Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Promising RB Baron Batch looking to bounce back

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    What Baron showed in camp last year (and in college), pre-injury, was potential in every aspect of a RB's game ... running, pass receiving, and pass protection, and a strong competitive spirit. I don't think we see all four of those aspects in some of our other RB's, particularly pass protection and receiving. He's big and stong enough to run inside, and has enough speed to go outside.
    The fact that this guy was able to stonewall Deebo as a rook shows something. Yeah, it was just practice. But many of these guys are good to tote the rock but lack in the protection end of things. It's great if he's a weapon that can be depended on to protect as well. It probably helps that he won't have to go up against any better pass rushers in game than what he sees across from him in practice.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Batch's latest painting is of a solitary, shadowy figure standing amidst a heavy rainstorm
    Wonder if he painted that before or after the Steelers drafted Rainey?

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp Competition: RB Baron Batch vs. RB Chris Rainey

by Neal Coolong on Jun 28, 2012

Admittedly, the running backs are in for a "one vs. all" battle, and breaking them out individually is a bit convenient. But given the similar skill sets of both RB Baron Batch and RB Chris Rainey, it's hard not to compare the two.

That's a good thing for each of them.

With starter Isaac Redman clearly established as the starter while RB Rashard Mendenhall rehabs a torn ACL suffered in January, the depth of the Steelers' backfield will be challenged. Neither Batch nor Rainey can boast the same all-around skill set as Mendenhall, but they have excellent speed, good hands and both have as good a chance as any to make this roster.

Rainey could have an advantage going into camp due to his kick return ability - something he did at a high level while at the University of Florida. What the 2012 5th round pick lacks in size he makes up with his speed, but more specifically, he's a decisive player - his cut-backs on kick-offs show purpose and a willingness to take a hit if it means a chance to get outside and get fast.

Batch, a training camp phenom a year ago before an ACL tear of his own derailed the season, has drawn praise already from offensive coordinator Todd Haley. Batch may be behind Rainey in terms of speed, but he's a little bit bigger and has already shown Steelers coach Mike Tomlin he's a willing football player.

Considering Haley had a running back catch at least 40 passes in each of the two and a half seasons in Kansas City, where he was the head coach, it stands to reason having more than one back who can leverage speed with hands to become a multi-purpose weapon.

It's fully possible both of these players make the team in 2012, but if it came down to the two of them, the question would be answered based on what Rainey shows in the return game.

[url]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/28/3122885/pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-competition-baron-batch-chris-rainey-todd-haley[/url]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Batch may be behind Rainey in terms of speed, but he's a little bit bigger and has already shown Steelers coach Mike Tomlin he's a willing football player.
    I wouldn't say that Batch is "a little bit bigger" than Rainey. He's 30 POUNDS bigger, with completely different body types. One is meant to be a responsible 3rd down back (needs to be able to protect his QB via blocking, run draw plays, catch screen passes, and run hard to get to the sticks), while the other is more of a scatback/slot receiver/special teams maven (think Eric Metcalf 2.0).

A difference of 30 lbs. gets you from Danny Hrapmann to Ike Taylor to Rashard Mendenhall to Heath Miller to Brett Keisel to Willie Colon to Alameda Ta'Amu. A difference of 30 lbs. would also get me in shape again, but that's beside the point.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I wouldn't say that Batch is "a little bit bigger" than Rainey. He's 30 POUNDS bigger, with completely different body types. One is meant to be a responsible 3rd down back (needs to be able to protect his QB via blocking, run draw plays, catch screen passes, and run hard to get to the sticks), while the other is more of a scatback/slot receiver/special teams maven (think Eric Metcalf 2.0).

A difference of 30 lbs. gets you from Danny Hrapmann to Ike Taylor to Rashard Mendenhall to Heath Miller to Brett Keisel to Willie Colon to Alameda Ta'Amu. A difference of 30 lbs. would also get me in shape again, but that's beside the point.
    In KC, Haley worked with an offense where Dexter McCluster and Jamaal Charles could co-exist...if Batch and Rainey are two of the best players, the Steelers will find a way to utilize both players...

