Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers to play in Ireland?

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers to play in Ireland?

Wake-up call: Steelers to play in Ireland?

June, 21, 2012
    [url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/50126/wake-up-call-steelers-to-play-in-ireland\[/url]

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Every morning, grab a cup of coffee and get your AFC North wake-up call here:

Could the Pittsburgh Steelers play a regular-season game in Ireland?

If Dan Rooney has his way, it will eventually happen. League officials visited Dublin's Croke Park this year and found the venue "very attractive."

"I think sometime very soon it will happen and I think the commissioner is interested in working something out and, sure, I'd like to see the Steelers involved," Rooney told the BBC News-Northern Ireland site.

Rooney has been the United States ambassador to Ireland since 2009.

Hensley's slant: I've never been in favor of moving regular-season games from fans here in the United States, especially the ones who pack their home stadiums. I understand that the owners want to market the game internationally. That generates more revenue. I just dislike the fact that one of the eight games at Heinz Field in a given season could get displaced because of Ireland.

BENGALS: ESPN's John Clayton told the Bengals' official website that he is going to wait before giving a final grade to the Bengals, but he thinks Cincinnati is going to be in the hunt thanks to another big draft. "They're not as good as Pittsburgh and Baltimore yet," Clayton said. "(But) let's put it this way. I think they're going to be contending for years." Clayton questions the addition of running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis. "He's never carried it very much or been the lead guy," Clayton said. "He isn't used to a lot of carries and he's going to a running division and running team." Hensley's slant: There weren't any explosive running backs available in free agency. Cincinnati had to choose between Green-Ellis and Michael Bush. Green-Ellis provides more ball security and more power in the red zone.

BROWNS: Josh Cribbs set career highs in receptions (41), receiving yards (51 and touchdown catches (four) last season. He still believes he can make an impact as a wide receiver. “I’m going to catch the ball when it’s thrown to me,” Cribbs told the Browns' official website. “I’m excited about getting the ball in my hands and doing something with it. I’m still proving to the naysayers about catching the football, but I have no problem proving everybody wrong.” Hensley's slant: Cribbs might not get his way, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Cribbs isn't expected to come close to his 567 offensive snaps from last season because he is expected to see "heavy duty" on special teams. The Plain Dealer reported the Browns hope Josh Cooper and/or Jordan Norwood can fill the third receiver spot.

RAVENS: The Ravens’ medical staff has been examining sleep studies put together by the U.S. military to determine if it would make sense to change the team’s schedule when heading to the West Coast. One change would be to slowly move back morning meetings throughout the week (the morning meetings would begin 8:15 a.m. on Wednesday but start at 10:15 a.m. by Friday) so players will get acclimated to West Coast times. "We’re turning over every stone, looking at everything in our program, to find any way to get better,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh told the Ravens' official website. Hensley's slant: A change is probably in order for the Ravens. Last season, half of their regular-season losses came on the West Coast. Baltimore lost at Seattle (22-17) and at San Diego (34-14). The Ravens' only West Coast trip this season is at San Diego on Nov. 25.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That would suck.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tell the NFL no.

Send Perrish Cox and the 49ers over. Or Mike Vick and the Eagles over. Or Cedric Benson and whereever he ends up over.

Goodell vilifies this team, and it's players. And now Dan will bend over for him and send this team to Ireland?

Rooney needs to show loyalty to his players for once, and tell the league to get bent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tell the NFL no? You do realize that Dan Rooney is the one trying to get the Steelers to go, not the other way around , right?

Dan Rooney:

"I think it'd be terrific," he says.

"We came over before back in 1997 and played a pre-season game.”

A canny diplomat within the sport, Rooney says he has already lobbied Roger Goodell, the NFL commissioner, playing hard on the fact that Goodell's family heritage also happens to be Irish.
    "We've talked about it," he grins.

"But I think sometime very soon it will happen and I think the commissioner is interested in working something out and, sure, I'd like to see the Steelers involved."

Legend

User Info Menu

Then he needs to grow a set and realize this team going to Ireland is a complete waste of time.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Then he needs to grow a set and realize this team going to Ireland is a complete waste of time.
    ...in your opinion.

Dan, apparently, has a different opinion entirely...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    ...in your opinion.

Dan, apparently, has a different opinion entirely...
    Yeah, the wrong one.

I would bet if you asked his players, they would agree with me.

Their wishes should come first. I mean really, would anyone really care 5 years after the fact that they played there? Why uproot you're entire team for a week in Ireland?

Makes no sense.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

It might suck for some of you guys! But for obvious reasons I'd love this to happen .....just a short boat trip! Croke Park has an amazing atmosphere when full. But I do concur with the above opinions, it does make no sense!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Yeah, the wrong one.

I would bet if you asked his players, they would agree with me.

Their wishes should come first. I mean really, would anyone really care 5 years after the fact that they played there? Why uproot you're entire team for a week in Ireland?

Makes no sense.
    It's all part of the job...

I bet if you asked the players, they would also do away with OTAs and training camp...

Even the lowest paid player makes hundreds of thousands of dollars per year...if the boss wants to send them on an all-expenses-paid work trip to the Emerald Isle, they should be fine with it...they're professionals...

At any rate, it won't happen soon...right now, the St. Louis Rams are scheduled to play at Wembley Stadium through 2014...

Unless the NFL wants two regular season games overseas...
    Last edited by Slapstick; 06-22-2012 at 01:44 PM.