Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Makes It and Who Doesn't

Legend

User Info Menu

Who Makes It and Who Doesn't

For this year's rookie class it may be the most fortunate in years. With the release/retirements of Hines, Smith, Hoke, Farrior, McFadden, etc. there are probably more potential roster spots open than anytime in the past decade.

Still early, but which of our rookies will make the roster? Which of our veterans are still at risk?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Too early to tell on many of these guys, but I think Scott and his $2.2 million dollar salary may be in trouble.

I believe that Beachum may be able to long snap. If he can beat out Warren, I could see him making the team as the long snapper and providing an extra game day reserve lineman.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Listening to Tomlin,Colbert and Haley talk it sounds almost like a given that Rainey will make the team and be getting a hat each week.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

DeCastro, Adams, Spence, and Ta'Amu are locks obviously (unless they do something very stupid).

Rainey may have some competition on his hands with Baron Batch coming back. But, Rainey is a such a good special teams player (ret and coverage), can play slot WR, and some RB. I think that versatility allows him to make the team as a RB or as a WR. Makes team.

Clemons has an excellent chance to make this team as we only have 4 locks at WR at this point. However, I think someone like Derek Williams might beat him out. Clemons best shot is if he shows he can be a red zone threat. Practice Squad.

Beachum could easily make the team. Even with DeCastro and Adams, we only have 9 locks on OL. We will keep 9 or 10 OL. Most years at least one OL goes down in camp or preseason. Furthermore, he could make the team as a long snapper. His position flexibility helps him. Makes the team.

Paulson is a weird pick. We have so many TEs and H-backs coming to camp already. Paulson is a finesse TE with no long speed. I just don't see where he fits unless Haley totally reinvents this offense. Cut.

Terrence Frederick. The 7th round corner from A&M has an excellent shot to make the team. We will likely keep 9 or 10 DBs. After letting McFadden go and Gay signing elsewhere, we only have 8 locks. At least one, maybe two slots are open. Makes the team.

UDFAs-
    P Drew Butler-will be given a shot to win the job. He is a good punter and should have a real shot. Makes team.
    S Robert Golden-undersized free safety with some injury issues. Practice Squad material
    OLB Brandon Lindsey-has some pass rush ability but probably does not have NFL athleticism. Practice Squad.
    CB Terry Carter- who? I guess he has a shot as we have open DB slots. But, I guess cut.
    WR Marquis Maze. Maze is a shifty, very short WR with good hands. He is not fast. Cut.
    K Grant Ressel. Grant Ressel is a guy. Cut.
    LB Adrian Robinson. Looks like a candidate for ILB. We seem all stocked up there. Cut.
    OT Desmond Stapleton-Darnell's brother! Cut.
    DE Jake Stoller from Yale! Cut.
    WR Connor Dixon (6'5" 222). Might make PS if he shows potential. But, I say cut.
    DE Ikponmwosa Igbinosun from Souther Conecticut State. That is a fantastic name that belongs on the practice squad.

I say we will keep 8 rookies that we drafted or signed immediately after the draft. If Clemons shows he can pick up the offense and demonstrates good hands, he could be the ninth.
    Last edited by steelblood; 04-29-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's all about Position Openings.

Right now, the Steelers could use upgrades at:

#3 QB- Batch, Troy Smith, Jerrod Johnson & Alex Tanney
    RB Depth- After Mendy & Redman- Dwyer, Clay, Batch, Spann & Rainey
    5th WR- Derrick Williams, Toney Clemons, Marquis Maze, Wes Lyons
    3rd TE- Poulsen vs David Johnson vs Wesley Saunders
    3rd/4th OT- Mike Adams, Jon Scott, Trai Essex
    4th OG- Trai Essex, Kelvin Beachum, Doug Legursky, Chris Scott
    LS- Beachum vs Warren
    PK- Suisham vs Ressel
    P- Kapinos vs Butler
    NT- Ta'amu vs McLendon
    ILB- Spence vs Sylvester vs Ivy
    5th CB- ??
    4th Safety- Myron Rolle vs Cromartie-Smith vs Will Allen

Would think DeCastro is safe, same with Spence. Adams is most likely safe, just a matter of not getting in trouble. Clemons will be in a battle with Derrick Williams for that #5 WR spot. Beachum might stick if his LS ability is ok- position flexibility plus the ability to LS will have him dressed from Day 1. Not sure about Paulsen- good be PS for him. Don't really know the young CB, but if the competition for that #5 CB is not too tough, he stands a chance.

Rainey is the real question mark. Chadman wanted a RB in this draft, but after Miller & Turbin were gone in Round 4- the value for the Steelers dropped. They already HAVE a Chris Rainey on the roster- Barron Batch. They needed a compliment RB to Redman for this season to cover for Mendy's injury. Rainey isn't that guy (not saying he's a bad player- just not what the Steelers 'need'). Rainey probably needs Batch to show he can split carries with Redman, making Rainey the 3rd down RB. If it were up to Chadman- sign Tim Hightower to a 1 year deal & have him split carries with Redman- then get an extension for Mendy sorted out. No RB on the roster is better than Mendy. ST might be Rainey's best hope.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Rookie

User Info Menu

Keep an eye on LB Adrian Robinson from Temple. He was a beast for several years coming off the edge at Temple. Don't be surprised if he is the one pushing for a roster spot.

Legend

User Info Menu

i think rainey makes it and get a helmet on game days just on his return abilities

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Rainey is the real question mark. Chadman wanted a RB in this draft, but after Miller & Turbin were gone in Round 4- the value for the Steelers dropped. They already HAVE a Chris Rainey on the roster- Barron Batch. They needed a compliment RB to Redman for this season to cover for Mendy's injury. Rainey isn't that guy (not saying he's a bad player- just not what the Steelers 'need'). Rainey probably needs Batch to show he can split carries with Redman, making Rainey the 3rd down RB. If it were up to Chadman- sign Tim Hightower to a 1 year deal & have him split carries with Redman- then get an extension for Mendy sorted out. No RB on the roster is better than Mendy. ST might be Rainey's best hope.
    I have to disagree strongly here...

Batch outweighs Rainey by around 30 lbs (210 vs 180)...Batch has the legitimate size to carry between the tackles as well as the heft to help out in pass protection...based upon the tape posted on this board, there is no reason to believe that, barring another serious injury, Batch won't be able to pick up where he left off last year...Rainey can't consistently contribute that way in the offense...Rainey is more of a WR/RB/give him the ball in space type player...he could also be the primary return man...Rainey isn't going to be a designated 3rd down back, though he will show up in those packages...

If Clemons shows anything in camp and preseason, I believe that the Steelers will keep 6 WRs once again, counting Rainey and Clemons as the #5 and #6 WRs...

After Mendenhall, the stable of RBs includes Redman, Batch, Dwyer, Clay and Spann...I think that Mendenhall will start the season on the PUP list and the first four RBs listed will be on the roster...I think that Redman and Batch will play every week while Clay and Dwyer will compete for a hat, though I think that, based upon past performance in training camp and the preseason, Dwyer will look terrible early and end up inactive for a week or two before coming around...

After week 6, the Steelers will have three weeks to decide whether or not Mendenhall will be activated or placed on injured reserve...if all goes well, he will be activated and take the roster spot of Dwyer or Clay...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Oh, and I think Paulson might be a place holder for Wesleye Saunders and signed to the PS after game 4...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    i think rainey makes it and get a helmet on game days just on his return abilities
    I think Rainey makes the team easily unless he gets injured. The guy is a big-time weapon w/ world class speed. Batch isn't the same type of weapon.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.