Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Anyone interested in the Pirates around here?

Legend

OT - Anyone interested in the Pirates around here?

I don't want to jinx these guys, but they're pretty much the hottest team in baseball and have the 4th best record in the league going into the All Star break.

They have pitching. And maybe an MVP candidate in McCuthchen - 1st in Average, 3 in RBIs, 4th in Homeruns, and 3rd in Runs. It's been ages since we've seen a season like this out of a Pirate and he's been on fire the last month.

Last year, I was hopeful for the Buccos. Then I went to my first game in Atlanta and they lost in 19 innings and their season fell apart from there. I figure if I avoid seeing them play, maybe they can win the World Series this year. That'd be cool if the Pirates won a championship before the Pens and Steelers. Who'da thunk that woulda been possible.

How cool is it to be a Pittsburgh fan? We might have arguably the best player in every major sport - Ben/Troy/Harrison, Crosby/Malkin, and McCutchen.

you mean the first place at the All-Star break Pirates? when was the last time that has happened?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    you mean the first place at the All-Star break Pirates? when was the last time that has happened?
    Why that would be 1997, of course!

Nope. That's baseball- YUCK!!!

Don't worry they'll trade their good young talent for over the hill average players and end up in the cellar again.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Don't worry they'll trade their good young talent for over the hill average players and end up in the cellar again.

Pappy

Please no. It's time to be buyers, not sellers!

Hall of Famer
    having moved out of the 'Burgh many years ago, and not be an avid Bball fan I was surprised to hear them mentioned on national radio the other day (when was the last time that happened?). I was wondering what sparked the turnaround. Thanks for sharing the info, but sadly I have to agree with pappy on this. Current ownership doesnt seem all that interested in fielding a championship team....simply costs too much money.

ZOLTAN!!!
    I have MLB.tv and have been watching all the Pirates games.

These guys are for real. they are YOUNG....all their prospects are now coming thru the system and they have 2 stud pitchers still in the minors.
    They have 1 Dominant Starting Pitcher, 1 season'd Vet Starter but their next 3 are in question BUT they have a top 3 Bullpen. they have 3 or 4 excellent Middle relievers. Their closer Hanrahan is on of the best but has had some control issues this year.

I'm very excited....I grew up a METS fan but after they started acting like the Yankees and trying to buy championships I made the switch over to my beloved Pittsburgh Home Town Team. Go Pirates!! ZOLTAN!!!!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    No.. that era is over.

They locked up Cutch for 6 years and now that they are selling out games every day they aren't going to screw it up.

Back in the burgh now, and went to a Bucs game last week, the game they won with a walkoff HR. Great atmosphere, great crowd. Really enjoyed it. McCutchen is a special talent, and it really shows up live. They look god as a team, and it feels like a good 2nd half is ahead for them.

Narcissistic injury is the term used for any threat to a narcissist's outsized ego or self-esteem.