Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don't count out Ramon Foster

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm sure that was tongue in cheek. Legursky has as much chance taking over for Pouncey as I do which is 0%.
    I was thinking it's basically the same premise as this article. Silly.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

ramon foster has always been vilified from the "experts" on here for one reason or another. One, in particular, because he beat out his pet draft pick kraig urbik from the 1st day of training camp that year.

the reality is that foster is a solid member of the OL and always gives great effort. Plays above his pay grade and allows valuable dollars to be spent elsewhere. Some people seem to expect 1st rounders at every position, I suppose. He has also been much more consistent than legursky who seems to get much love here for reasons I have yet to see.

happy to have been a supporter of foster since day 1. Do your thing kid.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    ramon foster has always been vilified from the "experts" on here for one reason or another. One, in particular, because he beat out his pet draft pick kraig urbik from the 1st day of training camp that year.

the reality is that foster is a solid member of the OL and always gives great effort. Plays above his pay grade and allows valuable dollars to be spent elsewhere. Some people seem to expect 1st rounders at every position, I suppose. He has also been much more consistent than legursky who seems to get much love here for reasons I have yet to see.

happy to have been a supporter of foster since day 1. Do your thing kid.
    Well...now we do have a 1st Rounder at his position. Obviously the Front Office thought that was necessary. Wouldn't you agree? But don't bother because it will just turn into another rant about the "man love" you have for UDFAs and a distain of anyone who doesn't share your affection.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

use flawed logic much?

of course DD was the obvious pick as many had him as a top 10 player regardless of position.

I don't have man love for UDFAs, but I do watch the games and can tell when a guy is performing above his draft stock as well as performing consistently well. Obviously the guys at pro football focus agree as they rated him 2nd best on the steelers OL behind a guy who only played 1 game. That pretty much means he was the most consistent player on the OL, if you didn't grasp it, or your disdain for this kid clouds your reading comprehension ability.

care to address that?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I dont understand putting decastro at rg.
    The simplistic Arians running game only ever called for the LG to pull to his right.

The more-well-rounded Haley will allow for the RG to pull to his left as well (imagine that!), so we won't be a predictable, one-dimensional rushing offense anymore.

Foster was adequate, but he does not have the athleticism to be an effective pulling guard.

Guys like Foster and Legursky and Essex have value as versatile backups (particularly when our OL seems to get hurt more than most), but as starters, none of them are anymore more than average (if that).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Foster started 23 out of 26 games...the Steelers won a lot of those...

While DeCastro has more talent, Foster has a lot of value for this team...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Foster started 23 out of 26 games...the Steelers won a lot of those...

While DeCastro has more talent, Foster has a lot of value for this team...
    A few seasons ago, our starting interior line consisted of Chris Kemoeatu, Justin Hartwig, and Darnell Stapleton...we won a lot of games with those guys, including Super Bowl XLIII. Those guys had so little value, though, that no other team has signed any of them since we let them go.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Um, Stapleton and Hartwig are retired. Someone will sign Kemo at some point.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Um, Stapleton and Hartwig are retired. Someone will sign Kemo at some point.
    When we cut ties with Stapleton, he was only 24 years old (same age as Marcus Gilbert and rookie Chris Rainey are now).

When we cut ties with Hartwig, he was only 31 years old (same age as Troy Polamalu is now).

They were each on our roster for one more season after starting in SBXLIII before we sent them packing, and neither signed anywhere again after that.

When we cut ties with Kemoeatu he was only 29 years old (same age as Willie Colon and Heath Miller are now).

Training camps open at the end of next month, and he's still without a team. If he was in high demand, someone would have brought him in prior to OTA's and minicamps. His only shot of getting invited to a camp at this point would be if a team had a rash of injuries at guard.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Staple was injured...I think that he would have been on the team for a few more years had that not happened...

Hartwig was washed up...

We'll see about Kemo, but his knee condition makes his signing iffy...