Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Biggest Reasons Why Steelers Pass Defense Will Improve In 2012 And Beyond

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You don't think against our defense that the opponents have a pretty good idea that either Woodley or Harrison is rushing. It's usually pretyy obvious to eve a casual observer which one of them is going which is why it wasn't working last year. LeBeau has been far from unpredictable. How often is Timmons turned loose to go on a blitz up the middle. How often do we see corner blitzes throughout the season. Those use to be what made LeBeau great but now many times he seems to be afraid to go after the QB with all his assets. It's almost like he coaching more not to let something bad happen versus making something good happen.
    I completely agree. I think Lebeau relies way to much on Polamalu's play making ability. Instead of using corner blitzes and inside blitzes like we should to make turnovers, it's like everyone is waiting for Polamalu to make the big play.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Position battles

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 20, 2012
    posted by Dale Lolley

I did a radio spot with Greg Linelli today and he asked me about which position battle for the Steelers I am most looking forward to seeing - or at least something along those lines.

To me, I feel the cornerback position will be the most interesting.

Currently, Keenan Lewis is holding down the starting spot opposite Ike Taylor, with second-year players Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen pushing.

One of those three will also serve as the slot corner as well. Brown seems best suited for that position, but Allen's athleticism is hard to deny.

Lewis, however, played very well last season as the third corner and has much more experience than the other two.

Unless Dick LeBeau can come up with a way to get all three corners young corners on the field at the same time, somebody is going to be disappointed.

What position battle are you looking forward to?

@ Speaking of Linelli, he has long been one of the underrated and underutilized radio hosts in the Pittsburgh market.

Soon, he won't be.

Greg is moving on to greener pastures. Good luck to him.

[URL]http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Position battles

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 20, 2012
    posted by Dale Lolley

I did a radio spot with Greg Linelli today and he asked me about which position battle for the Steelers I am most looking forward to seeing - or at least something along those lines.

To me, I feel the cornerback position will be the most interesting.

Currently, Keenan Lewis is holding down the starting spot opposite Ike Taylor, with second-year players Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen pushing.

One of those three will also serve as the slot corner as well. Brown seems best suited for that position, but Allen's athleticism is hard to deny.

Lewis, however, played very well last season as the third corner and has much more experience than the other two.

Unless Dick LeBeau can come up with a way to get all three corners young corners on the field at the same time, somebody is going to be disappointed.

What position battle are you looking forward to?

@ Speaking of Linelli, he has long been one of the underrated and underutilized radio hosts in the Pittsburgh market.

Soon, he won't be.

Greg is moving on to greener pastures. Good luck to him.

[URL]http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/[/URL]

I may be guilty of misremembering but when exactly did Keenan Lewis play last year the way this article intimates? I didn't see anything from him that makes me comfortable that he is a quality starting CB. He couldn't even beat out Gay who is mediocre on a good day.

I'd rather go with Brown or Allen, especially Brown who seems to have a nose for the ball. But LeBeau will likely go with the one who has been around the longest.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You don't think against our defense that the opponents have a pretty good idea that either Woodley or Harrison is rushing. It's usually pretyy obvious to eve a casual observer which one of them is going which is why it wasn't working last year.
    Tell that to Kurt Warner.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Tell that to Kurt Warner.
    Don't recall him having any issues in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl. He seemed to have it figured out pretty well. Heck even Tebow had it figured out last year in the playoffs and he is reputed to be terrible reading defenses.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Don't recall him having any issues in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl.
    Until that last drive...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I may be guilty of misremembering but when exactly did Keenan Lewis play last year the way this article intimates? I didn't see anything from him that makes me comfortable that he is a quality starting CB. He couldn't even beat out Gay who is mediocre on a good day.

I'd rather go with Brown or Allen, especially Brown who seems to have a nose for the ball. But LeBeau will likely go with the one who has been around the longest.
    When the nickle package came on the field Keenan would take the outside and Gay would move over and cover the slot. Lewis was okay last year ... definitely better than what we've seen from him previously.

Given our lack of turnovers last year I'd like them to take a long look at the guy (I can't remember his name) who had the 3 picks in the mini-camp. I don't care if the guys is a first rounder, last rounder or a walk on ... if he can play put him on the field.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Given our lack of turnovers last year I'd like them to take a long look at the guy (I can't remember his name) who had the 3 picks in the mini-camp. I don't care if the guys is a first rounder, last rounder or a walk on ... if he can play put him on the field.
    Terry Carter from Louisiana-Tech
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't expect much from Steelers CB. steelers don't have CB like Revis or Asamadi (sp chk). Steelers have couple of first Rd players on D-line. I think its time Dick Lebeau start allowing D-line to collapse the pocket and get to QB. Create havoc upfront and your secondary will look fine.

Steelers D strength is their LB corp but i am worried about them too. Harrison is having a knee injury. Woodley always start slow. Jason Worilds is an unknown.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Asamadi (sp chk)
    You combined his first and last names...Nnamdi Asomugha.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.