Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Steelers Give Kicker Jeff Reed Another Chance?

Legend

User Info Menu

Should Steelers Give Kicker Jeff Reed Another Chance?

Former Steelers Kicker Jeff Reed Just Hoping For Another Chance

Thursday, June 21st, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Former Pittsburgh Steelers kicker Jeff Reed is not ready to hang up his kicking shoes just yet. The eccentric player known for his spiked hair, and at times colorful lifestyle, continues to train under the watchful eye of a personal trainer in North Carolina.

Reed, who just wrapped up coaching at a kicking camp this past week at Queens University in Charlotte, said Thursday that he trains every morning for about two and half hours starting at 6:00 a.m. and kicks religiously on Sundays at 1:00 p.m. to simulate game times.

Reed, who spent his first eight plus seasons in Pittsburgh, was released by the Steelers in 2010 following the 39-26 loss to the New England Patriots in week 9. In that game he missed a 26-yard field goal that he claimed was a result of the turf moving when he planted his foot. The miss made Reed 15 of 22 on the season in field goal attempts and it led to him being bombarded with questions following the loss. Some of the answers to those questions that Reed gave were interpreted by many as shots at the fan base and the organization.

Following his release, Reed landed with San Francisco 49ers where he finished out the season by hitting 9 of 10 field goal attempts. Following the lockout last year he spent the preseason with the Seattle Seahawks before ultimately being released prior to the start of the regular season. Reed did not kick at all in 2011.

On Thursday Reed made it known that he has no hard feelings toward the Steelers organization or the fan base. I asked him about the comments he made following the Patriots game concerning the fans. "When I look back, I just want people to know, the fans, it was nothing on them. The only reason they were negative toward me is because they know what I am capable of doing and I understand that," said Reed. "I know what I'm capable of doing. If I had a bad game it's frustrating to me and I don't have anything wrong with the fans. I think the fans are great."

During that same post game interview Reed also talked about the grass moving during his chip shot miss and said that he had mentioned to the organization several times that he had problems with the field. I asked Reed to clarify those remarks on Thursday and he let me know that he just thought that too many games were being played on Heinz Field between sod replacements. Heinz Field of course host home games of the Pitt Panthers, and several high school games are played there during the season in addition. Being as Reed was a team captain, it was his duty to inform them of that, he said.

Reed does not hide his want to return to Pittsburgh. "There's nothing better than playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Do I want another shot? Heck yes, man I wish I was in Pittsburgh, but it's not on me," said Reed. "I know my talent can take me to greater heights and I could be the number one scorer in Steelers history and I could have the number one percentage in Steelers history. I could do all of that, but it's not up to me. Its all about timing and they've moved on."

Because the Steelers have moved on for now does not mean that Reed has fallen out of touch with the organization. "I had a good conversation with Kevin Colbert a month ago on the phone, over 30, 45 minutes," said Reed. "I have no hard feelings toward the organization, I just want another chance." Reed continued on to say, "I miss the team, I miss the organization, I miss the Rooney's, I miss Coach Tomlin. I just know that I have plenty left in the tank and that's what bothers me. It's not that I'm bothered by the organization at all."

The Steelers currently have kickers Shaun Suisham and Danny Hrapmann on their 90 man roster as they head towards training camp, but anything can happen between now and then. Hrapmann was really not the Steelers first choice to bring in as a camp leg to challenge Suisham as Grant Ressel was signed following the draft. Ressel did not last long as he was released following the rookie camp.

Bringing back Reed to challenge Suisham in training camp would not be a bad idea in my opinion. Assuming that Reed would accept a qualifying contract for the veteran minimum, it would present a great training camp battle. Suisham, who signed a four-year deal prior to the start of the 2011 season, is scheduled to count almost $1.69 million against the 2012 salary cap. Should he be released prior to the start of the regular season, he would count just $337,500 in dead money in 2012 and $675,000 in dead money in 2013. The cap cost for Reed on a one-year qualifying contract would be $540,000 if no signing bonus was given.

Reed is resigned to the fact that rosters are full at this time of the year, but said that his agent stays in touch with every team. "I don't think there are too many spots open right now to be honest with you, but injuries happen, mis-hits happen." Reed said Thursday. "I can't really say that I'm going to be in a training camp. I hope so. All I can do is pray everyday that God lets me know my next step and that's just the way it is."

In the meantime Reed said that he will continue to work his tail off as he knows that a call could come at any given moment. He said he nailed a kick last week from 60 yards with no wind and that his kick-offs, something that was a knock on him, have improved and that he has good hang time and distance.

Reed ended the talk I had with him by saying, "I'm just hoping that I get another chance." Will the Steelers give him that chance? I think they should.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/former_steelers_kicker_jeff_reed_just_hoping_for_a nother_chance/11065658[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I say do it. I also said last season if he was contrite in the press and humble, that would be a good first step.

Suisham makes me nervous every time he kicks.

Starter

User Info Menu

yeah go for it.. i was watching some old Steeler tapes. I miss the ol' knuckle head.. I think the time away has humbled him a bit.. Bring him in to compete.. Sushi, no bueno...
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Legend

User Info Menu

If he can win the spot take him back, but I wouldn't just give him the job

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd absolutley bring him back in. If his mindset is good and he's still got the leg; it'd be damn near impossible to be worse than Suisham and Hrapmann will not be the answer.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bring him back, of course...there are towel dispensers all over the city that haven't been roughed up yet.

Legend

User Info Menu

NO thank you. Reed is available because he lost it. Don't need a mental case on the team.

He would be a good example to current player about what happens when you try to play hardball with the Steelers regarding contracts. "The Chief" puts an Irish curse on you.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    NO thank you. Reed is available because he lost it. Don't need a mental case on the team.

He would be a good example to current player about what happens when you try to play hardball with the Steelers regarding contracts. "The Chief" puts an Irish curse on you.

I agree with you, Ovi. He seemed to burn the bridge pretty well when he left town, not to mention flaking out as a kicker. That seems to be a position where a guy can lose it overnight.

Legend

User Info Menu

So making 9 of 10 kicks after leaving Pittsburgh proved that he "lost it"?

The bridges were so burned that the Steelers allowed him access to their building last season to visit teammates and to workout and kick on their indoor field on his own time.

Legend

User Info Menu

While I certainly understand the thought process of not wanting him back; I think it's very possible for a person to change and sometimes you realize the grass "ain't" greener elsewhere. Yeah, his ego got the best of him and he said some things he should not have said. But it sounds as if he realizes he made a mistake. And unless you think he's lying about the long conversation with Colbert; the lines of communication are not totally gone. A year away and not getting calls can humble a player.

For me it's simple - Suisham sucks. I gringe every time he walks on the field. Why not open up the competition to a guy, who for a while was a very good kicker in a tough stadium on a terrible field? Why not see if a year out of the game refocused him and made him want it more than ever? Appears as if there is nothing to lose - he doesn't have it, you cut him and you've hopefully made SS work harder. He turns out to have his old stuff back and you improve your kicking game and it cost less against the cap.