Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: What's The Problem With Rushing the Football?

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Because that doesn't put the ball in Ben's hands 40 times a game.

Pappy
    Well that would be a good thing. In the 5 losses last year including the playoffs...BB averaged 42 drop backs and completed 55% of his passes with a 65% rating. In his 11 wins...BB had 32 drop backs and completed 67% of his passes with a 103% rating. 40% of the season sacks came in those 5 losses and he was sacked every 13 dropbacks on the season. Including the playoff game, BA averaged 37 passing plays per game and 27 rushing plays per game. That's a +10 on passing plays. Simply by the numbers, there isn't any evidence that BB dropping back 40+ times a game is a good thing.

On thing many people are forgetting is what impact pass pro has on the OL from a conditioning standpoint. Your pounding in the trenches is what wins your the battle of attrition. Dropping back 40+ times a game helps the defense win the battle of attrition while you self inflict. Then when the time comes where you "need to" impose your will in the run game...You already wore yourself down. When I played, I would have rather run the ball every play where the yard to go was under 7 on 2nd & 3rd and smack them in the mouth on 1st down to the point where they had to sell out against the run. Then keep them guessing against the PA when they did. You could feel their bodies wearing down as your fired out and took the wind out of them as the game wore on. It got easier and easier as the game went on and when you needed to pass there was no gas left in the tank to rush the QB and when you needed to run the push came from the OL. That part of football will NEVER change even in this QB league.

The Steelers have the QB and can get in a shoot out with the best of them. Come post season, there isn't a next week if the coaches across the field dialed it up. The sure equalizer in football is an effective run game. That is a whole story in itself. But getting positive plays on the ground on 1st down thickens the DC playbook on 2nd. Having shown you can run the ball keeps that playbook thick on 3rd & medium. Equally important is the fact that the seconds are ticking away means your D is resting and making adjustments between series. Just being able to improve the effectiveness and dial it up if & when you have to will seperate the Steelers from the pack. That will put them in a small group of teams where, if needed, they could use it to take away from the other teams strength. This passing offense will benefit and I don't anticipate a drop off. If the D picks up the TO & sacks now that Woodley & Harrison are healthy...The play count & opportunities will be there.

Legend
    In the 5 losses last year including the playoffs...BB averaged 42 drop backs and completed 55% of his passes with a 65% rating.

And 4 of the five losses the defense gave up points on their opening series. 3 of which, before the offense ever saw a blade of grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Who said anything about losses? You claimed that LeBeau's defense wasn't blowing leads when they played Cowher Ball.

Once again, with facts, that is proven to be inaccurate.
    Oh so NOW you define blown leads as including WINS? Up by 14 we win by 7? Is that what you mean?
    That is too funny.
    Is your case THAT WEAK CRASH?
    A skeptic might think that you are changing the debate.

But let us go by that definition. Are you now saying that you were talking about the 2004 game that we won because you said "Ben didn't play" and he was in the 2004 game.

We all know you meant the 2005 game so PLEASE tell us how DL was at fault?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-13-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    And 4 of the five losses the defense gave up points on their opening series. 3 of which, before the offense ever saw a blade of grass.

[/COLOR]
    The Steelers went 1-5 for 3 points in their opening drives in those games. I don't see how 3 punts, an INT, and one FG equates to the O pulling their weight. I'm not dismissing the Steelers D by any stretch. They looked aged and slow as the year went on. There is room for improvement on both side of the ball.

Legend
    Oh so NOW you define blown leads as including WINS?
    Always have. Just because the offense bails LeBeau out that doesn't let him off the hook when his prevent defense bites him in the ass.

Are you talking about the 2004 game that we won because you said "Ben didn't play" and he was in the 2004 game.

Oh for Christ sake, the defense blew a 4th quarter lead in Jacksonville in 2004, Ben played.

The defense blew the lead against the RAIDERS in 2004, Ben didn't play.

READ!

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Simply by the numbers, there isn't any evidence that BB dropping back 40+ times a game is a good thing.

The Steelers have the QB and can get in a shoot out with the best of them.
    Great point JPN.
    This is why you want a 15 mil QB even on a more balanced attack.
    Ben is the most important guy.
    But balance make him (frankly any QB) better.

Legend
    The Steelers went 1-5 for 3 points in their opening drives in those games. I don't see how 3 punts, an INT, and one FG equates to the O pulling their weight. I'm not dismissing the Steelers D by any stretch. They looked aged and slow as the year went on. There is room for improvement on both side of the ball.
    Absolutely. But for most of the people here. Because this defense can beat up on cream puffs all year they feel as if there is no problem with this defense.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Great point JPN.
    This is why you want a 15 mil QB even on a more balanced attack.
    Ben is the most important guy.
    But balance make him (frankly any QB) better.
    Yeah all that running made the offense look real good for 3 of the 4 games they played when Ben was out in 2010.

Or against the Ravens in 2009.

Well that would be a good thing. In the 5 losses last year including the playoffs...BB averaged 42 drop backs and completed 55% of his passes with a 65% rating. In his 11 wins...BB had 32 drop backs and completed 67% of his passes with a 103% rating. 40% of the season sacks came in those 5 losses and he was sacked every 13 dropbacks on the season. Including the playoff game, BA averaged 37 passing plays per game and 27 rushing plays per game. That's a +10 on passing plays. Simply by the numbers, there isn't any evidence that BB dropping back 40+ times a game is a good thing.

On thing many people are forgetting is what impact pass pro has on the OL from a conditioning standpoint. Your pounding in the trenches is what wins your the battle of attrition. Dropping back 40+ times a game helps the defense win the battle of attrition while you self inflict. Then when the time comes where you "need to" impose your will in the run game...You already wore yourself down. When I played, I would have rather run the ball every play where the yard to go was under 7 on 2nd & 3rd and smack them in the mouth on 1st down to the point where they had to sell out against the run. Then keep them guessing against the PA when they did. You could feel their bodies wearing down as your fired out and took the wind out of them as the game wore on. It got easier and easier as the game went on and when you needed to pass there was no gas left in the tank to rush the QB and when you needed to run the push came from the OL. That part of football will NEVER change even in this QB league.

The Steelers have the QB and can get in a shoot out with the best of them. Come post season, there isn't a next week if the coaches across the field dialed it up. The sure equalizer in football is an effective run game. That is a whole story in itself. But getting positive plays on the ground on 1st down thickens the DC playbook on 2nd. Having shown you can run the ball keeps that playbook thick on 3rd & medium. Equally important is the fact that the seconds are ticking away means your D is resting and making adjustments between series. Just being able to improve the effectiveness and dial it up if & when you have to will seperate the Steelers from the pack. That will put them in a small group of teams where, if needed, they could use it to take away from the other teams strength. This passing offense will benefit and I don't anticipate a drop off. If the D picks up the TO & sacks now that Woodley & Harrison are healthy...The play count & opportunities will be there.
    My comment was made with dripping sarcasm. I'm fully aware of the fact that the more Ben or any quarterback probably drops back the more likely a bad outcome becomes, because the chances are that you're playing from behind and the defense is in "get after the quarterback" mode.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    My comment was made with dripping sarcasm. I'm fully aware of the fact that the more Ben or any quarterback probably drops back the more likely a bad outcome becomes, because the chances are that you're playing from behind and the defense is in "get after the quarterback" mode.

Pappy
    You may understand that. Most here don't.

They'd rather run the ball. quit, and lose a game without even trying to win all for the sake of "balance".