Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Is This Mythical Yinzer?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    ...there are few Steelers Nation fans who says Steelers lost because of Offense and defense can never do anything wrong. Steelers win because of Defense and lose because of Offense
    Those people have been listening to non-Steeler fans too much.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Backup

User Info Menu

Here's a novel concept: run the ball 50% of the time, and throw the ball 50% of the time. I bet that approach will work pretty well.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Flippy brings down run % to 60% instead of 70% i think half the steeler nation would reply to it positively.
    I was gonna say 90%, but I can't even take it that far

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Which one of you is guilty of wanting to protect Lebeau and our defense's reputation over the Steelers winning?

Which one of you likes Kordell better than Ben?

Which one of you wants to run 70% of the time?

Which one of you likes BA's use of David Johnson?

I'm getting confused recently. I'm starting to think no one wants to win anymore. Might be time for a new SuperBowl or Bust thread.
    The mythical yinzer is a strawman created by a troll. The troll advances, and then disputes, the arguments of this strawman.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    well, it was less than 45% last season. does that sound like a commitment to the run to you?
    Running game sucked last season. Why do you want to run for the sake of it? If it is not working move on to passing. Try bubble screens or 3 yards dump or RB screens instead of running the ball. It will take the same time of the clock.

If running game is working run 100% of the time but if it is not don't try to run the ball just to give your defense a breather and then blame Offense for poor scoring.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Running game sucked last season. Why do you want to run for the sake of it? If it is not working move on to passing. Try bubble screens or 3 yards dump or RB screens instead of running the ball. It will take the same time of the clock.

If running game is working run 100% of the time but if it is not don't try to run the ball just to give your defense a breather and then blame Offense for poor scoring.
    what does Redman's last quote tell you, all you need to know in my opinion. other teams knew what was coming half of the time because Arians' running plays and designs were so predictable. many this is why our running game was so ineffective...

Isaac Redman Talks about the Advantages of Pittsburgh’s New Offense, his Grasp on the System and his Chance to Start at RB

June 8, 2012 – by Brad Gagnon

On if being forced to learn an offense forces everyone to concentrate harder:

“It does. It’s gonna take everybody to go home, watch film, go home and stay in the play book. As far as — last year a lot of guys probably just took it for granted, ‘I know this, I know that,’ and maybe not as crisp as we could’ve been, especially in the red zone last year. So now every single one of us is gonna have to be in our playbook knowing exactly what we need to do and exactly where we need to be.

And also, you gotta look at it, the other teams that we play, especially in our conference, they were used to us running the same plays and kinda had our playbook down and kinda knew what we were running.

Now, they got a whole new offense that they have to prepare for.”

[URL]http://sportsradiointerviews.com/201...o-start-at-rb/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    And also, you gotta look at it, the other teams that we play, especially in our conference, they were used to us running the same plays and kinda had our playbook down and kinda knew what we were running.
    I am not so sure about that HS but hey Redman knows 1000 times more about football than me. Well i hope he is right about this though.

How many times have we complained about Red Zone offense. I think it has been the same tune since BA took over.

Todd Haley never had a great running game in Arizona if i recall correctly but he had explosive passing game and i am hoping for the same. 3 steelers WRs reaching 1000 yards this season. Mendy being used more like LT rather than trying RUTM every single freaking play.
    Last edited by grotonsteel; 06-13-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Flippy brings down run % to 60% instead of 70% i think half the steeler nation would reply to it positively.
    I'll bet you are wrong. I'd go so far as to say that not a single regular poster on this forum would want to run the ball 60% of the time. I'm talking season average here. Certain situations will demand we go heavy on the run. This idea that any significant number of Steeler fans blindly defend the defense and have no criticism of the offense is pure imagination. Most of us are going to call it like we see it on both sides of the ball.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    10 games? LeBeau's 4th quarter scheme has sucked FOR YEARS.
    This is why I have heartburn AND have drank too much beer by the end of the 4th (and high blood pressure). They HAVE had the worst 4th Q D in the league for at least 4-5 years. And I say it for almost every game at the Steeler's bar and everyone looks at me like I am crazy.

If we get a score in the 4th, the opponent seems to SCORE right after. Now, I know the other team gets paid to play and win, but it happens so much I wonder about the scheme and the conditioning of the D late in the game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The 4th quarter collapses have been common place since the Bengals killed us in the 4th quarter at the end of the 2001 season. It's not just the 4th quarter, it's also 3rd down and long. My buddy and I always prefer to see us face 3rd and short, instead 3rd and long...despite how ridiculous that sounds. I also look at the ability of smart, accurate quarterbacks to consistently carve this defense apart. We feast on the vast majority of the QB's in this league (I would bet we have one of the lowest opposing QB ratings in the league over the past decade), but the the guys we've faced who can make quick reads and deliver the ball have chewed us up more often than not.

I think part of this has been LeBeau's philosophy of keeping everything in front of you and limit the big play...his infamous "5-yard cushion". The other part has been the type of players we draft at corner. We haven't chased down a guy who can press and play man coverage...it's always the zone guy, who's smart and can tackle well. Ike is the only corner we've had since Woodson who could lock a guy down.

I have always loved the way this team plays defense, but have been critical of these flaws for many, many years. Two years ago, I took notice that LeBeau began to finally start blending in a few tight cushions and some "0" coverage after Brady shredded us. I think he immediately took notice of how effective this type of coverage could be and we targeted corners in last year's draft that can help us do a lot more of it. The quintessential example is how we played Brady last year. We pressed his receivers and suffocated them as soon as they caught the ball. I think Brady completed only one pass downfield and half his yards went to Gronkowski.

Now that Lewis, Allen, and Brown are set to take on a more prominent role in the defense, I think we'll see even more of this in 2012. If Woodley and Harrison can both stay on the field this year, I think this defense will be dominant in both phases and for 60 minutes. Maybe I'm wearing some black-n-gold goggles, but we'll see.

The Denver game was not this issue. That was a combination of LeBeau and the players selling out against the run and Ike having a wretched game against Thomas.