There is a roster spot for both...last year the Steelers carried 6 WRs, 4 RBs and 3 TEs...

We'll just have to see how it shakes out...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    In KC, Haley worked with an offense where Dexter McCluster and Jamaal Charles could co-exist...if Batch and Rainey are two of the best players, the Steelers will find a way to utilize both players...

There is a roster spot for both...last year the Steelers carried 6 WRs, 4 RBs and 3 TEs...

We'll just have to see how it shakes out...
    I hope they are able to keep Batch and Rainey, because each guy provide a different useful skill set for us and both show promise. I would hate to see us lose one of those guys for a run-of-the-mill schlub type such as Dwyer or Clay. I thought Dwyer was more than that once upon a time, but I've soured on him. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong in Latrobe and display his full promise, because I think he could be an asset if properly motivated (but in the end, I'd rather have a guy who is self-motivated and doesn't need others to push him in order to perform).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I hope they are able to keep Batch and Rainey, because each guy provide a different useful skill set for us and both show promise. I would hate to see us lose one of those guys for a run-of-the-mill schlub type such as Dwyer or Clay. I thought Dwyer was more than that once upon a time, but I've soured on him. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong in Latrobe and display his full promise, because I think he could be an asset if properly motivated (but in the end, I'd rather have a guy who is self-motivated and doesn't need others to push him in order to perform).
    I think 'heart' is often overlooked in today's NFL. We like to talk about numbers because numbers give us comfort in 'measurables'. I want a guy with a passion for the game, wants to play and contribute any way he can. I don't want a Kordell Stewart, who somehow could not see that he could have made his mark as an all-world WR rather than a forgettable NFL QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

I also really hope that they find a way to keep both Batch and Rainey. IMO Clay and Dwyer are interchangable. Get rid of one of them. Unlike you, I am still hopeful that the light will go on for Dwyer. This is his make or break year. We will still have a numbers issue though when Mendy comes back at mid-season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

No hesitation from Batch

Posted by Teresa Varley on July 29, 2012

Running back Baron Batch has waited almost a year to get back to hitting in pads, and after doing it for two days he impressively is right back in the swing of things.

“It felt good,” said Batch. “It felt good to get back out there and start hitting again with the pads on. It’s been roughly a year since I have been in the pads and I have been anxious to get out there and it felt good.”

Batch suffered a season-ending knee injury in training camp last year, bringing his rookie year to a quick halt. When he took the field for the first time on Saturday he said there were some thoughts about contact in the back of his mind, but after the backs-on-backer drill that quickly went away.

“That is probably one of the most physical drills we do in camp,” said Batch. “Being able to do that helps with confidence, getting hit with what I went through.”

Coach Mike Tomlin was pleased with what he saw out of Batch on the first day of hitting.

“I like the fact that there was no hesitation in his play,” said Tomlin. “For a guy that’s coming off a knee injury, I thought he moved with authority and trusted his knee, not only in competition periods but in individual work. You get an opportunity to see those things when they’re working with Coach (Kirby) Wilson as running backs. He’s a sharp young guy and he’s coming back nicely.”

So far Batch has been trying to go through practice without wearing a protective brace or sleeve on his knee.

“One of my goals for coming back off this was to be able to go through OTAs and minicamp and be able to come back out here and not have to wear a brace,” said Batch. “I’ve met those goals and it feels good, and I won’t have to wear a brace.”

[URL]http://blog.steelers.com/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers notebook: Baron Batch showing off physicality

By Mark Kaboly
    Published: Friday, August 3, 2012

• At 5-foot-10, 210 pounds, Baron Batch isn’t the biggest running back on the Steelers’ roster. But the second-year player out of Texas Tech stood tall during the backs-on-backers drill Friday night. Batch won or was even all six times he ran the drill and was physical every time. Batch beat Mortty Ivy, Ryan Baker and smacked the helmet off Adrian Robinson. Also looking good on offense were David Johnson and Jonathan Dwyer.

Lawrence Timmons and Chris Carter stood out for the defense.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2332421-85/steelers-batch-offseason-victorian-drill-practice-rookie-roster-agent-amu[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha