Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three and out: Roethlisberger has red-zone woes

Legend

User Info Menu

Three and out: Roethlisberger has red-zone woes

Scoring troubles: The Pittsburgh Steelers offense struggled in 2011, finishing 21st overall in scoring with an average of 20.3 points per game. Part of the issue was the play of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, as his completion percentage fell nearly 15 percentage points in the red zone. Although the team addressed offensive line issues during the offseason, receiver Mike Wallace is still in the midst of a contract dispute, and running back Rashard Mendenhall might start the season on the physically unable to perform list list. Throw in the quarterback’s relationship (or lack thereof) with OC Todd Haley, and more questions than answers remain if the offense can improve this season. After Roethlisberger finished 13th among all fantasy QBs and was plagued by turnovers, fantasy owners should take a more cautious approach. Though the quarterback is expected to see plenty of passing opportunities this year, his status remains as a borderline No. 1 or 2 quarterback.

Now or never?: According to NFL.com’s Michael Lombardi, Tony Romo is the key to the Cowboys’ success in 2012. “If Romo works hard and prepares hard, great things can happen for the ‘Boys this year.” Compounded with owner Jerry Jones‘ belief the “window is getting shorter,” expectations are as high as ever for the quarterback. After coping with injuries to key offensive players last year, Romo looks to enter training camp with all his weapons healthy. There is no reason to believe Romo won’t maintain his status as a top-10 fantasy quarterback in 2012. Although his play has been called to question on the field, he has been one of the more consistent producers at the position in fantasy leagues. Expect him to go off the board in the second or third round.

Losing patience: Playing in a celebrity softball game over the weekend, Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel was booed by hometown fans. With a losing record (18-22) when at the helm, the clock is ticking on Cassel to produce. Even if he does perform well on the field, his fantasy potential is limited. The offense is expected to feature a run-heavy attack behind Jamaal Charles and Peyton Hillis, leaving little scoring opportunity for the 8th-year quarterback. Expect to find Cassel on the waiver wire after fantasy drafts, as he will be picked up only if owners suffer a rash of injuries at the position.

[url]http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/07/09/three-and-out-roethlisberger-has-red-zone-woe-zone/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

that's only because Art II the two-bit lawyer forces Ben to hand off too often and because Ben has to protect the defense since Dick LeBeau allows too many 4th quarter comebacks.

Run the ball Yoi!
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I love that sig
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I love that sig
    thanks, it cracked me up the first time i saw it.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    thanks, it cracked me up the first time i saw it.
    "whole mess" sums it up! I will be keeping one eye on Indy's offense this season just for kicks (maybe need to watch a quarter of play to see Arians trademark cluster appear on offense).

Legend

User Info Menu

Remember that you have TEs who are bigger than the guys covering them and we would go a long way to solving red zone issues.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    "whole mess" sums it up! I will be keeping one eye on Indy's offense this season just for kicks (maybe need to watch a quarter of play to see Arians trademark cluster appear on offense).
    After seeing Arians trying and failing to run a multi-TE offense with the likes of David Johnson or Matt Spaeth prominently involved, it was interesting to see the Colts draft BOTH of the top 2 TE's in the draft with the two picks following the Luck selection.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    After seeing Arians trying and failing to run a multi-TE offense with the likes of David Johnson or Matt Spaeth prominently involved, it was interesting to see the Colts draft BOTH of the top 2 TE's in the draft with the two picks following the Luck selection.
    I'm still hoping Saunders comes out and becomes our big pass catching TE. I've got a feeling this guy is going to be good if he gets his head on straight.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Spaeth was not a bad receiving TE...he was only rarely used as such by BA...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Spaeth was not a bad receiving TE...he was only rarely used as such by BA...
    I agree, but I think the blame is both on Arians and Ben who didn't throw to Spaeth. I rewatched lots of games where Spaeth was wide open for a 8-10 yard gain and Ben kept looking for someone deep.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"