Thread: Question About the DBs

Legend

User Info Menu

Question About the DBs

First and foremost, someone out of the trio of Allen, Brown, and Lewis have to step up and win the starting CB spot. Given the league is pass heavy, we really need 2 of the 3 to step up and become starters because a nickle is almost the base defense nowadays.

But what I've been thinking about it our safeties are a liability in coverage. Both Troy and Clark are good players. Even great. But collectively, they aren't the best in coverage.

Could one of the young guys like Allen or Brown play FS? And could they be a long term upgrade at the position?

I think Allen's the best prospect of the 3 young corners to make the conversion. He's big enough to lock down a TE. He's fast enough to cover a lot of ground. And he's got some size. And I think he'd have the most upside of the 3 at FS.

Legend

User Info Menu

The team roster on the Steelers official website offers a clue. Cortez Allen and Keenan Lewis are listed specifically as CB, while Curtis Brown is listed as the more generic DB. ([URL]http://www.steelers.com/team/roster.html[/URL]). However, I think we keep them all at corner.

On offense, the team drafted a trio of young receivers in Wallace, Brown, and Sanders who could lead us into the future when Steeler fixture Hines Ward moved on.

On defense, the team drafted a trio of young corners in Lewis, Allen, and Brown who could lead us into the future when Steeler fixture Ike Taylor moves on.

I think we get by for another year with Mundy as the primary backup to both Troy and Clark (although I think that Will Allen could potentially be replaced by Robert Golden, Myron Rolle, or Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith). I think we keep 6 corners in Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown, Terrence Frederick, and Terry Carter.

I think we use one of our top two picks in the 2013 for a future starting safety, since Clark and Troy are both starting to get up there is age (and maybe draft a second safety as well...we seem to be successful drafting in pairs...2007 LB: Timmons and Woodley, 2010 WR: Sanders and Brown, 2011 CB: Brown and Allen, 2012 OL: DeCastro and Adams). Unlike last year, when there was a huge dropoff in safety talent after Alabama's Mark Barron and Notre Dame's Harrison Smith, the 2013 safety crop appears to be much deeper.

Senior safety prospects for the 2013 draft include USC's T.J. McDonald, Alabama's Robert Lester, Georgia's Bacarri Rambo, Miami's Ray Ray Armstrong, and Texas' Kenny Vaccaro. Juniors safeties who may declare in 2013 include LSU's Eric Reid, Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson, Florida's Matt Elam, and even LSU's undersized fireplug Honey Badger Mathieu might be able to make the transition to safety on the next level as well.
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 07-07-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Canes dismiss Ray-Ray Armstrong
    Updated: July 18, 2012, 12:05 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services

Miami dismissed senior safety Ray-Ray Armstrong from the football program, the school announced Wednesday.

The school did not give a reason for Armstrong's release, but did say it would grant him a full release should he elect to transfer to another institution.

Armstrong was suspended for four games at the start of last season because he broke NCAA rules by accepting gifts from a former Miami booster. He missed another game later in the season while the school checked if other violations were committed when Armstrong had dinner with a friend who works in a public relations firm that handles professional athletes.

In seven games last season, Armstrong finished with 34 tackles, one interception and one fumble recovery.

Armstong was named to the preseason Chuck Bednarik Award list, given to the nation's top defensive player. ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper rated Armstrong as the No. 5 safety on his 25-man Big Board.
    [URL]http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8176863/miami-florida-dismisses-senior-safety-ray-ray-armstrong[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Really hoping Rolle can step up. Him or Golden.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The team roster on the Steelers official website offers a clue. Cortez Allen and Keenan Lewis are listed specifically as CB, while Curtis Brown is listed as the more generic DB. ([URL]http://www.steelers.com/team/roster.html[/URL]). However, I think we keep them all at corner.

On offense, the team drafted a trio of young receivers in Wallace, Brown, and Sanders who could lead us into the future when Steeler fixture Hines Ward moved on.

On defense, the team drafted a trio of young corners in Lewis, Allen, and Brown who could lead us into the future when Steeler fixture Ike Taylor moves on.

I think we get by for another year with Mundy as the primary backup to both Troy and Clark (although I think that Will Allen could potentially be replaced by Robert Golden, Myron Rolle, or Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith). I think we keep 6 corners in Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown, Terrence Frederick, and Terry Carter.

I think we use one of our top two picks in the 2013 for a future starting safety, since Clark and Troy are both starting to get up there is age (and maybe draft a second safety as well...we seem to be successful drafting in pairs...2007 LB: Timmons and Woodley, 2010 WR: Sanders and Brown, 2011 CB: Brown and Allen, 2012 OL: DeCastro and Adams). Unlike last year, when there was a huge dropoff in safety talent after Alabama's Mark Barron and Notre Dame's Harrison Smith, the 2013 safety crop appears to be much deeper.

Senior safety prospects for the 2013 draft include USC's T.J. McDonald, Alabama's Robert Lester, Georgia's Bacarri Rambo, Miami's Ray Ray Armstrong, and Texas' Kenny Vaccaro. Juniors safeties who may declare in 2013 include LSU's Eric Reid, Oklahoma's Tony Jefferson, Florida's Matt Elam, and even LSU's undersized fireplug Honey Badger Mathieu might be able to make the transition to safety on the next level as well.
    Love the Honey Badger...got to watch

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsvUU9_Gv5Y[/URL]
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I really hope Rolle pans out. I love the humble guys in the NFL. I'm so tired of the drama queens on the other teams that it's awesome to cheer for guys like Troy and Rolle.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I really hope Rolle pans out. I love the humble guys in the NFL. I'm so tired of the drama queens on the other teams that it's awesome to cheer for guys like Troy and Rolle.
    Rolle is definitely high character guy and I got to watch him at FLa State for his entire time there. IMO don't expect much. He is a terrible pass defender. Good tackler. If he were bigger he would be a good LB but he cannot cover worth a darn.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Rolle is definitely high character guy and I got to watch him at FLa State for his entire time there. IMO don't expect much. He is a terrible pass defender. Good tackler. If he were bigger he would be a good LB but he cannot cover worth a darn.
    He's listed at 6' 2" and 219 lbs. Maybe if he can bulk up a little and clean up his coverage just a little bit then he could be a prototype player for future NFL defenses playing as a LB. Even if he is a poor coverage S he should still be a good coverage LB.