Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers could use red-zone makeover in 2012

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Care to address the fact that when he did throw, he didn't do it nearly as well as he did outside of the redzone?

Dammit Ben, throw better when you pass the ball the other 35% of first downs in the redzone.
    Not hard to stop when people know what's coming.

He came back from suspension, and the Steelers had 24 first down plays in the redzone I believe after his first 9 games.

19 runs, 5 passes.

Then, in 2011, they had 19 first down plays in the redzone to start their season:

18 runs, 1 pass.

When you are THAT predictable on first down and it fails? 2nd down becomes predictable as well.

Just like the Super Bowls he's been in. They have 24 TOTAL red zone plays in three Super Bowls.

16 runs, 8 passes.

That's not "balance", but no one says a word as long as it's the beloved run game getting the work because we have to run the ball like Franco and Jerome did.

Again, why are you paying Ben big money to be Trent Dilfer?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I've brought this up a few years ago. Ben might not be all the problem in the redzone, but he is certainly a piece of it. With a short field, a lot comes down to presnap recognition. Ben has the option to audible out of any play, so why doesn't he when he sees a particular defense? Rather than trusting his reads, he is waiting for guys to break free in coverage....not an easy thing to do in the red zone.
    With two TE's on the field? Who's he going to audible too? David freaking Johnson?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Crash stats do show both lack of R/P balance and predictability in the red zone. With less space to operate in, offenses need unpredictability and need to dominate with size and power and scheme, all of which our RZ offense has lacked or not used well. I am expecting Haley to correct for schemes and utilization of TEs, and for more power from the OL and RBs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Care to address the fact that when he did throw, he didn't do it nearly as well as he did outside of the redzone?

Dammit Ben, throw better when you pass the ball the other 35% of first downs in the redzone.
    I suspect every QB in the NFL has a lower throwing percentage in the redzone. It only makes sense because they have less field to work with.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Not hard to stop when people know what's coming.

He came back from suspension, and the Steelers had 24 first down plays in the redzone I believe after his first 9 games.

19 runs, 5 passes.

Then, in 2011, they had 19 first down plays in the redzone to start their season:

18 runs, 1 pass.

When you are THAT predictable on first down and it fails? 2nd down becomes predictable as well.

Just like the Super Bowls he's been in. They have 24 TOTAL red zone plays in three Super Bowls.

16 runs, 8 passes.

That's not "balance", but no one says a word as long as it's the beloved run game getting the work because we have to run the ball like Franco and Jerome did.

Again, why are you paying Ben big money to be Trent Dilfer?
    what were the results of those redzone passes he did attempt? I would imagine they should be good considering that everyone knows and expects the Steelers to run in the redzone, and the times he did pass it would therefore be unexpected.

Legend

User Info Menu

everyone knows and expects the Steelers to run in the redzone,

And that's the freaking problem.

Too worried about re-living the past.

Legend

User Info Menu

No one says a word? Yeah, we are all just THRILLED with our Red Zone production. What planet do you live on?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Maybe Ben should take all shots to the endzone between the 50 and 20 yard line to avoid the Redzone.
    "Wow, that was easier than putting! I should just get the ball in the hole on the first shot all the time." - Happy Gilmore

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

No one says a word?

About the predictable run game in the redzone? Nope.

Ben gets the blame, as this article proves.

Rookie

User Info Menu

About the predictable run game in the redzone? Nope.

Ben gets the blame, as this article proves.

[/COLOR]
    No one is blaming Ben for the red zone problems but you...

Ben's completion percentage is significantly worse in the red zone compared to the rest of the field...

Personally, I blame Arians more than Ben...