Thread: Chris Berman heads to ESPN's Monday Night Football booth

Legend

User Info Menu

Chris Berman heads to ESPN's Monday Night Football booth

Don't worry, folks...it's only for the late game of the opening week MNF doubleheader. I know that I wouldn't be able to stand Boomer-isms during MNF all year long. Once upon a time, in the pre-internet days, NFL Primetime was can't miss Sunday night TV...but I'm not in my teens anymore...nowadays there is only so much Chris Berman I can stomach.

Berman heads to the Monday night booth
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 27, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT

It’s officially time to break out the Deux Deux Deuxs.

ESPN has announced that Chris Berman and Trent Dilfer will call the second game of the season-opening Monday Night Football doubleheader, when the Raiders host the Chargers.

The official announcement includes a “podcast” from Berman, who likely still thinks that term is a reference to the film Invasion of the Body Snatchers, in which he explains how the decision came to be.

“Our president John Skipper, our executive V.P. of production John Wildhack, we were together, and midway through an interesting evening they said, ‘We’d like you to call the second Monday night game,’” Berman says.

“I went, ‘Now, wow. There’s something I never really thought about.’ Of course, I’ve thought about calling NFL games my whole life, but given what I do and Sunday duties, the normal ones, and it’s Week One of the season and you get your hands full and we’re all excited and we’re trying to do our best in the studio, etc. I didn’t see it coming.

“I said, ‘I gotta give you guys credit. So, you understand I haven’t called a football game in a while, although I’ve called many baseball games and U.S. Open golf, etc., etc. I was really surprised and excited about hearing it, to be honest with you. Really excited. It’s nice to be surprised after 32 years, it really is.”

This explanation implies that Berman had done no lobbying whatsoever for the gig. Which some people will believe, and plenty of people won’t.

To get ready for the regular-season assignment, Berman and Dilfer will handle the Titans-Cardinals game on August 23.

Per ESPN, Berman will host Sunday NFL Countdown on Week One, then fly to Oakland to prepare for the Monday night game. There’s no specific word yet on who will replace Berman for The Blitz, Berman’s SportsCenter-embedded review of game highlights with Tom Jackson.

And that’s perhaps the real news. For the first time in a quarter-century, someone other than Berman will get the opportunity to narrate the extended highlights packages from the games of the Sunday that was. To give up those reins, Berman must have really wanted to get in to the booth.

UPDATE 10:50 a.m. ET: ESPN spokesman Bill Hofheimer says that the host of The Blitz has not yet been determined. With Berman absent, Suzy Kolber will host Monday Night Countdown from Bristol.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/27/berman-heads-to-the-monday-night-booth/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dilfer also looks like I will watch another game with the sound off

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.