Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spence

Administrator

User Info Menu

I'm very interested in seeing how Spense performs in training camp when he has to fight off blockers. Is size a concern... maybe. I'd be a bit less worried if he didn't have such poor bench press stats at the combine. I know that doesn't mean all that much but wasn't it the worst amongst all LBs?

With that being said, I love what I hear about his instincts, explosiveness and "football smarts". I've watched the youtube clips and it's definitely eye opening. One he diagnoses a play (which is VERY quick IMO), he attacks the ball like he's been shot out of a cannon (Polamalu-style). As long as he can hold up at the point of attack, I think we have our ILB of the future. I do think he'll need to bulk up some though.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'm very interested in seeing how Spense performs in training camp when he has to fight off blockers. Is size a concern... maybe. I'd be a bit less worried if he didn't have such poor bench press stats at the combine. I know that doesn't mean all that much but wasn't it the worst amongst all LBs?

With that being said, I love what I hear about his instincts, explosiveness and "football smarts". I've watched the youtube clips and it's definitely eye opening. One he diagnoses a play (which is VERY quick IMO), he attacks the ball like he's been shot out of a cannon (Polamalu-style). As long as he can hold up at the point of attack, I think we have our ILB of the future. I do think he'll need to bulk up some though.
    Yeah, I believe he had 12, which is quite poor for LB's (for that matter, I think Adams had 19, which is quite poor for OL). I guess we don't put big stock in the bench press numbers (although I think DeCastro's bench #'s were tops among OL). We need to send Spence and Adams to work with Hood and McLendon in the weight room.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Yeah, I believe he had 12, which is quite poor for LB's (for that matter, I think Adams had 19, which is quite poor for OL). I guess we don't put big stock in the bench press numbers (although I think DeCastro's bench #'s were tops among OL). We need to send Spence and Adams to work with Hood and McLendon in the weight room.
    The reality is that Spence and Adams probably both need a year of NFL conditioning and weight training. Once they have that I'm really excited about what they could bring.

As far as Adams that is why Starks needs to be back to be part of that mentoring process on how to be a professional and what you need to do. I hope that is soon.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Learning from the vets

Posted by Teresa Varley on August 8, 2012

Rookie linebacker Sean Spence knows his game can’t be one dimensional in the NFL, and that is why he is making sure he follows the lead of fellow linebackers Larry Foote and Lawrence Timmons, picking up on the things that they do each day in practice to improve.

“When you come in as a linebacker you have to do both well, defend the pass and run,” said Spence. “I have been watching Foote and Timmons every day and just learn from those guys.”

And what has he picked up from the veterans?

“A lot,” said Spence. “I am learning technique and what to expect in certain situations and formations. Also going out there and playing fast and having fun.

“They know they are going to get me better, as long as I trust in their technique and do what I need to do, I will get better every day.”

[URL]http://blog.steelers.com/2012/08/08/learning-from-the-vets/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

You can always develop and train strength into a players game. If Spence was as good as he was only benching what he benched...can you imagine how good he will be after a year in the weight room?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, you can improve technique and strength with the help of pro coaching...Spence will get better in this regard.

But you can't really do much to improve speed and instincts...those are things that you either have or you don't (and Spence has 'em).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Exactly, Ruthless. I'm much less concerned with someones bench press numbers than I am with game film. This kid is a baller. He is going to be a special linebacker.
    Trolls are people too.