Thread: Former Steeler Clark Haggans to serve 9 days in Westmoreland jail for DUI

Legend

User Info Menu

Former Steeler Clark Haggans to serve 9 days in Westmoreland jail for DUI

Former Steeler Clark Haggans to serve 9 days in Westmoreland jail for DUI
    By Renatta Signorini and Paul Peirce

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 1:46 p.m.
    Updated 11 minutes ago

Former Pittsburgh Steeler Clark Haggans was incarcerated this morning in the Westmoreland County Prison to serve a nine-day sentence for a 2011 driving under the influence offense in Arizona.

Haggans, who now plays for the Arizona Cardinals, reported to the prison yesterday to serve the sentence, according to county Sheriff Jon Held.

“He turned himself in this morning,” Held said.

Haggans, 35, will serve a mandatory 48 hours, then be on work release for seven days, the sheriff said.

Haggans is paying the county $702, or $78 a day, to serve his sentence locally, Held said. During his work release, Haggans will leave in the mornings and report back in the evening to sleep at the jail.

Warden John Walton said Haggans, who lives in Arizona, requested to serve his sentence at the Hempfield jail.

“He’ll be treated like everyone else. I guess through his years with the Steelers he has some local ties,” Walton said.

“He’s paying his own way. We’ve taken in prisoners from all over the United States who live here and may have gotten in trouble from other jurisdictions. ... It’s not uncommon,” Walton said.

“We had to get a court order from out there, which he provided us with. He had to fill out all of the paperwork like everyone else and also undergo a urine test when he got here — just like everyone else,” Walton said.

The Steelers took Haggans in the fifth round of the 2000 draft. He was a linebacker on the Steelers Super Bowl XL team that beat the Seattle Seahawks in February 2006. He left the Steelers in 2008 and signed with the Arizona Cardinals. He recently re-signed a one-year deal with the Cardinals.

Haggans was arrested April 21, 2011, in Maricopa County, Ariz. According to court records there, police pulled Haggans over for speeding and running a red light.

Records indicate police determined his blood-alcohol content was more than .20 percent. Drivers with a .08 blood-alcohol content are considered legally intoxicated in Arizona.

Haggans was convicted of DUI in 2004 in Colorado.
    [URL]http://triblive.com/news/2063469-74/haggans-serve-held-steelers-arizona-county-cardinals-prison-signed-according[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Suspend him!

And when they do that, they can suspend Wes Welker too.

[URL]http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/wes_tackled_by_aspen_cops_WAY11Kal29MJOXSOXcwBTN?u tm_campaign=OutbrainA&utm_source=OutbrainArticlepa ges&obref=obinsite[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Suspend him!
    I agree. Especially since it's a second DUI offense. Strike 3 and he should be kicked out of the league for good, IMO.

Hope he gets some help for his drinking problem.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yep. First DUI puts you in the NFL's SAP program.

2nd one is a suspension. 2nd strike.

We'll see if Adolph abides by his league's own rules on this one.

Legend

User Info Menu

Haggans agent, Jeff Sperbeck, posted a statement on Twitter about the incident.

In the statement, Haggans explains he was at a concert, and drinking, when he got a call from a “panicked” babysitter saying his 5-year-old daughter was having trouble breathing. After trying unsuccessfully to find his wife/designated driver, he left for home, and was pulled over. Officers accompanied him home, he gave his daughter the medicine she needed, and then he was cited for a pair of moving violations. He’ll spend 48 hours, plus seven additional nights in jail as part of a plea agreement.

“In hindsight, I should have found another way home, and I take full responsibility for my actions,” Haggans’ statement read.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/20/clark-haggans-is-spending-some-time-in-jail/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Doesn't matter. Call a cab.

He's convicted and now a jailbird to boot.

I await his suspension per NFL guidelines.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Doesn't matter. Call a cab.
    $$$
    There's always an excuse of some kind. NFL needs to stick by its policy on this.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Haggans agent, Jeff Sperbeck, posted a statement on Twitter about the incident.

In the statement, Haggans explains he was at a concert, and drinking, when he got a call from a “panicked” babysitter saying his 5-year-old daughter was having trouble breathing. After trying unsuccessfully to find his wife/designated driver, he left for home, and was pulled over. Officers accompanied him home, he gave his daughter the medicine she needed, and then he was cited for a pair of moving violations. He’ll spend 48 hours, plus seven additional nights in jail as part of a plea agreement.

“In hindsight, I should have found another way home, and I take full responsibility for my actions,” Haggans’ statement read.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/20/clark-haggans-is-spending-some-time-in-jail/[/URL]
    That's WAY too many characters for Twitter. Suspend his agent for violating Twitter policies too.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    That's WAY too many characters for Twitter. Suspend his agent for violating Twitter policies too.

I think this is the new Twitter where the agent or attorney gets to re-write what you "really meant to say" on Twitter in a press release.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I think this is the new Twitter where the agent or attorney gets to re-write what you "really meant to say" on Twitter in a press release.
    I want to see the agent or attorney "what you really meant to say" tweet that should have been used instead of "U shud try finding the worst thing that you could drink n kill urself"