Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaws QB Countdown: Big Ben ranked No. 6

Legend

User Info Menu

Jaws QB Countdown: Big Ben ranked No. 6

Jaws QB Countdown: Big Ben ranked No. 6

July, 9, 2012
    By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Lost in the Fourth of July holiday was the fact that ESPN's Ron Jaworski put the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger at No. 6 in his rankings of the 30 best veteran quarterbacks in the NFL.

Here's what Jaworski had to say about Roethlisberger:

On ranking him No. 6: "Roethlisberger is the strongest quarterback in the NFL. He not only extends plays with movement out of the pocket, but also with his natural strength in the pocket. He's 'barn strong.'"

On what Roethlisberger doesn't get enough credit for: "His ability to make throws consistently from the pocket. I charted all 60 of his 20-plus yard completions in 2011. Only five came outside the pocket. In fact, time and time again he showed one of the most central attributes necessary to play at a high level in the NFL: the willingness to look down the gun barrel and deliver the football."

On what to expect from Roethlisberger: "I have seen a lot of growth from Roethlisberger in recent seasons. Once undisciplined and inconsistent in the pocket, he is now much improved. At No. 6 on my Big Board, Roethlisberger's on the cusp of becoming elite."

The quarterbacks ranked ahead of Roethlisberger are: Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers.

The other AFC North quarterbacks who made Jaworski's quarterback rankings were the Bengals' Andy Dalton (No. 19) and the Ravens' Joe Flacco (No. 9).

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

On the cusp...pfft. Ben IS elite. Putting Eli ahead of Ben is a joke.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

Why?

2 Super Bowl victories? check
    Dramatic SB victories - Eli wins 2 to 1
    Passer rating goes to Ben, although Eli has been solid with about a 93 twice in the past 3 years
    Career TDs to INTs: Ben 165-100, Eli 185-129, slight edge Ben

Early in their careers, yeah....Ben was by far the better QB. Over the last 4 years though I'd say it's basically a push or slightly leaning towards Eli.

I'm not hating on Ben at all, but Eli deserves credit for the QB he has become.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I agree that Eli is not better than Ben. Never has been. Peyton use to be but isn't anymore but he is the classic type of QB that Jaworski loves so he will always get bonus points.

Brady, Breeds and Rodgers are all better than Ben. But a big part of that is that they are in offenses optimized to take advantage of their strengths. Ben never was. We'll see going forward.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I agree that Eli is not better than Ben. Never has been. Peyton use to be but isn't anymore but he is the classic type of QB that Jaworski loves so he will always get bonus points.

Brady, Breeds and Rodgers are all better than Ben. But a big part of that is that they are in offenses optimized to take advantage of their strengths. Ben never was. We'll see going forward.
    Rodgers also optimized himself within the frame of his offense...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Those guys are all really good, I think you could make an argument on where you put any of those guys really. Peyton to me would be the bottom guy just because of age and injuries, he could very well throw for 5,000 yards this year, win the Super Bowl and prove me wrong. He just never seemed to win the big, close games like Eli does. Eli has impressed the heck out of me the last four years; beating Brady twice in the Super Bowl is no picnic.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Why?

2 Super Bowl victories? check
    Dramatic SB victories - Eli wins 2 to 1
    Passer rating goes to Ben, although Eli has been solid with about a 93 twice in the past 3 years
    Career TDs to INTs: Ben 165-100, Eli 185-129, slight edge Ben

Early in their careers, yeah....Ben was by far the better QB. Over the last 4 years though I'd say it's basically a push or slightly leaning towards Eli.

I'm not hating on Ben at all, but Eli deserves credit for the QB he has become.
    With their recent play being so close, I give the edge to Ben because he has done it at a high level almost from the start. Jaws has a beef with Ben because Ben often doesn't look good making plays the way the other QBs do, you know...your typical timing QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

6th sounds about right. could maybe move up 1 spot or down a few

Administrator

User Info Menu

I bet Jaws is giving Eli the edge because he won the SB last year.

I would take Ben over Eli but I'm sure you'd get a lot of arguments on both sides.

With that being said, the statement about Ben being "on the cusp of becoming elite." is moronic. If Eli is elite then Ben is elite.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Putting Eli and Aaron Rodgers over Ben is a big joke.

Eli Manning has put awesome 17 and 21 points in SB. If Ben did that people here would be complaing about it. Ben including some Steelers fan say he wins because of Defense but what about Eli manning? Giants defense shows up during big games. What about Giants O-line? What about Giants RBs of B. Jacobs/Ward/Bradshaw? are they not better than what Steelers have?

aaron Rodgers is one and done with 31st ranked Defense. How many great season Aaron Rodgers had? 2? In the end he needs his defense too. I don't see anyone saying A-Rod wins because of Defense.

Jaws is a jerk of epic propertion.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT