Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should We Allow PSU Players on Steelers' Roster?

Legend

User Info Menu

Should We Allow PSU Players on Steelers' Roster?

Now that there's proof that JoePa knew about Sandusky and covered up the crime, does that show that the entire PSU culture was infected?

This was a man that molded young men to prepare them to play in the NFL. Now it seems a little tainted. Seems like the only team that should draft PSU players from here on out in the Bengals.

PSUers worshiped JoePa. His players worshiped him. Is that ingrained in the character of the university? That type of thinking? That type of character?

I know we seem to need a PSU player to win championships. So I'm torn. But do we really want players that have been infected by this horrific culture in what may now be considered the worst program in college football history?

If Goodell wants to send a message to protect the shield of the NFL, why not suspend all players who went to PSU indefinitely? We don't need this culture infecting the league.

The worst part is everyone sticking up for JoePa when this all went down.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Please tell me that you are joking...

I know that most of your posts are tongue-in-cheek, but the lack of smiley faces confuses me...

Legend

User Info Menu

Is there proof? I haven't seen anything. Besides I'm sure this is a sign of temporary insanity on your part due to the boredom of the off season to even post anything like this.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Is there proof? I haven't seen anything. Besides I'm sure this is a sign of temporary insanity on your part due to the boredom of the off season to even post anything like this.
    There is an e-mail from AD Tim Curley dated 2/26/01 stating that he (Curley) "thought things over and talked with Joe" before deciding not to turn Sandusky over to child services...VP Gary Schultz apparently went along with it...

Legend

User Info Menu

It's offseason boredom for the most part.

But I saw the email allegations and started wondering if JoePa was a cancer on the character of young men who played football at PSU.

Just remember how players and fans and alum stood up for him. Do we want these kinds of players on our roster?

I'm not completely serious about this of course. But thought it may be worth considering. We don't want players with questionable backgrounds for the most part. Would choosing to go to Penn State be a lack in judgement that's worthy of questioning?

If Goodell is going after the Saints the way he is right now, it seems reasonable to think that PSU players in the league might hurt the shield of the NFL just as much if not more.

Legend

User Info Menu

Of course not but I thought there were quite a few ex-PSU players (and students and alumni) who just didn't get it. Their expectations that the new coach be a "PSU guy" were moronic. They didn't understand you needed to make a completely clean break so when your new head coach was sitting in recruit's houses he could honestly say, "I wasn't involved in anything with Sandusky. I'm here to run a clean program." I thought they should have fired every single coach that was there under Joe Pa ( I believe they kept a few) and started fresh across the board.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Of course not but I thought there were quite a few ex-PSU players (and students and alumni) who just didn't get it. Their expectations that the new coach be a "PSU guy" were moronic. They didn't understand you needed to make a completely clean break so when your new head coach was sitting in recruit's houses he could honestly say, "I wasn't involved in anything with Sandusky. I'm here to run a clean program." I thought they should have fired every single coach that was there under Joe Pa ( I believe they kept a few) and started fresh across the board.
    Hiring O'Brien was a really smart move. Clean break with the past and a guy who can really say I know how to get you ready for Pro football. All he needs is a QB because the two at PSU now stink. Looks like he has already lined up a great one in next years recruiting class.

I hope to see Penn State come out with a Pro-style offense that can really put points on the board. This year will be tough, but in two years they will challenge for the Big 10 title.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    It's offseason boredom for the most part.

But I saw the email allegations and started wondering if JoePa was a cancer on the character of young men who played football at PSU.

Just remember how players and fans and alum stood up for him. Do we want these kinds of players on our roster?

I'm not completely serious about this of course. But thought it may be worth considering. We don't want players with questionable backgrounds for the most part. Would choosing to go to Penn State be a lack in judgement that's worthy of questioning?

If Goodell is going after the Saints the way he is right now, it seems reasonable to think that PSU players in the league might hurt the shield of the NFL just as much if not more.
    If all of the PSU players knew about the abuse and aided in the cover up, I could see your point...

JoePa built his own image up and pretty much hornswoggled all of Happy Valley...

I don't blame the players for that...

Legend

User Info Menu

Hey Flip,

I heard that there were some pedophiles, gangsters and drug pushers living in your city. It makes me wonder if you have just come to accept that this is OK. So, I am asking the mods, should we have a guy on this board who is like this?

Protect the PS badge, I say.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

LOL... the PSU players had no idea.