Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers' Base Offense in 2012?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Bubble Screen is the answer to beat the rush. Ball has to come out of Ben's hand within 2 sec on such plays. Rainey or MW could be really dangerous on such plays.

I think empty backfield will work with improved O-line. Well on paper O-line looks improved.
    You had me until you said bubble screen...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    You had me until you said bubble screen...

I am telling ya Bubble Screen works if called properly and at appropriate time. People keep thinking about terell suggs INT last season but Bubble Screen has been productive. 6 YPC on a bubble screen is not bad.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

While I think we all agree the 3 WR set is our best option, one thing to consider is Ben puts up his best numbers when we have multiple TEs on the field. His numbers, YPA, completion %, etc. are all better with multiple TE sets.

So there is a case for DJ as bad as that feels to say.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    While I think we all agree the 3 WR set is our best option, one thing to consider is Ben puts up his best numbers when we have multiple TEs on the field. His numbers, YPA, completion %, etc. are all better with multiple TE sets.

So there is a case for DJ as bad as that feels to say.
    Our OL has been so bad, that those TE's were primarily used to block in order to not get Ben killed. Ben was more effective with more time. If our new OL can give Ben more time, while also having more weapons out running patterns as well, his efficiency should go through the roof!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Our OL has been so bad, that those TE's were primarily used to block in order to not get Ben killed. Ben was more effective with more time. If our new OL can give Ben more time, while also having more weapons out running patterns as well, his efficiency should go through the roof!
    This is correct...

But, what I think Haley's plan needs to do is force defenses to cover every inch of the field...

I don't want to see Heath Miller running open for a first down while Ben tries to force the big play and throws incomplete...

With the guys the Steelers will have available in short, intermediate and deep routes, not to mention a tough inside runner like Redman, there shouldn't be any reason that the Steelers can't have an offense as feared as their defense...