Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with the RB situation??

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What to do with the RB situation??

We all know that Isaac Redman will start the season as the lead dog in the backfield and that Mendy will probably start the season on the PUP list but my question is what do you think will happen besides those two?? There is a lot of players in the race that can and might contribute. You have Jonathan Dwyer and John Clay who to me are pretty much the same guy. Each has their own qualities here and there but overall they are pretty comparable. You have Baron Batch who was a camp sensation last season and has decent size and speed, he could again impress and provide a good quality 3rd down back to replace Mewelde. Then we drafted Chris Rainey who could bring an explosiveness to the Steelers backfield that we have not witnessed in a long time, plus he provides the ability to split out and offer different options. So who do we keep?? How many do we keep?? I think four probably make it out of camp with Mendy on the PUP list so a decision will have to be made again in week 6. Precamp......I'm going like this:

Redman - obviously the lead guy to start the season and may possibly top 1000 yards depending on Mendy.
    Dwyer - had some impressive moments last season in the short time he played. Gives the team a brawler.
    Batch - a possible upgrade from MM as the 3rd down back with improved speed and quality blocking abilities.
    Rainey - a guy that could contribute to the Steelers more in year one than most of us think with his versatility.

Clay is the odd man out to me right now but I've obviously not seen any of these guys in action since January. I would say that the last spot comes down to him and Dwyer and I feel Dwyer offers more speed than Clay so he is my choice. Let me know how you guys look at it???
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

a lot of course depends on whether or not Mendy starts the season on the PUP list for the first 6 games.

assuming that he does, I agree with your assessment of how things will unfold with Rainey serving as the #4 RB, #6 WR and as a KR/PR and with John Clay the odd man out.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

RBs is an easier position to come in and contribute immediately. Plug in anyone really. No reason we couldn't roll with Rainey if we had to.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    RBs is an easier position to come in and contribute immediately. Plug in anyone really. No reason we couldn't roll with Rainey if we had to.
    Except that he will most assuredly be knocked out of commision if forced to carry a bulk of the load.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    We all know that Isaac Redman will start the season as the lead dog in the backfield and that Mendy will probably start the season on the PUP list but my question is what do you think will happen besides those two?? There is a lot of players in the race that can and might contribute. You have Jonathan Dwyer and John Clay who to me are pretty much the same guy. Each has their own qualities here and there but overall they are pretty comparable. You have Baron Batch who was a camp sensation last season and has decent size and speed, he could again impress and provide a good quality 3rd down back to replace Mewelde. Then we drafted Chris Rainey who could bring an explosiveness to the Steelers backfield that we have not witnessed in a long time, plus he provides the ability to split out and offer different options. So who do we keep?? How many do we keep?? I think four probably make it out of camp with Mendy on the PUP list so a decision will have to be made again in week 6. Precamp......I'm going like this:

Redman - obviously the lead guy to start the season and may possibly top 1000 yards depending on Mendy.
    Dwyer - had some impressive moments last season in the short time he played. Gives the team a brawler.
    Batch - a possible upgrade from MM as the 3rd down back with improved speed and quality blocking abilities.
    Rainey - a guy that could contribute to the Steelers more in year one than most of us think with his versatility.

Clay is the odd man out to me right now but I've obviously not seen any of these guys in action since January. I would say that the last spot comes down to him and Dwyer and I feel Dwyer offers more speed than Clay so he is my choice. Let me know how you guys look at it???
    I think there is still a way to keep Clay if we view Rainey as the #5 WR/KR/RB. Rainey's versatility actually could allow us to keep an extra guy.

Until Mendy is healthy I have concerns at RB other than Redman.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think there is still a way to keep Clay if we view Rainey as the #5 WR/KR/RB. Rainey's versatility actually could allow us to keep an extra guy.

Until Mendy is healthy I have concerns at RB other than Redman.
    I have concerns as well!!! If something were to happen to Redman then we would be in a little bit of trouble just because we would have so little experience. I think Dwyer could help out but he needs to show up in shape and be ready to contribute and hopefully he can stay healthy. I never like when RB's have foot problems!!!
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I feel about as good about the RB's as you can with a baller like Mendy out. There are a lot of tools with these guys. If they can pass protect and provide enough of a running threat to effectuate the passing game we're all good.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't seem to be nearly as confident as a lot of you with the ability of Dwyer. I know he had the big game last year but the 2 runs that gave him the big game had holes bigger than any I had seen the team open in a long time. The other runs he had were *blah*. He seemed to go down real easy most of the time and even stopping his run when he saw defenders in the way. I just don't think Dwyer has shown he is an NFL caliber back yet. Hopefully he improves.

I haven't seen enough of Clay to have an opinion on him although I do like the effort he has shown on his few carries.

I have high hopes for Batch and Rainey but that is based on comments from OTA's and TC. Its not something I feel comfortable about.

That leaves Redman whom I do have a lot of confidence in based on past performance. I just hope he can carry the load with the 2 rookies providing help (I think Batch is still considered a rookie).
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I feel about as good about the RB's as you can with a baller like Mendy out. There are a lot of tools with these guys. If they can pass protect and provide enough of a running threat to effectuate the passing game we're all good.
    +1

Use RBs as pass catching threat and it will open up the lanes for them to run.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

I would take Clay over Dwyer, just because it seems that Dwyer lacks that sizzle, and Clay may still have a chance to bring that.

Either way as far as I am concerned. When I talk with Tomlin next week I'll let him know my thoughts.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]