Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Don't count out Ramon Foster

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    When we cut ties with Stapleton, he was only 24 years old (same age as Marcus Gilbert and rookie Chris Rainey are now).

When we cut ties with Hartwig, he was only 31 years old (same age as Troy Polamalu is now).

They were each on our roster for one more season after starting in SBXLIII before we sent them packing, and neither signed anywhere again after that.

When we cut ties with Kemoeatu he was only 29 years old (same age as Willie Colon and Heath Miller are now).

Training camps open at the end of next month, and he's still without a team. If he was in high demand, someone would have brought him in prior to OTA's and minicamps. His only shot of getting invited to a camp at this point would be if a team had a rash of injuries at guard.
    As you said no one wants them. Stapleton and Hartings were let go because they were nothing more than mediocre and really started the mediocre interior line play that troubled us for the past several years. They were cut and the rest of the NFL wasn't interested that is why they retired. Kemo never developed into what he was capable of and had to be cut.

Hopefully with DeCastro and Colon at Guard teaming with Pouncey we can once again see dominant interior line play similar to when we had Faneca, Hartings and Simmons (pre-diabetes). We have had mediocre players in there for way to many years to the point we actually thought they were OK.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Again, the diabetes had nothing to do with Simmons fall off as a OG.. Just get that out of your minds regarding the disease.... It was purely coincidental, not to mention he had other injuries as well.. Again, we'll see what transpires in training camp.. I would be willing to bet this OL will be reshuffled again at some point...
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    I just don't understand the love affair with Colon.
    Agreed.
    Colon tends to irritate me nowadays more than anything else. Even his remarks of support for Foster feel a bit patronizing to me... (why is he entitled to a starting position and not Foster?)

I agree with someone else who compared Foster to Starks in appreciation. It's a legit comparison. I've been a quiet fan of Foster since he won the job in competition with Urbik. But that being said, DeCastro will be playing. Soon.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sean Kugler Talks Offensive Line Post Minicamp

Monday, June 18th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler joined 93.7 The Fan Monday morning to talk about the offensive line as the team heads next towards training camp after finishing up mini-camp last week. Below are some of the better talking points from the interview if you do not have the time to listen to it.

Re: The intelligence of David DeCastro coming into the NFL?

Kugler: Well he is an extremely intelligent kid. He just graduated yesterday in four years from Stanford with management in science engineering degree, which is really amazing in itself. And you can tell just even being in here for the mini-camp, rarely made mistakes, was on point in the meetings and those types things, so I think the learning aspect for him is going to come pretty easily, of course there's always the physical aspect, which is a shock for any player coming out of college.

Re: The toughest position on the offensive line from college to pros?

Kugler: Probably the two toughest would be left tackle, just because of the athletes you'll be facing as pass rushers, but mentally it has to be center and Maurkice made that transition two years ago, and just because of the fact that they have to set all of the line blocking schemes, make all of the calls and the defensive identification. So I would say center is the hardest probably mentally and physically would be left tackle.

Re: Health of Maurkice Pouncey this year?

Kugler: Well Maurkice is the one that attacked that. This off-season, and I told him the other day before we left camp, was his best off-season since he's been here. He looks outstanding. He's moving around great. He's healthy. I can't wait to watch Maurkice Pouncey play this year, because I know he's healthy and I know what he is capable of when he is healthy and he's excited as well. So he did have two major injuries, he's had surgery to correct it. I think last year really hurt him because he wasn't around to be able to rehab with our doctors and training staff, and it's different when you do it on your own. And this year he was, he was here every day and I'm excited for Maurkice Pouncey.

Re: Mike Adams, his good feet and who he is?

Kugler: Yeah, Mike does have really good feet and he moves well. Again it's going to be Mike transitioning to the physical aspect of the NFL. Personally I can't make an evaluation on him until I see him against a James Harrison or a LaMarr Woodley, because those are the top guys that he's going to be going against, and if he can block those cats, he'll have a good chance. So we'll get a quick evaluation on Mike Adams from probably day one to the second we put on pads, but he did an outstanding job as well with the mental aspect, communicating long distance and he came in and you can tell he put the time and effort in to learn the offense.

Re: How quickly he wants the starting five set on the line.

Kugler: As soon as they're ready. Those guys are going to have to earn their jobs and I have all the respect in the world for the Ramon Fosters and the Doug Legurskys and those type guys. I know those guys aren't going to willingly give up their job. It's not in their make-up and all that makes for is better competition. So whoever the starting five are that are out there, of course you want to do that as early as possible and get those guys gelling together and ideally have them play through the entire season. Is that a reality? Maybe not, but that's something that we're striving to do.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/sean_kugler_talks_offensive_line_post_minicamp/11038202[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Guarding his position

August 7, 2012
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

No one on the Steelers this side of Max Starks has won and lost starting jobs more often than Ramon Foster.

He started four games because of injuries as an undrafted rookie in 2009. He won the starting job at right guard in the middle of the '10 season. He lost it to Doug Legursky to open last season. He got it back in the middle of last season.

And coming into this one, there were many assumptions that Foster again would lose his starting job at right guard because of the hulking presence of first-round draft choice David DeCastro, who played right guard at Stanford.

Thursday night, when the Steelers open the preseason, it's probable that, indeed, the rookie will start at right guard because Foster had to shift to left guard when Willie Colon's ankle was injured Friday night. If Colon cannot go, that's the way they will line up.

But one thing is certain, DeCastro has not won the job at right guard over Foster, and Foster has been determined to keep it that way.

"You don't want to just passively give away your starting role," Foster said. "This is a world championship team, you want to be a guy starting on that team. We're both going to get better no matter who wins the job. We'll just handle that at the end of camp.

"Is there a sense of urgency? Definitely. I think it's there for Dave, too."

DeCastro has struggled through the first 10 days of his first pro training camp, and Foster has done nothing but improve. They are worlds apart in their resumes, Foster having played tackle at Tennessee and gone undrafted. Nevertheless, Foster also has turned mentor to the guy who wants his job.

"We have good conversations," Foster said. "If there's a coaching point I can give him, I'll definitely give it to him. If he starts, I want him to know as much if not more than I do."

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/mundy-expands-his-safety-net-role-647933/#ixzz22tsW4p5R[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

OL Ramon Foster will make his first professional start at RT Sunday against the Colts. Last started game at tackle as Sr at Tenn.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Agreed.
    Colon tends to irritate me nowadays more than anything else. Even his remarks of support for Foster feel a bit patronizing to me... (why is he entitled to a starting position and not Foster?)

I agree with someone else who compared Foster to Starks in appreciation. It's a legit comparison. I've been a quiet fan of Foster since he won the job in competition with Urbik. But that being said, DeCastro will be playing. Soon.
    You are in the minority. When Colon was a starting right tackle, multiple websites and scouts had him ranked in the top 5-10 in the league.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

pretty impressive that foster is willing to mentor the guy who will take his spot. You see that from a lot of older players, but foster is pretty young to take that approach.

have been pulling for this kid since day 1, seems like a great guy to have on the 53.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    pretty impressive that foster is willing to mentor the guy who will take his spot. You see that from a lot of older players, but foster is pretty young to take that approach.

have been pulling for this kid since day 1, seems like a great guy to have on the 53.
    If he can play well enough at tackle, he'll be on the 53, possibly for a few years...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If he can play well enough at tackle, he'll be on the 53, possibly for a few years...
    It is what Foster is good for...a back-up with the flexibility to play multiple positions and spot start on occasion. As long as he stays in that roole he is valuable to the team. It is when he has to play every game that we have a problem.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"