I'm in, provided it's not too late to join in. If it is, then, oh well. :P

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch View Post
    I'm in, provided it's not too late to join in. If it is, then, oh well. :P
    I'll put you on the list to fill spots unclaimed by last years players

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think 1 keeper player would be good, especially with such a deep pool of 12teams. As for draft order.... I think standard snake is fine with a reshuffle of a random order fresh for this year. Maybe someone who may not have enjoyed their last year's draft position, maybe looking forward to a redemption in tghis year's draft. Just my 2 cents.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY GOUK View Post
    I think 1 keeper player would be good, especially with such a deep pool of 12teams. As for draft order.... I think standard snake is fine with a reshuffle of a random order fresh for this year. Maybe someone who may not have enjoyed their last year's draft position, maybe looking forward to a redemption in tghis year's draft. Just my 2 cents.

I agree on the keepers.

Every team may select ONLY 1 KEEPER to be drafted in the same round as they were last year.

If more than one player is designated as a keeper by a team then I will assign only the player with the higher draft round to them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Can we know the draft order before we decide who to keep?

For example, if you know that you have the 12th pick in round 1, you may decide that it may be worth keeping your first round pick from last year, but if you have the 1st pick in round 1, you may decide to throw your first round pick back and keep someone else instead.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, it likely would be helpful what Ruthless mentions. But it won't matter for me, Ryan Matthews in the 6th round is a steal.

The big problem for me is the draft date. I leave for Jamaica that day and won't be able to participate live. I'm fine with pre-ranking my players, but if there was potential to move it back a day or two to 8/23 or 8/24 without ruffling too many feathers, that would be sweet.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I liked the idea of blind draft spots...it's like trading a future 1st round pick...you never know where you will be drafting. I personally think that makes it a whole lot more interesting and risky, and therefore fun.

Legend

User Info Menu

Oops- Chadman should read this thread...already joined in!
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Backup

User Info Menu

I have a serious issue with the "surrender a pick in the same round as you drafted the player last year" thing.

Obviously the strategy is to keep the best player at the lowest cost pick. My guess is that most people will be trying to find a bargain from among their 11-20 round picks (I realize that this might not be what everyone does, but it is the most logical option --- although if Chadman, for example, picks towards the end of round 1 and doesn't see any chance of getting a RB of LeSean McCoy's value, I could see him keeping McCoy and surrendering a 1st).

What this means is that if you got extraordinarily lucky with a late pick last year (i.e. DRock with Rob Gronkowski or Chadman with Darren Sproles, both in round 16) or got lucky when you pulled the trigger on an undrafter player who suddenly blossomed into a star (Asian with both Cam Newton and Victor Cruz, who each counts as an undrafted player and a 20th round pick), you will now get REWARDED FOR THE LUCKY PICK A SECOND TIME. That makes sense in the real NFL when you are building a team and keeping players year to year and dealing with contracts and a salary cap and a reverse draft order and so on...but there are none of those balances built into a fantasy league. I think that is over-rewarding people for a lucky draft selection last year.

This should have been decided on LAST SEASON, because it would have changed the draft / free agent / trade strategy for those of us who finished out of the playoff picture. Or instead of drafting a backup defense or tight end with a 19th round pick on draft day, maybe you'd have been more likely to take a flier on a rookie you hoped might blossom in 2012 and stash him on your bench. You don't see the NFL suddenly announcing to teams right before the draft that they are changing the rules for how players are selected. That is done far enough in advance to plan a multi-year strategy.

So if we are really married to the idea of having a keeper player, I think the fairer way to handle it is that you should have to surrender the pick corresponding to the player's current Yahoo Average Draft Position.

1-12 = 1st round pick
    13-24 = 2nd round pick
    25-36 = 3rd round pick
    etc

Then you are surrendering FAIR VALUE for the player.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Making it more like the NFL is exactly what I want. And I didn't announce it last year because keeper leagues are something new that Yahoo is promoting heavily and adding a lot of tools and options to work with this year.

I don't think reverse draft order, although I would like to do it, I don't think it would be a factor which makes keeper players unfair. Salary cap and contracts might make undrafted NFL players a bit more desirable, but really not that much more than a 5-7th round draft pick.

I completely understand your concern with altering last years strategy if you knew about this, but I checked through everyone's rosters and it seemed like there was a solid option for everyone. I believe you were the Hostile Squirrels, which means you could have Adrian Peterson in the 1st or Matt Forte in the 2nd...I know both are coming off injuries, but both also will be top notch players more than worth those draft positions come the end of the season and playoff time. If you don't like them, then Eli Manning in the 7th is a good value seeing as how he was the league's 9th highest scoring player last year.