Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do We Currently Have the Best Group of WRs in Steelers History?

Rookie

User Info Menu

The '74 group was better 1-2, though IIRC, Swann and Stallworth weren't the 1-2 WRs in '74...

The '79 group was awesomeas well, though Cunningham and Grossman were listed as TEs...

But, 1-4 that '95 group was pretty good...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I'll go with the 1974 group of WRs as being the best ever:

1) John Stallworth
    2) Lynn Swann
    3) Ron Shanklin
    4) Frank Lewis
    +2
    Maybe this current group will get there, but they ain't there yet, IMO.

Backup

User Info Menu

We are looking pretty darn strong at wr, but it's too hard to compare because of the different supporting casts. Take qb alone. What if Ben was throwing to stallworth/lipps/Sweeney/Thompson instead of Malone/Woodley/Campbell in 85 or substituting a rookie bubby for Woodley in 86?

Administrator

User Info Menu

I can't rank this set of WR as the best until they perform clutch in big moments. Ward had clutch moments as did Stallworth and obviously Swann. The biggest clutch play that the current WR set has had is Antonio Brown catching that bomb when it was 3rd and 19 against the Ravens. The "best" in anything make big plays in big time moments. I need to see more from this group.

On a positive note, our WRs are loaded with talent.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Our WR group was pretty impressive in 2009 when Santonio had 79-1248-15.8-5, Hines had 95-1167-12.3-6, and a rookie named Mike Wallace had 39-756-19.4-6 (not to mention that it was Heath's most productive year from a pass catching perspective with 76-789-10.4-6). Of course, there really was no #4 wideout that year (Tyler Grisham, Limas Sweed, and Stefan Logan had 1 catch each), it is difficult to compare against other WR foursomes.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

This group is the best in history of this team when its all said and done.