Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Rooney on Wallace: 'He should be here'

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    He has to sign the tender. He can't show up unsigned like DeCastro can.
    So, if he signs the tender, is he then not allowed to continue negotiations?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    So, if he signs the tender, is he then not allowed to continue negotiations?
    If he signs the tender he looses his leverage. The Steelers can simply tell him we're not talking anymore, go play for the $2.7 you signed for.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The Steelers can tell him that anyway...

Or, worse, they could say sign the $2.7 mil or we'll reduce it to 110% of last year...

RFA's don't have a lot of leverage to begin with...I guess I'd try catching some flies with honey...

We know that the Steelers don't blink...

Administrator

User Info Menu

The bottom line is II can say what he wants, when he wants, and doesn't really need to answer to nobody except the other "investors". He's the face of the franchise from a business/ownership perspective. Whether you like it or not, you need to live with it.

And for the record, Wallace should be there. I would be willing to bet he has a 'decent' offer sheet at a minimum. I might go a bit further and say he has a 'fair' offer sheet. If thats the case, and I bet it is, he should be there. You say it's not fair to play "hardball". Wallace wants to play hard ball by not showing up for minicamp when he needs to be there to learn the new offense. The Steelers organization has every right to play hard ball and reduce his tender.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The Steelers can tell him that anyway...
    Then he'll sit at home, report at the last possible time, play for 6 weeks, and either become a UFA or earn top 5 money for 2013.

Wallace holds the cards Slap.

We know that the Steelers don't blink..

They blinked for Hines in 2005, which is why Faneca left, and why this one could get ugly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    The bottom line is II can say what he wants, when he wants, and doesn't really need to answer to nobody except the other "investors". He's the face of the franchise from a business/ownership perspective. Whether you like it or not, you need to live with it.

And for the record, Wallace should be there. I would be willing to bet he has a 'decent' offer sheet at a minimum. I might go a bit further and say he has a 'fair' offer sheet. If thats the case, and I bet it is, he should be there. You say it's not fair to play "hardball". Wallace wants to play hard ball by not showing up for minicamp when he needs to be there to learn the new offense. The Steelers organization has every right to play hard ball and reduce his tender.
    He's a free agent and he has his playbook. Nothing else really matters at this point.

The Steelers had a new OC in 2004 and Plax missed mini-camp. Then he went out and averaged 19 yards a pop when he showed up.

Administrator

User Info Menu

He's a free agent and he has his playbook. Nothing else really matters at this point.

The Steelers had a new OC in 2004 and Plax missed mini-camp. Then he went out and averaged 19 yards a pop when he showed up.
    Reading a playbook is not the same as executing it w/ your teammates on the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Reading a playbook is not the same as executing it w/ your teammates on the field.
    He's a veteran. He'll be fine the first week he and Ben hit the practice field.

Administrator

User Info Menu

He's a veteran. He'll be fine the first week he and Ben hit the practice field.
    Whatever... I'd like to see Sanders, and Brown get signed instead of dropping 50 mil on Wallace. I also think Maze is going to turn out to be a player. Then, I hope Wallace has a down year while Brown and Sanders have great years causing Wallace to probably lose 10-15 mil on his next contract (if he doesn't signed long term this year). That'll teach him to play hard ball.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Wallace has no cards. So, he sits out and gets overpaid by another team next year...That'll teach the Steelers...

Also, Hines reported to camp before negotiations continued on his contract...he didn't sign and then report afterward..