Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiper: DeCastro and Pouncey Could Become the best G/C Combo in the NFL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Kiper: DeCastro & Pouncey Could Become best G/C Combo in the NFL

Kiper: David DeCastro and Maurkice Pouncey Could Become the Best Guard/Center Combo in the NFL

by Neal Coolong on Jul 7, 2012

ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper did a summer audit of the AFC North, and had some high praise for the future of the Steelers offensive line.

The selection of RG David DeCastro in this spring's draft gives the team a high-level guard in terms of athleticism, power and intelligence. Playing him next to Pro Bowl C Maurkice Pouncey, in Kiper's eyes, could give the Steelers the best combination of the two positions in the NFL.

That's high praise, and obviously, something every team would want, given the choice.

Injuries have been the main concern around Pouncey. He looked strong at times last year, but at other times, looked like he was off a step or two. After breaking his ankle in the AFC Championship game at the end of the 2010 season, and missing the Super Bowl, it was clear the level of play along the Steelers interior offensive line was down.

DeCastro somehow fell to No. 24, where the Steelers probably beat the commissioner to the podium to submit their pick.

The versatility the two will bring - the ability to pull to either direction - gives the Steelers loads of options in the running game. Add in the move of Willie Colon from right tackle to left guard, you're looking at the interior offensive line going from one of the worst in the NFL to one of the best in one offseason.

Kiper also mentioned the Steelers' big question this season surrounding their younger players.

My question is whether some of the younger personnel [on defense] can make that next step and become dynamic. Lawrence Timmons is already exceptional, but it's time for guys such as Cameron Heyward, Jason Worilds and Steve McLendon to become names.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/7/7/3142928/pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-line-david-decastro-maurkice-pouncey-willie-colon#storyjump[/URL]
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 07-08-2012 at 02:50 AM.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

It's possible to have that kind of hope when you get rid of the substandard Guards wehave had the past several seasons. I think we will see that we are better in short yardage and we won't give up the inside pressure that we have the past couple of years that consistently forced Ben to scramble.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Great. Now we'll have to hand off the ball inside the 5 and score touchdowns..... GEEEEEEZZZ what's the team coming to?
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Great. Now we'll have to hand off the ball inside the 5 and score touchdowns..... GEEEEEEZZZ what's the team coming to?
    And if they don't because 65,011 people know what's coming? Make sure to blame the new OC who's from Pittsburgh just like the old one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    And if they don't because 65,011 people know what's coming? Make sure to blame the new OC who's from Pittsburgh just like the old one.
    ...and Dick Lebeau and Art II as well, right?
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Rookie

User Info Menu

If we ever get DeCastro signed

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like how he lists a guy who hasn't had more than a handful of snaps (colon) as a positive. I know most people dislike legursky starting at lg, but I'd rather he started than colon. At least I know legs has been playing football the past two years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I like how he lists a guy who hasn't had more than a handful of snaps (colon) as a positive. I know most people dislike legursky starting at lg, but I'd rather he started than colon. At least I know legs has been playing football the past two years.
    Legursky, Kemo and Foster have been the problem. Keep them in a back up role where they belong.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

If that's what you want to call it.

If Colon is hurt again, I hope Foster plays LG.

Legend

User Info Menu

Foster plays well when he plays. The problem for him is he actually can back up 4 spots, so he's often skipped for lower talent who can't.