Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 193

Thread: What's The Problem With Rushing the Football?

  1. #171
    Just because the offense bails LeBeau out that doesn't let him off the hook when his prevent defense bites him in the ass.
    OK, so in order to make your point you include wins. I'll address that below:

    the defense blew a 4th quarter lead in Jacksonville in 2004, Ben played.

    The defense blew the lead against the RAIDERS in 2004, Ben didn't play.

    READ!
    I stand corrected on your comment.
    Understanding clearly now, you define a "blown lead" as allowing a single field goal in the 4th quarter, in a game we won anyway by scoring but a single field goal in the 4th.

    Give me a DC who gives us THREE MEASLY POINTS in the fourth, in a victory all day long.

    But clearly winning is not your priority.

  2. #172
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    OK, so in order to make your point you include wins. I'll address that below:



    I stand corrected on your comment.
    Understanding clearly now, you define a "blown lead" as allowing a single field goal in the 4th quarter, in a game we won anyway by scoring but a single field goal in the 4th.

    Give me a DC who gives us THREE MEASLY POINTS in the fourth, in a victory all day long.

    But clearly winning is not your priority.
    Winning IS my #1 priority.

    You on the other hand want running the football and protecting Dick LeBeau's reputation.

    Sorry, but when a defense allows an 80 yard TD drive to something called Curtis Painter up 7 points in the 4th quarter, and then the offense goes on the field and kicks a GW field goal? That doesn't excuse LeBeau's 4th quarter scheme or lets him off the hook.

    Case in point, that 2004 Jags game:

    The Steelers have a 14-7 lead to start the second half:

    Fist play from scrimmage? Ben 17 yards to El, sets up for 1st and 10 at the 49, perfect chance to get points, what do we do?

    Run run pass punt.

    The defense comes on the field and gives up a FG, it's 14-10 Steelers.

    Next series, the Steelers start 1st and 20.

    Run run pass punt.

    The defense comes back on the field, and gives up another FG, and it's 14-13 Steelers.

    So instead of coming out in the THIRD QUARTER, and trying to get points? We are already in "turtle mode", and what did it get them? NOTHING!

    The whole freaking half they did what you wanted, and they lost the lead.

    THEN, the offense bails them out needing a FG to win on one last possession.
    Last edited by Crash; 06-13-2012 at 01:52 PM.

  3. #173
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,106
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    My comment was made with dripping sarcasm. I'm fully aware of the fact that the more Ben or any quarterback probably drops back the more likely a bad outcome becomes, because the chances are that you're playing from behind and the defense is in "get after the quarterback" mode.

    Pappy
    Wouldn't the likelyhood of a better outcome increase if Ben weren't working behind a patchwork, musical-chairs, injury-riddled OL? What if the O is designed around those drop backs and it's not happening because of being behind?

  4. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Winning IS my #1 priority.

    You on the other hand want running the football and protecting Dick LeBeau's reputation.

    Sorry, but when a defense allows an 80 yard TD drive to something called Curtis Painter up 7 points in the 4th quarter, and then the offense goes on the field and kicks a GW field goal? That doesn't excuse LeBeau's 4th quarter scheme or lets him off the hook.

    Case in point, that 2004 Jags game:

    The Steelers have a 14-7 lead to start the second half:

    Fist play from scrimmage? Ben 17 yards to El, sets up for 1st and 10 at the 49, perfect chance to get points, what do we do?

    Run run pass punt.

    The defense comes on the field and gives up a FG, it's 14-10 Steelers.

    Next series, the Steelers start 1st and 20.

    Run run pass punt.

    The defense comes back on the field, and gives up another FG, and it's 14-13 Steelers.

    So instead of coming out in the THIRD QUARTER, and trying to get points? We are already in "turtle mode", and what did it get them? NOTHING!

    The whole freaking half they did what you wanted, and they lost the lead.

    THEN, the offense bails them out needing a FG to win on one last possession.
    Run run pass punt does not indicate a commitment to the run. It indicates a commitment to unimaginative and predictable play calling.

  5. #175
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Run run pass punt does not indicate a commitment to the run. It indicates a commitment to unimaginative and predictable play calling.
    Guess what Slap? WHIZ was the OC in that game, not Arians.

    But all I hear from brain dead sheep is how the defense didn't blow leads when we played "Cowher Ball".

  6. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Guess what Slap? WHIZ was the OC in that game, not Arians.

    But all I hear from brain dead sheep is how the defense didn't blow leads when we played "Cowher Ball".
    So, you deny that it is unimaginative play calling?

  7. #177
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,485
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    My comment was made with dripping sarcasm. I'm fully aware of the fact that the more Ben or any quarterback probably drops back the more likely a bad outcome becomes, because the chances are that you're playing from behind and the defense is in "get after the quarterback" mode.

    Pappy
    I know it was Pap. It was generalized to this topic. 17 pages in I just piggy backed your sarcasm to throw some things into the fire. Seemed like it was going out.



  8. #178
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    So, you deny that it is unimaginative play calling?
    Absolutely, but unfortunately that's what Art II wants. Run like Franco did.

  9. #179
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Absolutely, but unfortunately that's what Art II wants. Run like Franco did.
    No, Art doesn't want unimaginative playcalling...

    He could still have Arians for that...

  10. #180
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,537
    what does Redman's last quote tell you, all you need to know in my opinion. other teams knew what was coming half of the time because Arians' running plays and designs were so predictable.


    Isaac Redman Talks about the Advantages of Pittsburgh’s New Offense, his Grasp on the System and his Chance to Start at RB

    June 8, 2012 – by Brad Gagnon

    On if being forced to learn an offense forces everyone to concentrate harder:

    “It does. It’s gonna take everybody to go home, watch film, go home and stay in the play book. As far as — last year a lot of guys probably just took it for granted, ‘I know this, I know that,’ and maybe not as crisp as we could’ve been, especially in the red zone last year. So now every single one of us is gonna have to be in our playbook knowing exactly what we need to do and exactly where we need to be.

    And also, you gotta look at it, the other teams that we play, especially in our conference, they were used to us running the same plays and kinda had our playbook down and kinda knew what we were running.

    Now, they got a whole new offense that they have to prepare for.”

    http://sportsradiointerviews.com/201...o-start-at-rb/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •