Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Rooney on Wallace: 'He should be here'

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Also, Hines reported to camp before negotiations continued on his contract...he didn't sign and then report afterward..
    Um, Hines held out while having a SIGNED CONTRACT.

I know how the organization feels on the Hines issue. They felt they gave into Hines, and they vowed never to do it again.

I know...

Then, he stopped holding out and renegotiated a new contract...

He didn't get the contract until he came to camp...

Benchwarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Saying that a free agent "should be here" is wrong. He shouldn't say that when all Wallace is doing is exercising right as a free agent per the CBA agreement. What he should say is "I understand the business side of this process, we hope to have Mike back with us soon".

Art II doesn't handle most PLAYER contracts. But he was the reason Bill Cowher quit after 2006.
    I wish we would stop referring to Wallace as a free agent to meet our agendas on this board. The word "restricted" belongs in front of that term. Wallace signed on for that when he entered the league. That portion of the CBA was designed to give that advantage to the teams. So, Wallace is bound by the CBA. He SHOULD be in camp. And, the Steelers do hold the cards. They will win just fine without him. He can either get on board and enjoy the successes or watch them from home.

But, he should be referred to as a " restricted" free agent, because he does not have the luxuries of a free agent

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I know...

Then, he stopped holding out and renegotiated a new contract...

He didn't get the contract until he came to camp...
    They negotiated with him, via communication, BEFORE he walked into Latrobe. First via phone, then he had a face to face with Dan Rooney in private. Which they never do.

And THEN he reported.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    If he signs the tender he looses his leverage. The Steelers can simply tell him we're not talking anymore, go play for the $2.7 you signed for.
    Newsflash: Wallace has no leverage. The Steelers control him this year and next year if they want to. He has nothing. They will not hesitate to proceed without him but the only way he gets a new contract is on the Steelers terms not his. That is how it is done. The organization has dealt with this a hundred times and they have never come out on the short end. They won't this time either.

Wallace is just being a petulant child. All he is doing is not learning the new offense. He is not pressuring the Steelers, can't and never will.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

I guess I don't see why Wallace "should" be there. Unless the team can do a real deal for the man, he needs to just wait it out until the last possible minute. He'll be ready to go in no time when he does show and it'll give the younger guys more reps.

Legend
    Yep. Where was all this venom when Hines held out? It was "Pay the man", even though he was already under contract.

Wake me up when Wallace implies that he has to sell drugs to make his living.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I guess I don't see why Wallace "should" be there. Unless the team can do a real deal for the man, he needs to just wait it out until the last possible minute. He'll be ready to go in no time when he does show and it'll give the younger guys more reps.
    How about doing it because it's his job?! These guys PLAY a game. The key word is game. Personally, I wish all salaries for all professional sports would not exceed 1 mil / year because all of this is getting out of hand. They play a game!

I feel so, so bad for Wallace and all these professional "game" players ..... even if he signs his miserable tender (sarcasm), he'll still get paid over 5 times the salary of the President of the United States. Think about that for a second...

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    How about doing it because it's his job?! These guys PLAY a game. The key word is game. Personally, I wish all salaries for all professional sports would not exceed 1 mil / year because all of this is getting out of hand. They play a game!

I feel so, so bad for Wallace and all these professional "game" players ..... even if he signs his miserable tender (sarcasm), he'll still get paid over 5 times the salary of the President of the United States. Think about that for a second...
    He's worth more than the President, but this isn't a political thread...

It's not his job if he's not under contract. When he signs a contract, then it's his job.

I'm sorry if you have some kind of angst about this, but it's just business.

First of all.... you can be sarcastic about it but he's not worth more than the president. That's just idiotic to say and I hope your joking.

It is his job. Like someone else pointed out, it's part of the CBA. If he doesn't like the CBA, then he can leave professional sports like the rest of the world. Problem is, most of these professional sports players couldn't make it in the real world.