Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger remains underrated on 'Top 100'

Ben Roethlisberger remains underrated on 'Top 100'

By Gregg Rosenthal
    June 14, 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a two-time Super Bowl champion. Practically every game he plays is on national television. And yet he's still underrated.

Roethlisberger came in at No. 30 on NFL Network's "Top 100: Players of 2012" rankings, which is up 11 spots from 2011. He's the fourth-ranked quarterback on the list, which would make it seem like he's plenty respected.

And yet he was behind running backs Frank Gore, Arian Foster and Ray Rice on this installment of the show alone. We love that trio, but all running backs are replaceable. Roethlisberger was behind Clay Matthews during an off year. He's behind teammates James Harrison and Troy Polamalu. Please.

If you were starting a team from scratch, would you consider taking any of those players before Roethlisberger? Big Ben is still improving. Harrison and Polamalu are declining.

There is a misperception about Roethlisberger's 2011 campaign. He was not the reason that Pittsburgh fell short. In fact, we'd argue he took big-time steps as a decision-maker and quarterback compared to his excellent 2010 season, which ended in a Super Bowl shootout loss.

Now 30 years old, Big Ben is at that sweet spot where his mental approach to the game has improved while his physical skills have yet to wane. Aaron Rodgers is there. Tom Brady and Drew Brees are already past it.

We're not saying Roethlisberger should be ranked ahead of those three players, but he deserves to be in the discussion. He deserves to be a lot higher than No. 30.

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829ce93f/article/ben-roethlisberger-remains-underrated-on-latest-top-100"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...latest-top-100[/URL]

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Absolute rubbish. Gronkowski and Matthews ahead of JH and Ben is a crime of intergalactic proportions. NFL Network blows sometimes. ....and they blew this one big time.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The top 100 is a popularity contest equivalent to high school yearbook awards. Best looking, class clown, most likely to succeed, etc. The players pick the "winners". A good example is Vick at 71 (I think??). Love him or hate him, you can't tell me that Vick is the 71st best player in the league. Ben seems to be respected throughout the league for his tough play and success. But there's that whole douche bag, alleged rapist thing still hanging over his head. Without the rep, Ben would be much higher (lower number - you know what I mean ).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    The top 100 is a popularity contest equivalent to high school yearbook awards. Best looking, class clown, most likely to succeed, etc. The players pick the "winners". A good example is Vick at 71 (I think??). Love him or hate him, you can't tell me that Vick is the 71st best player in the league. Ben seems to be respected throughout the league for his tough play and success. But there's that whole douche bag, alleged rapist thing still hanging over his head. Without the rep, Ben would be much higher (lower number - you know what I mean ).
    The Gronkowski pick is a perfect example of this. The guy is only above average with anyone but Brady throwing to him all the time. Matthews is a stretch as well considering he was on one of the league's worst defensive units last season.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Just win some more SuperBowls. Who cares if anyone likes you or not. Winning is the only thing that matters.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    The Gronkowski pick is a perfect example of this. The guy is only above average with anyone but Brady throwing to him all the time. Matthews is a stretch as well considering he was on one of the league's worst defensive units last season.
    I don't see how you say that about a TE who just followed up a 10 TD rookie season with a sophomore campaign in which he caught 90 balls for over 1300 yards and 17 TDs. Brady or no Brady, those are epic numbers for a TE and flat out the best season in NFL history a TE has ever had.

Now Clay Matthews and his 50 tackles and 6 sacks last year? That's overrated.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    I agree with Matthews but Gronk? No way.. every player on the list could get the "if they had a different _______ they would be average"

Gronk is a beast and you can't blame the QB, scheme or team for his production...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I agree with Matthews but Gronk? No way.. every player on the list could get the "if they had a different _______ they would be average"

Gronk is a beast and you can't blame the QB, scheme or team for his production...
    Yeah, Gronkowski is an absolute monster. Can't dispute his ranking.

Legend

User Info Menu

#30? Should be scandalous. Even if you don't like Ben personally, how can you not list him as one of the top 10 players? He's easily #1 on the Steelers, and that's no disrespect to Polamalu or Harrison.

Legend

User Info Menu

21 tds and 14 picks...............eh, pretty pedestrian to me.
    it was based on last years perfromance, right?
    30 seems a little high to me