Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers under the radar, thankfully

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers under the radar, thankfully

The Steelers are not being mentioned by the media as legit contenders, and I am personally happy about it. If you notice, Pgh does well the seasons they are not mentioned much, and usually do poorly when they are getting attention in the media.

I am not saying it's impossible for the Steelers to win a ring when they are mentioned a lot, but it doesn't seem to help. Most sources are saying that since Pgh lost Mendenhall, have Wallace holding out and are getting old on D, that they are probably going to be 3rd in their own div. I say "poppycock." It is Balt. who lose some key players, Cinci is hardly without holes, and, in my opinion, Pgh is better off without Mendenhall; he just never fully developed and lived up to his physical skills. He still dances around, spins and stutter steps too much and never brakes that last tackle to make a decent play a huge play.

Mark my words, Dwyer is going to end up being the next pro bowl level RB for Pgh. He will prove to be better than RM, as long as he gets enough touches, and I believe he will. And as for Wallace, he will end up showing up, one way or another; it would simply cost him far too many millions to not play this year hoping to score a big contract next year. It will never happen. He will play this year no matter what.

Also, add in the Ben is more mature, being married with a baby, plus, at age 30, most hall of famer QBs had their best years at 30 or older, FACT.

Now, toss in an insanely fast Rainey and a much better OC in Haley over Arians, and this season has all the makings for a good one, with a ring being possible.

Oh, and did I mention an OL that isn't in the bottom of the NFL anymore? That OL is going to be infinitely superior to anything we've had since 2005, the last year our OL was above average.

The media hasn't noticed, and I am all too happy about it, but the Steelers are on the verge to compete for another ring this season. They had the best draft I can remember. All first 5 picks were totally money.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

One reason they are under the radar is that many hack sportwriters still think the Steelers are a run team, and with Mendy out for a long while, they write off the Steelers. They also don't realize other guys that we lost like Ward and Smith didn't really contribute in the last two years anyway. Arm chair sportwriters do this. Us Steeler fans know better. Even someone like John Clayton hasn't written them off, cuz he's not a hack like most others.

OTOH, Wallace is also missing. So maybe they may be right
    Last edited by skyhawk; 08-04-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    One reason they are under the radar is that many hack sportwriters still think the Steelers are a run team, and with Mendy out for a long while, they write off the Steelers. They also don't realize other guys that we lost like Ward and Smith didn't really contribute in the last two years anyway. Arm chair sportwriters do this. Us Steeler fans know better. Even someone like John Clayton hasn't written them off, cuz he's not a hack like most others.

OTOH, Wallace is also missing. So maybe they may be right
    Even without Wallace, this team contends (unless it misses other key players).

We now have a real OC (Arians was the worst), a real OL, a focused, mature Ben and the combination of Brown, Sanders, Cochery, Redman, Dwyer, Rainey, Miller and Pope will still be enough to put enough points on the board.

Legend

User Info Menu

My favorite excuses for why the Steelers supposedly will fade...the same guy who says that we are old also mentions a leadership void after getting rid of James Farrior, Hines Ward, and Aaron Smith.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Predict that the Steelers will not be under the radar in December and January.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Even without Wallace, this team contends (unless it misses other key players).

We now have a real OC (Arians was the worst), a real OL, a focused, mature Ben and the combination of Brown, Sanders, Cochery, Redman, Dwyer, Rainey, Miller and Pope will still be enough to put enough points on the board.
    We shall see. I still say they will have trouble in the red zone and putting up points. You mention those players, but they are mostly (except for Brown and Miller) unproven. Hopefully we can see an improvement. We will see how Ben can play under a new guy and think outside of his comfort zone.

I want to see Heath have his best year ever. He will not be needed as much to stay in and block and can work downfield. Ben is going to love that.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We shall see. I still say they will have trouble in the red zone and putting up points. You mention those players, but they are mostly (except for Brown and Miller) unproven. Hopefully we can see an improvement. We will see how Ben can play under a new guy and think outside of his comfort zone.

I want to see Heath have his best year ever. He will not be needed as much to stay in and block and can work downfield. Ben is going to love that.
    Cochery and Pope are not unproven, in a complete sense. I am predicting Dwyer will have a break out year.

Legend

User Info Menu

In fairness, we do have a lot of question marks.

We're starting the season without Casey, Hoke, and Smitty. We've been without Smitty. But Casey and Hoke are some big shoes to fill. Not sure anyone outside of Pittsburgh faithful know that McClendon is ready to be the next beast on the DLine. At the end of the day, our D has been as good as our 3 linemen, even though they aren't the stars on this defense.

Then you've got questions about Harrison's health. And whatever you want to say about leadership void mattering or not, Farrior was the man on this team even though his on field performance has been sliding. Timmons is an athletic freak. But moving him around. Misusing his talents, he's hot and cold.

In the front 7, the only guys everyone is absolutely confident in are Keisel and Woodley. And probably the 3rd safest player is Larry Foote. Underrated by everyone, but he'll be a steady eddy and make the plays we need him to make.

Then we've got uncertainty at DB. 2 safeties that can't cover. Our #1 CB can't catch. And a question mark at the other corner. Loads of questions on D. And Troy's 30 now and his whole game is predicated on speed. Can he continue to be the superstar that covers up for everyone on D still?

Then on O, we've got no proven WR on the roster. Ward was ineffective last year, but both he and Wallace are gone. Cotchery is probably a #3 WR at best and he's the only proven commodity we've got. Who knows if Brown can't get off the LOS against a top CB. Or if Sanders can stay healthy.

Can Redman avoid fumbling the ball? Can he carry the load for an extended period? If not, we have no other proven commodities.

Our Oline could still be a mess at this point. Is Pouncey's ankles good enough to hold up? Are DD and MA ready to transition to the NFL? Can we live without big Max? Couldn't in the past. And do you really trust Colon to stay healthy after 2 years of missing seasons? And does he handle the switch? About the only lineman I trust 100% is Gilbert.

Can we use Heath in the passing game? or does he have to help the line?

There's a load of fair question marks. And at the end of the day, we might only have 1 or 2 SuperStars left on the roster. Definitely 1 in Ben. But the 2nd is questionable. It used to be Troy and Harrison as the clear other SuperStars on the roster. But has their age caught up with them? The other superstar might be Woodley. Are the young guys ready to step up?

I still think we can do this and win #7 this year.

But it's gonna take a lot from a lot of unproven guys:

Timmons
    Allen
    Hood
    McClendon
    Heyward
    Pouncey
    DD
    Colon
    Adams
    Brown
    Sanders
    Redman
    Rainey
    Batch

A little health from Troy and Harrison.

And the reliable play we expect from Keisel, Ike, Foote, Heath, Ben, Woodley.

And at the end of the day, we just might need Max and Casey back and contributing.

Lots of question marks. I think we have the talent to make it work. Just lots of unknowns at this point and a big transition underway.

Backup

User Info Menu

You can take the exact same players from last year and by just changing the coach, everything changes. This is a TEAM sport. Haley has proven himself to be a more effective coach than BA. The team will score more in the red zone, regardless.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavy View Post
    Haley has proven himself to be a more effective coach than BA. The team will score more in the red zone, regardless.
    too bad Crash isn't still here, he would have had an aneurysm reading that statement.

don't you know that Haley is nothing but a golf coach who never would have gotten the Steelers' OC job if it wasn't for his Daddy?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha