Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 9 Linebackers on the Final Roster?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Do we really know they had a 1st Round grade on Lee and that they weren't worried about his knee injury or did some reporter say that?
    Gerry Dulac is very credible, he's not just going to make something like that up. also, the Steelers would not have had a first round grade on Sean Lee if they were that concerned about his previous knee injury.

Steelers' Worilds man of his word

March 28, 2012
    By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jason Worilds had planned on spending the second night of the National Football League draft watching television and doing pushups, a reminder of the way he first started working out to build himself into a 6-foot-2, 262-pound defensive terror -- just doing pushups.

But when his name was called in the second round with the 52nd overall pick by the Steelers, it was a reminder and a salute to his mom, Sandra, who did everything for the youngest of her two sons, including being his prom date.

"We've always been close," Sandra Worilds said. "I always tried to instill in him to be positive and be respectful. I told him as long as you remain the person you are and respect people, they will respect you. Jason is a really good example of that."

Three years ago, the outside linebacker from Virginia Tech was known as Jason Adjepong, which was the legal name of his father. But, to honor his mom, he went to a Virginia courthouse and legally reclaimed the name -- Worilds (pronounced "worlds") -- he was given at birth before his father switched it.

That way, whenever his name was called on television or at the stadium -- and even during the NFL draft -- it would be a tribute to Sandra Worilds, who spent a lot of her time working in a hospital and at several private nursing jobs in Rahway, N.J., to help raise her sons.

"Whenever my name was called, I wanted it to say 'Worilds,' " he said Thursday, making his way through the Newark Airport to come to Pittsburgh for the three-day rookie minicamp that begins today. "That way it would honor my mom.

"I love my mom, I love the values she gave me. She did a lot for me. Everything I do in my life is for her."

That Worilds name was called by the Steelers was something of a surprise.

Penn State linebacker Sean Lee, who went to Upper St. Clair High School, appeared to be the player the Steelers were targeting in the second round after selecting Florida center Maurkice Pouncey with the 18th overall pick. They had a first-round grade on Lee and thought he fit the way they played better than any linebacker in the draft.

But, the Steelers did not think Lee would be available when it came their turn.

When he was, it seemed like an obvious choice. But coach Mike Tomlin really liked Worilds, an undersized defensive end in college who fit nicely as a disruptive outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense -- something the Steelers were lacking behind James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

What's more, the return of Larry Foote in free agency gave the Steelers four inside linebackers, along with James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons and Keyaron Fox. Even though Farrior is 35, the need for depth was more dire on the outside, not inside.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-worilds-man-of-his-word-244695/#ixzz1yAMN3cHm[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

If the Steelers didn't pick Sean Lee because they liked Worilds and didn't think Lee would be available when it came their turn, then why did they pick DeCastro this year? Wouldn't they have followed the same Worilds pattern and settled for Dont'a Hightower instead of the guy they didn't think would be there like DeCastro? They made it abundantly clear in post-draft conferences that they didn't think DeCastro would be available when it came their turn, but they took less than a minute to make their selection when DeCastro fell to them.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If the Steelers didn't pick Sean Lee because they liked Worilds and didn't think Lee would be available when it came their turn, then why did they pick DeCastro this year? Wouldn't they have followed the same Worilds pattern and settled for Dont'a Hightower instead of the guy they didn't think would be there like DeCastro? They made it abundantly clear in post-draft conferences that they didn't think DeCastro would be available when it came their turn, but they took less than a minute to make their selection when DeCastro fell to them.

most likely all the people in the war room were in agreement on the selection of DeCastro, whereas Tomlin was supposedly in love with Worilds and wanted to choose him over the higher ranked Sean Lee.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin says no to Lee, Overrules War Room on Second Rounder

April 30th, 2010

Did anyone read the article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette this morning? I did and now I have even more questions about the Steelers’ wretched second day.

The Steelers drafted Jason Worilds in the second round. We all know that already, and many of us are underwhelmed by it. But what we didn’t know was that the Steelers War Room had a first round grade on Sean Lee ILB Penn State who just happened to be available with our selection. The room was sold on Lee as the pick and were ready to draft him but were told no at the last moment by Mike Tomlin. He preferred Worilds, who I said before had no better then fourth round grade on my board.

Even if the Steelers had a second round grade on Worilds, he was still not playing a position of need. James Farrior is on his last leg. Lee could have spent this year learning behind Farrior, one of the best MLBs we have ever had, on how to play the position. Some people may not agree with my opinion of Farrior. But when you consider Farrior’s’ size (225 on a good day after a heavy lunch) in today’s game, his ability to shed blocks, get in the hole, and make as many tackles as he does makes him one of the best MLBs to ever put on the pads in Pittsburgh.

This makes zero sense to me. I don’t care who else was on your board if you have a guy in the second half of the second round with a first round grade: YOU TAKE HIM. PERIOD! Especially at a position of need. Worilds may turn out to be great, but he may not play for another 3 or so years whereas Lee would be starting in 2011. If someone would like to explain the logic in that to me please do, because I don’t get it. This is not the first time we have heard of this either. I realize Mike Tomlin is the coach and he gets a say, but when you are outnumbered by the whole room, something is wrong. Sometimes, you need to get off your high horse and let the scouts decide.

That is why they were hired.

