Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do We Currently Have the Best Group of WRs in Steelers History?

Legend

User Info Menu

Do We Currently Have the Best Group of WRs in Steelers History?

1. Wallace
    2. Brown
    3. Cotchery
    4. Sanders
    5. Rainey/Maze/Clemons/whoever is #5

I know we've had some great WRs and many of these guys are early in their careers. But this corp has the makings of the best ever in Steelers history.

I'm interested in who you like best out of this group? My vote goes to Manny who's gonna emerge this season.

And who's gonna get the #5 spot? I could see Rainey or Maze making a Wes Welker type impact. Clemons might be the most intriguing of the bunch with his size/speed.

It's gonna be a fun year with all these guys likely playing for contracts or for their NFL life.

Legend

User Info Menu

Boy that 1995 group was pretty good from #1-#4. I would give 1995 the nod until Manny can prove he can stay healthy.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Yancey, CJ, Hastings and Mills...

They were really good...

Legend

User Info Menu

Not even CJ...Mills/Yancey/Hastings/Kordell

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Boy that 1995 group was pretty good from #1-#4. I would give 1995 the nod until Manny can prove he can stay healthy.
    I think I have to agree with you here. Even if Sanders stays healthy, I'm pretty sure I would take Yancey over Wallace.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll go with the 1974 group of WRs as being the best ever:

1) John Stallworth
    2) Lynn Swann
    3) Ron Shanklin
    4) Frank Lewis
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Not even CJ...Mills/Yancey/Hastings/Kordell
    I'd say that group was the best to date and the current group is a work in progress. But I'm thinking we're gonna look back at the end of this year and be able to say this current group is better.

The current group has so much more speed. I think Wallace, Brown, and Sanders are capable of being better than any WR from 95. Cotchery's as good as anyone in that group except for Thigpen. And the #5 guy this year is the big question mark.

How good this group can be is probably riding on Sanders' health. But I've seen glimpses that he's capable of being the best of them all if he can get past his foot injury.

Legend

User Info Menu

The 2002 group - Ward, Plaxico, ARE and Terrance Mathis was also pretty good. I'm not a Plaxico fan, but Ward/Plaxico > Wallace/Brown. I would take Sanders/Cothery over ARE/Mathis, but that was a solid group.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    The 2002 group - Ward, Plaxico, ARE and Terrance Mathis was also pretty good. I'm not a Plaxico fan, but Ward/Plaxico > Wallace/Brown. I would take Sanders/Cothery over ARE/Mathis, but that was a solid group.
    I agree... the difference was the red zone. Ward was a beast and all you had to do was throw it around Plax and he would snatch it out of the air. The only problem with Plax was the easy passes... he dropped a few easy ones but he usually caught those passes that I thought were sure in-completions. He was a monster in the Atlanta overtime game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I'll go with the 1974 group of WRs as being the best ever:

1) John Stallworth
    2) Lynn Swann
    3) Ron Shanklin
    4) Frank Lewis
    +1
    I still think Stallworth was the best of all.