fun.”

Barring movement between now and Monday, he may just have a year’s worth of fun in Baltimore.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/10/no-deal-imminent-between-ravens-and-ray-rice/[/URL]