Thread: Ed Reed is absent from first day of Ravens mandatory minicamp

Legend

User Info Menu

Ed Reed is absent from first day of Ravens mandatory minicamp

Ed Reed isn’t at Ravens minicamp
    Posted by Josh Alper on June 12, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT

Ravens safety Ed Reed has sent mixed signals about his plans to play the 2012 season, a message that got a little muddier on Tuesday.

Reed did not show up for the start of the team’s mandatory minicamp session, which puts him at risk for more than $70,000 in fines from the Ravens. Reed has not been present for the team’s voluntary offseason work either, choosing to spend time at home with his family instead of being in Maryland. According to Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times, no formal explanation for his absence is expected.

Reed said last month that he was still unsure whether or not he was going to play this season. He reversed course a couple of days later and said that he wanted to play for years. Reed’s experience means that he needs this work less than other members of the team so you can’t read too much into his decision not to go to minicamp.

It’s unknown whether or not the Ravens will choose to impose the fines on Reed for not appearing. The team has shown no interest in getting money back from Terrell Suggs after his injury away from the team’s facility, but this is a different situation. Coach John Harbaugh and others have expressed nothing but confidence about Reed playing in 2012, but the coach also said that he didn’t think Reed would miss any mandatory work.

He’s now missing mandatory work and the Ravens are likely a little less confident about what comes next.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/12/ed-reed-isnt-at-ravens-minicamp/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ravens tiptoe around Ed Reed

Posted by Mike Florio on June 14, 2012

An awkward dance continues between the Ravens and safety Ed Reed.

Reed didn’t show up for a mandatory minicamp, skipping all three days. The team doesn’t know why he wasn’t there.

As of Wednesday night, coach John Harbaugh hadn’t even spoken to the perennial Pro Bowler.

“No, I haven’t,” Harbaugh said, via the Carroll County Times. ”Not to make too much out of it, I have tremendous respect for Ed. I’ve used the word admiration. I’m not worried about Ed being ready. I said a couple of weeks ago that I know is going to be working hard and getting himself ready for the season.”

It’s almost as if the Ravens believe that, when it’s time to play, Reed will show up and play — but that if they say or do something to upset him, maybe he won’t.

Reed, who briefly mused about retirement several weeks ago, likely realizes that his value to the team has increased given the injury to linebacker Terrell Suggs, putting Reed in line for a new deal that provides more security beyond his current contract, which pays out $7.2 million in 2012. And he also likely wanted the Ravens to figure that out on their own, without him having to take a stand.

Now that he has, the question is whether the Ravens will conclude that they need to find a way to give Reed, a 10-year veteran, a new deal that reflects his enhanced value to the franchise, especially with Suggs’ suddenly sounding less optimistic about his timetable for a return.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/14/ravens-tiptoe-around-ed-reed/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Ravens tiptoe around Ed Reed

Posted by Mike Florio on June 14, 2012

An awkward dance continues between the Ravens and safety Ed Reed.

Reed didn’t show up for a mandatory minicamp, skipping all three days. The team doesn’t know why he wasn’t there.

As of Wednesday night, coach John Harbaugh hadn’t even spoken to the perennial Pro Bowler.

“No, I haven’t,” Harbaugh said, via the Carroll County Times. ”Not to make too much out of it, I have tremendous respect for Ed. I’ve used the word admiration. I’m not worried about Ed being ready. I said a couple of weeks ago that I know is going to be working hard and getting himself ready for the season.”

It’s almost as if the Ravens believe that, when it’s time to play, Reed will show up and play — but that if they say or do something to upset him, maybe he won’t.

Reed, who briefly mused about retirement several weeks ago, likely realizes that his value to the team has increased given the injury to linebacker Terrell Suggs, putting Reed in line for a new deal that provides more security beyond his current contract, which pays out $7.2 million in 2012. And he also likely wanted the Ravens to figure that out on their own, without him having to take a stand.

Now that he has, the question is whether the Ravens will conclude that they need to find a way to give Reed, a 10-year veteran, a new deal that reflects his enhanced value to the franchise, especially with Suggs’ suddenly sounding less optimistic about his timetable for a return.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/14/ravens-tiptoe-around-ed-reed/[/URL]

Very interesting... I'd love to see Ed Reed retire at the last possible minute before the season starts.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.