[URL]http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2010/04/30/tomlin-says-no-to-lee-overrules-war-room-on-second-rounder/[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    most likely all the people in the war room were in agreement on the selection of DeCastro, whereas Tomlin was supposedly in love with Worilds and wanted to choose him over the higher ranked Sean Lee.
    I doubt Tomlin was "in love" with Worilds but probably saw a player who he thought had a higher upside at a position of greater need than adding a fifth Inside LB to the roster. Even with Worilds at OLB we are still dangerously thin at OLB and IMO there has to be serious concerns about Harrison's health and ability to play 16 games. Agree or not, IMO Worilds did well last year in his spot time playing and IMO he does have the upside that Tomlin saw.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I doubt Tomlin was "in love" with Worilds but probably saw a player who he thought had a higher upside at a position of greater need than adding a fifth Inside LB to the roster. Even with Worilds at OLB we are still dangerously thin at OLB and IMO there has to be serious concerns about Harrison's health and ability to play 16 games. Agree or not, IMO Worilds did well last year in his spot time playing and IMO he does have the upside that Tomlin saw.
    Agreed. I'm interested to see what Worilds brings this year after a couple years in and a full regimen of off-season activities. As of now, I have no reason to complain about his being chosen.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Tomlin says no to Lee, Overrules War Room on Second Rounder

April 30th, 2010

Did anyone read the article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette this morning? I did and now I have even more questions about the Steelers’ wretched second day.

The Steelers drafted Jason Worilds in the second round. We all know that already, and many of us are underwhelmed by it. But what we didn’t know was that the Steelers War Room had a first round grade on Sean Lee ILB Penn State who just happened to be available with our selection. The room was sold on Lee as the pick and were ready to draft him but were told no at the last moment by Mike Tomlin. He preferred Worilds, who I said before had no better then fourth round grade on my board.

Even if the Steelers had a second round grade on Worilds, he was still not playing a position of need. James Farrior is on his last leg. Lee could have spent this year learning behind Farrior, one of the best MLBs we have ever had, on how to play the position. Some people may not agree with my opinion of Farrior. But when you consider Farrior’s’ size (225 on a good day after a heavy lunch) in today’s game, his ability to shed blocks, get in the hole, and make as many tackles as he does makes him one of the best MLBs to ever put on the pads in Pittsburgh.

This makes zero sense to me. I don’t care who else was on your board if you have a guy in the second half of the second round with a first round grade: YOU TAKE HIM. PERIOD! Especially at a position of need. Worilds may turn out to be great, but he may not play for another 3 or so years whereas Lee would be starting in 2011. If someone would like to explain the logic in that to me please do, because I don’t get it. This is not the first time we have heard of this either. I realize Mike Tomlin is the coach and he gets a say, but when you are outnumbered by the whole room, something is wrong. Sometimes, you need to get off your high horse and let the scouts decide.

That is why they were hired.

[URL]http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2010/04/30/tomlin-says-no-to-lee-overrules-war-room-on-second-rounder/[/URL]
    But I thought Colbert had the final say?

Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Worilds was a beast in college, has a great build for the position, is athletic & has been given time to develop.

Chadman thought Worilds was actually pretty good last year on a banged-up defense. Ok, he didn't dominate, but he didn't stand out as the weak link either. Some guys are ready to go early. Some take a little longer. Going to trust the coaches on this one, as they seem to be right more often than not.

Sean Lee is kind of like Pozslusny was- a very solid footballer. But being 'solid' is perhaps the biggest weakness- neither guy looks like they will ever be 'special'. It's much the same argument we've had with Timmons vs Poz...Poz was further along in his development, but the ceiling on Timmons was much higher. Going to say that Worilds vs Lee could be a very similar situation.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Worilds was a beast in college, has a great build for the position, is athletic & has been given time to develop.

Chadman thought Worilds was actually pretty good last year on a banged-up defense. Ok, he didn't dominate, but he didn't stand out as the weak link either. Some guys are ready to go early. Some take a little longer. Going to trust the coaches on this one, as they seem to be right more often than not.

Sean Lee is kind of like Pozslusny was- a very solid footballer. But being 'solid' is perhaps the biggest weakness- neither guy looks like they will ever be 'special'. It's much the same argument we've had with Timmons vs Poz...Poz was further along in his development, but the ceiling on Timmons was much higher. Going to say that Worilds vs Lee could be a very similar situation.
    Totally agree except I would add that right now it is preety even between them so it is only logical to take the player with the higher potential ceiling. The only thing that make the Lee vs Worilds lean towards Lee is that Leee is a starter but think about who he has had to compete against...no one. Then look who is ahead of Worilds and the philosophy of the DC regarding playing guys early in their careers.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post

Worilds was pretty good last year. He was something like third on the team in pressures despite limited snaps. He needs to turn some of those pressures into sacks, but he wasn't as bad as he was made out to be.

I still think it is an interesting question - would you prefer Lee / Timmons inside, or Worilds as the top backup on the outside, with Foote/Timmons inside and Spence waiting in the wings? If Lee was drafted, I would imagine that the Steelers would have looked elsewhere for a developmental OLB - perhaps the Spence pick, or perhaps somebody in previous years.

I would prefer Lee inside with another project on the outside. The development of Spence and the continued development of Worilds may change that, but going into this season, I'd prefer Lee over Foote as a starting ILB.